Species recommendation, for beginner with allergies.

boina

Lady of the mites
Boina certainly made me feel ill informed of my own ailments
That certainly wasn't my intention. Some things I mentioned are just specialized knowledge that you don't really need to deal with allergies on a day to day basis, so I don't really expect many people to know them :)

Does this mean I don't have to worry, despite my dust mite allergies? Maybe I should just ask to get haired and see at the next show,
I wouldn't worry anymore than anyone should worry about those pesky hairs. You won't be affected differently than anyone else. And 'trying it out' doesn't work - you need repeated exposure to see and feel any effects. First time you'll feel nothing.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
1. Is my allergy concern relevant? (it could be the hairs, are just an irritation, I have seen complaints of allergies associated with the hair a few times, but have never seen it substantiated. Is it possible that this is just some yapping on something they know nothing about.

2. If it is a relevant concern I am not trying to use my allergies to jump straight too keeping Baboons. This is a serious question, and I am not trying to find a loophole, So what New World Species should I try to avoid, just based on the kicking. (for instance I understand Brachypelma Boehmei are NOTRIOUSLY bad kickers.)

3. Same, but what would be good species to keep on my list, or add based on the "no kickers"

4. given I am immensely more worried about the hair kicking than bites (no venom allergies from bees, wasps, hornets, Solenopsis invicta, Centipedes, true spiders, or Scorpions. I can handle bolty, I have.) are there any Old world species that fit part of the bill of easier to care for than the rest (much like some New Worlds are expert level species, that you avoid completely as new to hobby)

Thank you for any advice you give.
and Again I am not trying to use my allergies to excuse my self to getting a species that I shouldn't or am not prepared for. I am just getting my options in order so I can continue on the path of research.

Keep in mind I am a very experienced keeper, BUT NOT of tarantulas.
1. It's something to know yes, but one allergy is independent of another in many cases. There's no way of knowing a priori if you would be allergic to Ts or not, unless you get exposed to urticating setae from a NW T. There are some species of NW that lack urticating setae. They are not beginner species, and one genus has fairly strong venom compared to its NW cousins. This would be the Psalmo. genus. The other species w/out such setae are just fast that's all.

2. Good, don't get OW as a first time T, it's a bad idea.

3. There is no T that won't kick, though C. versicolor doesn't flick, it rubs its urticating setae on the surface of its target. If you want a T that is HIGHLY reluctant to flick, get G. pulchripes or E. sp. Red. Do not get a species from the Brachypelma genus. It's a total crap shoot if they will flick or not. Some will w/out question, ie more likely, and those less likely, it's a crap shoot. I know from experience.

4. Yes, there are. The best genus for OW starters would be Ceratogyrus. I. mira is a dwarf OW species, the only true trapdoor terrestrial tarantula. However you may never see it. Also. M. balfouri is good too.

Also, you may be one of the rare individuals that is not affected by setae. I doubt it based on what you said, but it's possible.

I'm an experienced keeper and herps and amphibians, few things were useful. Ts a completely different learning curve.

I don't stick my face in their enclosures though,
Well, real men take the setae and sprinkle it on their cereal!;)

First time you'll feel nothing.
First time I was nailed by setae, I felt it.

Last edited by a moderator:

boina

Lady of the mites
First time I was nailed by setae, I felt it.
Ok, bad wording on my part. You may feel something (really? I didn't feel anything), but you won't have an allergic reaction.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ok, bad wording on my part. You may feel something (really? I didn't feel anything), but you won't have an allergic reaction.
But the little blister bumps on my skin due to setae are indeed an allergic reaction. ;)

Bierschneeman

Arachnopeon
I greatly appreciate all the advice, I am taking it all in. Over the weekend I spent the majority of my time researching the Ts and care of the ones yall recommended, we have come to conclusions.

1.We will get two Tarantula's One for her, one for me. that way we can deal with one more to ourselves.

3. She is getting a Terrestial. You guys really talked up Homoeomma sp. red and Grammastola Pulchra as her two faves, but if we cant than some sort of Grammastola.

4. I am loving the whole no kicking, rub to get haired. so I am going for Arboreal Caribena versicolor. I understand This will be a faster species, (how would you compare this too...hamster..texas giant centipedes.. .hatchling milk snakes? )we are also collecting everything we need for it, and upgrading our roach colony.

any specific recommendations for reading or watching on these? (lots of reading on arachnoboards) Is Tom Moran correct in his versicolor reject the humidity concept? I am seeing a lot of aggreement.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
What? You were reacting allergic on first contact? Faszinating!
Yep! Not happy about it. They are the only thing I’m allergic to that I’m aware of.

I greatly appreciate all the advice, I am taking it all in. Over the weekend I spent the majority of my time researching the Ts and care of the ones yall recommended, we have come to conclusions.

1.We will get two Tarantula's One for her, one for me. that way we can deal with one more to ourselves.

3. She is getting a Terrestial. You guys really talked up Homoeomma sp. red and Grammastola Pulchra as her two faves, but if we cant than some sort of Grammastola.

4. I am loving the whole no kicking, rub to get haired. so I am going for Arboreal Caribena versicolor. I understand This will be a faster species, (how would you compare this too...hamster..texas giant centipedes.. .hatchling milk snakes? )we are also collecting everything we need for it, and upgrading our roach colony.

any specific recommendations for reading or watching on these? (lots of reading on arachnoboards) Is Tom Moran correct in his versicolor reject the humidity concept? I am seeing a lot of aggreement.

I don’t watch his stuff. What humidity concept?

I have an idea of what you’re going to say, but I’ll wait, not assume.

Last edited by a moderator:

boina

Lady of the mites
Is Tom Moran correct in his versicolor reject the humidity concept? I am seeing a lot of aggreement.
Tom Moran is usually right. The 'humidity concept' doesn't apply to any tarantula. You either keep the substrate moist or dry. With versicolors you keep it dry.

Bierschneeman

Arachnopeon
I don’t watch his stuff. What humidity concept?

I have an idea of what you’re going to say, but I’ll wait, not assume.
like boina said.
what it is I see a lot of information on the internet saying keep the enclosure extremely humid (80%) and he says that This was probably thd reason for so much of the SADS (Sudden Avic Death Syndrome) as people were freaking out over humidity and leaving them in stuffy poorly ventilated enclosures. He instead ( and i found a few that agree) suggests ventilation ventilation ventilation, keep substrate dry, water the sides so the versicolor can drink.

I am pretty convinced he is right, since i see agreement in other good sources. and because i believd the opposite of whatever 'Deadly Tarantula Girl' says, and she says stuffy and humid. But i asked because i am still finding a Ton of info backwards.

i want to be absolutely sure.

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer

I think versicolor is a good idea. The only thing you may be surprised by (compared to snakes and centipedes) is them jumping. During a rehouse mine leapt off the edge of the enclosure. Startled me a bit. So just be aware of that possibility.

Bierschneeman

Arachnopeon
putting my sources on the table.
ignoring the stacks of info that suggest massive humidity.
from here, not finished reading,
http://arachnoboards.com/threads/avicularia-husbandry.282549/#post-2461396

also here
http://arachnoboards.com/threads/avicularia-care.291340/

I like how Petkoe put a Canary in the cave (the plant as indicator ofgood care) also like the drainage and substrate layers as i do this successfully a lot.

Here is Tom Morans

I did not keep links to basic care sheets, nor bad keepers, nor pet store" buy my stuff" care sheets, or anything that didnt offer anything new not already covered in the sources i just layed out.

Again I am looking to clarify the portions that disagree (like Petkoes plant, like tom morans obsessive ventilation, and Tom Morans mentioning poor ventilation in Jamies arboreals enclosure but at the same time using one. I wonder about that, because we might go with Jamie for our first tarantula).

Last edited:

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
You can always drill more holes in Jamie's cages. Just use a drill bit designed for plexiglass, otherwise it will crack (unless you are a drill master)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
like boina said.
what it is I see a lot of information on the internet saying keep the enclosure extremely humid (80%) and he says that This was probably thd reason for so much of the SADS (Sudden Avic Death Syndrome) as people were freaking out over humidity and leaving them in stuffy poorly ventilated enclosures. He instead ( and i found a few that agree) suggests ventilation ventilation ventilation, keep substrate dry, water the sides so the versicolor can drink.

I am pretty convinced he is right, since i see agreement in other good sources. and because i believd the opposite of whatever 'Deadly Tarantula Girl' says, and she says stuffy and humid. But i asked because i am still finding a Ton of info backwards.

i want to be absolutely sure.
I see now. Tom's ideas on Avic husbandry as you describe them are not new, nor unique to him. Many serious Avic keepers/breeders on here have long that if one cannot replicate where these Ts come from, you are better keeping them dry. It's humid where they live, but they aren't dying out of trees etc. They live because of the mass air transfer found in the environment. I've been to rain forest, it doesn't smell like a moist/stuffy Avic container. This is something many of us know.