1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Species of Springtails/Isopods

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by pannaking22, Apr 23, 2013.

1. pannaking22

pannaking22 Arachnoprince Active Member

Advertisement
    Does anyone have specific species of springtails or isopods they recommend as cleaners? I've seen them advertised on a couple different sites, but it's pretty easy to just go outside in the woods and pick up some of each by flipping logs and pulling bark. Is that a good idea, or could there be some sort of parasite or contaminant that could harm my tarantulas?

2. cmcghee358

cmcghee358 Arachnoknight

Most people that collect wild isopods allow 2nd or 3rd generations to form before allowing them into their enclosures.

By the way, I'm jealous!

• Like Like x 1
  3. edgeofthefreak

edgeofthefreak Arachno-titled! Arachnosupporter

My springtails came with a dwarf sansevieria plant that I adore, but I also get tiny red centipedes with that same plant. Something about it's roots... I think the two creatures fight it out, so I always see more 'pedes than 'tails.

For isos, I grab em off my window sill. I will say this method does have hazards, namely I'm on the 3rd floor of an old apartment building and have no idea what pesticides/cleaners the people below use.
    (Mostly, this building is rotting away, so I figure my isos are native to my walls, and I don't chemically kill insects, nor clean heh)

I'm fairly certain the isopods push back against the centipedes... when I had all 3 (pedes-pods-n-tails) I'd see plenty of all... this winter, mostly cute lil red centipedes!

4. pannaking22

pannaking22 Arachnoprince Active Member

Awesome, I'll collect some over the weekend then and allow them to breed. I don't have to worry too much about mold at this point, but I'm going to be getting some tarantulas that need a higher humidity soon so it's just in case ;) Thanks for the thoughts guys!