Sparassidae Photos - Huntsman of All Species

crpy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
more eggsac makin'

Too cool, I was wondering if any body knows what spp. is in St. Thomas in the virgin islands. I grew up there and they were all over my house. They would run across the cieling beams at night, my sister needed thearapy for this, lol

They were large and bright orange definately huntsmans.
crpy

proper_tea

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Too cool, I was wondering if any body knows what spp. is in St. Thomas in the virgin islands. I grew up there and they were all over my house. They would run across the cieling beams at night, my sister needed thearapy for this, lol

They were large and bright orange definately huntsmans.
crpy
Wish I knew. If my dad were still around I'd ask him, he lived on St. Thomas for a number of years.

proper_tea

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Tuned Beat...

Did you take the pictures for Botar's site?

very nice shot...

-c

proper_tea

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
well imitation is the highest flattery...

seriously though... I saw one that you posted in the pokies thread too... very nice. I always wonder how people like you manage to get relatively fast spiders to sit still on something like that slate (or a bathtub) you're using there for the background. My huntsmen are both super fast, and I never want to have to even move them to a new enclosure, and same with my pokies... fast fast fast.

Tunedbeat

Arachnolord
Old Timer

seriously though... I saw one that you posted in the pokies thread too... very nice. I always wonder how people like you manage to get relatively fast spiders to sit still on something like that slate (or a bathtub) you're using there for the background. My huntsmen are both super fast, and I never want to have to even move them to a new enclosure, and same with my pokies... fast fast fast.
Very true, It may look like I imitated his work, but that was not my intention. More so, to learn or get a grasp of the lighting and techniques used in some of his images. Simply, to build or improve upon. Also, it was one of the assignments for my photography class. :) .. I find, the background works well for Ts & spider photography.

To tell you the truth, the huntsmen was very easy to shoot. Once they setting into a good position for a shot, it's better to not breath heavily or do any fast movement while in close proximity with the subject. It just takes a bit of patience and dedication to get the shot you're after. And, might I add, experience. But, of course anybody can take a picture. ;)

crpy

Arachnoking
Old Timer

I have my Huntsmans in kritter containers. They are always on the lid so to clean the container I take the lid off and the huntaman stays on the lid. If you blow on the lid they walk on the floor under the lid. Then you can gently lift the lid for a photo shot. I do this when changing containers

proper_tea

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My tan huntsman seems decently chill... and the T. Modesta isn't bad either so long as you don't touch her... but she'll freak out, run around the container, and throw threat poses when I mist her, and I touched her leg once with a chopstick, and she bolted around her exo-terra. Fast...

But yeah, in all of the pics I've seen you post recently, the slate has been wonderful for bringing out the colors in the spiders... keep it up!

wesley flower

Arachnopeon
what a great thread.
i have seen some really lovely spiders, i live in the uk and i am really interested in getting more, different Sparassids, i have T. modesta, H. venatoria and P. delfini, and i really really want more.
does anyone know where i can get these?

also i read that someone thought a sac was phantom just because the T. modesta had moulted, if it has in the past been mated then it is possible that the sac may still be fertile, this is because aranaomorphs do not loose their form of spermathecae during ecdysis thus the male gametes can be saved.

proper_tea

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i read that someone thought a sac was phantom just because the T. modesta had moulted, if it has in the past been mated then it is possible that the sac may still be fertile, this is because aranaomorphs do not loose their form of spermathecae during ecdysis thus the male gametes can be saved.
Well... she hasn't eaten it yet, and is still guarding it, so there's hope... and suggestions as far as how it should be kept? Moist? indoor humidity (pretty humid here anyway)? Should I mist? She seems to freak out when I mist her.

wesley flower

Arachnopeon
Well... she hasn't eaten it yet, and is still guarding it, so there's hope... and suggestions as far as how it should be kept? Moist? indoor humidity (pretty humid here anyway)? Should I mist? She seems to freak out when I mist her.
as these spiders are from Malaysia where alot of the terrain is rainforest, i keep mine with a minimum humidity of 70%. but to be quite honest i am not sure. mine seemed to be eating like a horse and has now produced a sac (fingers crossed).

i mist daily just to be on the safe side, but i dont soak her, basically i spray the decorative leaves in the encolsure, as in the past i have had a problem in my native araneomorphs drying out.

sorry i cant be of much help.

Apophis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Cerbalus sp. :)

Any update on the ID of these guys? Jason? anyone?

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
nice shots!i have mine labeled as Eusparassus sp."Sunai"
wether or not thats correct i cant tell ya