1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Southern California Beetles

Discussion in 'Insects, Other Invertebrates & Arthropods' started by GQ., May 15, 2006.

1. GQ.

GQ. Arachnodemon Old Timer

Here are a few beetle photos from the last year. I'm going to make an effort to photograph more beetle and more invertebrates in general from now on.

Cotinis mutabilis - Green Fig Beetle

Poyphylla decemlineata - Ten-ilned June Beetle

Trichiasida sp.

Scyphophorus yuccae - Yucca Weevil

Trigonoscuta sp. - Dune Weevil
  2. cacoseraph

cacoseraph ArachnoGod Old Timer

i think i caught two of those ten lined june beetles one time and put one on each of my shoulders and walked around with them on for about an hour

if i poked them the beetles would hiss pretty loudly.

i actually went a bought cigs with them on my shoulders. eventually one flew away and i put the other one on a bush by where i found it.

good times
  3. GQ.

Heheh. Yep, their hiss is actually fairly loud. :) I think the one pictured is a male. If i recall correctly, the males are the ones with the little horn looking projections. The horns are actually made up of several feather like projections that separate. I wish I could have taken a photo of the the feathers separated. It suprised me the first time I saw it. I initially thought the horns were solid.
  4. Yes the beetle you have is a male(the "horns" are actually feathered antenna used for picking up females hormones). Do you breed any of these beetles?
  5. OMG fuzzy beetle
  6. GQ.

No I have yet to try my hand at breeding beetles. I don't have the room or time for any more projects. I also don't have a ready supply of decomposing wood. I wouldn't mind giving it a shot someday. I would make sure to have a nice sized backyard pile of decomposing wood before I would try my hand with the beetles.