Southern Califorina Spider and Other Arachnid Enthusiasts (SCABIES)

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Southern Califorina Spider and Other Arachnid Enthusiasts (SCABIES)

Hi,

i am trying to find as many locals as possible in the SoCA area. if you are interested in getting emails about er "amateur" local events please email me (cacoseraph@yahoo.com). right now there is a monthly hike & hunt (we have been on like 6-8!) and i am thinking about maybe trying to do an invert trade/sale day at a local petstore (haven't talked to them about it yet and i would want to wait until i could get at least ten hobbyist there). we have also done one group purchase and are looking to possibly do more. we are also lookign to do some kind of bug bar-b-que to hang out (probably drink alcohol type beverages if >=21) and show off our bugs and what not.

If this sounds at all interesting please email me back with what kind of stuff you would like to do or whatever

andrew/cacoseraph

check out this thread
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=87763

Southern
California
Arachnid,
Bugs,
Invertebrates, and
Entomological
Society

(we have caught and taken pictures of some pretty sweet true spiders and other arachnids. i will try to quote post pics of some of the good stuff :))

The next event is get together in San Diego on June 30th!

June 30th, SCABIES is meeting up with GQ. and he is going to teach us how to hunt for tarantulas!!

See the arachnofunction thread for details!

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
some scenery and spider and other arachnid pics from Azusa, CA

some scenery and spider and other arachnid pics from Azusa, CA

May 25, 2007: Friday

Scenery

zoom

zoom

zoom

zoom

didn't even see the baby (mate?) in real life. only saw it after i got home.

zoom

this spider was quite small. only a couple mm bodylength and a few/4 mm legspan, i would say. and fast! Thomisidae crab spider?

zoom

i thought this guy was pretty sharp looking. a small pic of it almost on my hand for size reference. i am a fairly big guy, i guess.

zoom

This is probably my favorite spider find of the day. i am regretting not taking it... but i do believe i remember where the tree/rock i found it are. It spins cribellate web. i thought it was a black hole spider, Kukulcania sp. at first. Now i have no idea. Maybe it is some kind of Filistidae (or Gnaphosidae, are they cribellate?) or Segestriidae? Seg is cribellate, at least in part, it looks

zoom

zoom

size reference. it is not a huge spider. but it is a looker!

8+)

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I envy you guy, but thanks for sharing!

I think that last one is an Amaurobiid. They are cribellates of that size and shape.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i can remember looking at bug books when i was like 5,6,7 years old and falling in love with trap door spiders... i always wanted to keep one as a pet. when i got in the bug hobby i vowed i would catch a Bothriocyrtum californicum... it was every bit as cool and wonderful as i was hoping!

thanks GQ.!

[...]

Trapdoor Spiders

This was absolutely awesome......getting to see actual trapdoor spider burrows in person! Pictures can only tell you so much....

They are actually quite distinctive, and not so hard to tell appart from the rest of the ground.

DIG DIG DIG!!!

Andrew also found his own (as well as others in the group)
He attempted (and kinda succeeded) to get the entire burrow out in one peice.
Warren actually got the last trapdoor of the day, and pulled out a huge female with an eggsac!!! [sorry, no picture!]

See the door?

[...]
-Neshan W. Sarkisian (NBond1986)

S.C.A.B.I.E.S. official something something
with my newly upgraded trap door eyes i decided to check out a place i have hiked in a number of times in my prebughobby years... i thougth i remembered where a trapdoor might be but i couldn't find it

... i *did* find what i believe to be a folding-door spider's somewhat recently abandoned burrow though! i saved the "evidence" so i will try to get pics of it somehow. it was very different than the CA trapdoor... the trapdoor spider's burrow was WELL lined with silk... the folding-door was barely lined at all. i can't wait to find a folding-door!

Last edited:

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
wow! there are some really goodsized trapdoors out there,very impressive:clap:

NBond1986

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I think you coulda chosen a better title for this thread....

saaaay....something like.....

Southern California Arachnid, Bug, Invertebrate, Entomological Society (SCABIES)

....as opposed to "Southern California Spider and Other Arachnid Enthusiasts (SCABIES)"

hehehehe

NBond1986

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Bothriocyrtum californicum WEIRD PROBLEM!!!

Hey SCABIES just posted this about one of the girls we caught:

I don't know what this is.

This girl was wild caught on June 30th in San Diego.

She has yet to build a burrow, but that's pretty normal.

I checked in on her today, and saw THIS:

Do you see that weird blister-looking thing on the right side of her abdomen? Could it be some sort of parasite?

I thought for a second that it could be a tarantula hawk larva, but then I realized that victims are usually paralyzed.

She didn't have this when I caught her (at least I don't think she did......can't really tell in the capture pictures because of all the dirt.

Anyone have any ideas??? She doesn't have it on any other part of her body, as far as I can tell......just this big blistery balloon on the right abdomen.

Anyone think they can help me? Poor girl.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Last edited:

BiologicalJewels

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
sssssshhhhh..... ;)

would be nice to have some more people interested in natives... took me a while, but golly are they cool :p

SDiego

Arachnosquire
What is a cool web spider in Southern California that can be raised in captivity. Not an orb weaver, but maybe one that uses sticky silk to catch crawling bugs.

SDiego

Arachnosquire
So these are in Southern California? I looked at this list, and it seems there's three species this far south: arizonica, geophila and utahana. Do you know if any one of these produces the cool webs, and if so, where can you find them. Would like to keep one and raise it, in addition to my GBB tarantula.

andred82vert

Arachnopeon
I'm from La Mirada 90638 (near anaheim), and i'd love to go field collecting with some locals :cool:

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
So these are in Southern California? I looked at this list, and it seems there's three species this far south: arizonica, geophila and utahana. Do you know if any one of these produces the cool webs, and if so, where can you find them. Would like to keep one and raise it, in addition to my GBB tarantula.
they should all make pretty neat webs. whatever i find makes awesome webs.

I'm from La Mirada 90638 (near anaheim), and i'd love to go field collecting with some locals :cool:
just missed a hike this last weekend. should be going in a couple weeks, though. kinda a busy bug time of year, lots of events and stuff going on
do you go to the Los Angeles Natural History Museum Bugfair? my bug group usually has a pretty nice setup there

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
... i *did* find what i believe to be a folding-door spider's somewhat recently abandoned burrow though! i saved the "evidence" so i will try to get pics of it somehow. it was very different than the CA trapdoor... the trapdoor spider's burrow was WELL lined with silk... the folding-door was barely lined at all. i can't wait to find a folding-door!
well, that turned out to be an Apomastus. not a folding door, but a sweet little myg none-the-less

i don't have an exact count... but not even counting tarantulas... i think i have seen about 20 or so myg species in the wild, in CA :D

SDiego

Arachnosquire
Yeah there is a lot going on in California. This past weekend all types of bugs were out, and spiders. The baby orb weavers are busy. Funnel web spiders are all over the place. Saw a ton of ladybugs in the field, beetles and lizards were out. Pretty soon the butterflies will be here, then the moths in the summer. Didn't see any snakes or scorpions, but I know they are out there, they are really good at hiding during the day and I'm not poking around in holes. It seems like every year April in Cali is when the spiders and bugs kick into high gear.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
for myself, there isn't really a month in SoCA where i can't find something good. got to love it!

i saw a baby scorp out under a board last weekend... and snakes :D

i'm getting pretty ok at spotting Anuroctonus burrow, too :D

oh, and trapdoor type mygs are open for biz. well, Apomastus are... i didn't see any Megahexura webs, as i was hoping :/