South American giant breeders?

KennyGee

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Anyone know of a good reptuable breeder of the south american giant centipedes?

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I don't. I don't think there are many centipede breeders in any country. I think people are just happy to get babies now and then. Are you looking for a specific species? Are you in South America? I think most centipedes are wild caught, then, when people happen to get babies, they sell or trade them using the mail. It'd be cool if you actually found a breeder though.

Randolph XX()

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have the same question too
is there any?
maybe some hobbyists down in S.America just remain low profile unlike us....

KennyGee

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i forgot the specific name but its the biggist centipede in the world

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
oh, hehe, I got a funny feeling when I read your question. Now I see. Yea, this is a very very old topic on this forum and probably others like it. You can read allot about the species if you do a 'search' on this forum. I think there are allot of big ones down there. I'm not great with scientific names but you could type in centipede, and viridicornis. Then try galapagoensis and then gigantea. Probably a better way to do that so you might wait for someone else to say how on this forum. Allot of big centipedes out there. You have any?

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
KennyGee said:
Anyone know of a good reptuable breeder of the south american giant centipedes?
Hi Kenny,

there aren't any 'breeders' of Scolopendra gigantea at the moment, as centipedes in general are pretty hard to breed. There have been some isolated successes with WC females laying eggs, but not much more than that. If you want to buy a S. gigantea, you'll have to keep your eyes on the classifieds, as they tend to get sold pretty quickly.

Cheers,

Geography Guy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If anyone cares, through my experiences I found it's easier not to buy a SA centipede from SA. I am working with someone in Copenhagen who has a lot. But I have dealers in Lagos, Abuja, HCMC, Karachi, Dar es Salaam, Nairobi and Manila who have some giant centipedes. But I might have a dealer in Sao Paulo or Manaus with giant pedes.

Cheers,