SOs Who Don't Like Spiders

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
I don't have those issues aas I am as single as anyone possibly could be (never even dated), while finding someone who may be curious is a plus, I like the idea of trying to convert someone into a fellow hobbyist. Maybe by the time I do (or if) meet someone, I will already have 40+ tarantulas.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
In my humble opinion, if he has a genuine phobia, you should have respect and compassion for that. I wouldn’t ever ask my husband to come caving with me, that would be a nightmare for him. (Though he’s amazingly tolerant of all the bugs.) Human relationships come before pets. Maybe slow down the collecting and have a frank discussion about whether he thinks he could get used to the T’s a little at a time, and if not, be creative about solving the problem, like maybe keep them somewhere else like at the office or something. Just my two cents.
While i understand your point, i don't understand why someone would object to Theraphosid in a house. They are in an enclosure, which can be locked if needed. It is not like the spiders are running around biting people and eating birds. I hate centipedes. But if my SO would fall in love over them, and made sure they cannot escape, i would be fine with him getting some. My spiders are not in the living room but up on my attic so he doesn't even has to see them.
I don't understand what the big deal is really. Now, if you're of a type to handle and scare the crap out of people just for fun, i could understand the extreme reactions. But not if you're a competent, cautious keeper. The word phobia is being far too easily used imo.

@Shampain88 come on now.. You know like severe women don't you... :D

@Chris LXXIX yes, this one gets boring after a while :) so i like to use the other one. It more conveys my actual face too... :p

athlete96

Arachnosquire
My BF is pretty interested in them actually. He'll come over and walk straight over to them, ask how they're doing, and look to see if any grew a bit bigger. He adores my 1.5" B. albo, and the stupid little 1/10" K. brunnipes I have. When I told him I wanted a scorpion he was all for that too.

We do have one issue.

He hates worms. I feed mealworms and hornworms. When he's over and I have to feed... :angelic:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Did any of you discover discomfort or resistance from your significant other when it came to owning large pet spiders?
Never, because those types of people are a complete waste of time for a relationship, nothing but dead weight to me.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Never, because those types of people are a complete waste of time for a relationship, nothing but dead weight to me.
Hallelujah, amen. Life is too short to spend it beside someone who can't support something as simple as a hobby. Or, in many of our cases, it's not just a hobby-- it's a passion. You really shouldn't dwell on people who can't support your passions.

Not only that, but it's just going to lead to problems in the future. Especially depending on how bad their intolerance is. IE: If they eventually decide "enough is enough" and try to forbid you from getting anymore tarantulas, you're gonna fight. If you have to sneak around and keep each new purchase a secret, you're gonna fight. What's the point? If you can't see eye to eye on something that is important to you, or work it out so that you do see eye to eye, it's likely not going to work out.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Your statement about the Northeast overly generalizes to the point of being untrue. It's like saying the people in the Deep South are stupid hillbillies- also false.

The Deep South is hardly a tolerant region of the USA all things being equal. Also, there are equally a good amount of dumb and smart people in both regions as an example. Suggesting the Northeast isn't particularly known for intelligence is not true. Mind you most of the educational changes regarding the teaching of creationism and anything else that is non-science (intelligent design) to be taught in a SCIENCE class do not come from the Northeast, they come from the South and Midwest.

The states of NH and Alabama have more in common in many ways than what NH has in common with Mass or CT.

Also, while the South likes to be all preachy about their strong moral/family values, they typically have the highest divorce rates of the USA by region.

The most tolerant people regionally, are found in the Midwest.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Your statement about the Northeast overly generalizes to the point of being untrue. It's like saying the people in the Deep South are stupid hillbillies- also false.

The Deep South is hardly a tolerant region of the USA all things being equal. Also, there are equally a good amount of dumb and smart people in both regions as an example. Suggesting the Northeast isn't particularly known for intelligence is not true. Mind you most of the educational changes regarding the teaching of creationism and anything else that is non-science (intelligent design) to be taught in a SCIENCE class do not come from the Northeast, they come from the South and Midwest.

The states of NH and Alabama have more in common in many ways than what NH has in common with Mass or CT.

Also, while the South likes to be all preachy about their strong moral/family values, they typically have the highest divorce rates of the USA by region.

The most tolerant people regionally, are found in the Midwest.
I am from the north east, born and raised, I am not talking fake news. You cannot accurately tell me what does or does not happen up here unless you are also here and see the inner workings of life here every day like I do. Let's leave it at that since I am not going to try and convince you of the truth that I see with my own eyes every day. I have been at the receiving end of all manner of discrimination since early school days.

Just the other day someone at work was talking to another person and they said "It's not like up here where we are all in the know, those people down 'there' can't help it" Basically implying anyone south of the Mason Dixon line is an ignorant child.

Let's get back to invertebrates and save the political bickering for the Watering Hole.

On topic with the OP of this thread: there is a dating site specifically designed for people with exotic (or just a high affinity for) pets in general. I think it does a great job of helping those who may be on the farther fringes of society's concept of "normal" by cutting out the red tape and basically implying that if you are here on this particular site, in comparison to all the other dating sites out there, then you have an affinity for, or are an owner of, any number of species of animals as either pets or as responsible charges.

It's called "Love Me Love My Pets"

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
unless you are also here
I am born and raised there too, lived in the other regions as well. We have different experiences that's all. Your experience is no more the absolute truth for all who are from there, than mine is. There are a spectrum of people that are from there, nothing more.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I am born and raised there too, lived in the other regions as well. We have different experiences that's all. Your experience is no more the absolute truth for all who are from there, than mine is. There are a spectrum of people that are from there, nothing more.
Take it to PM if you wish to discuss farther, I do not want to clog up the Tarantula forums with off topic replies.

On topic: @Lil Paws have you heard of the site I mentioned before? What are your thoughts on it?

Lil Paws

Arachnosquire
On topic: @Lil Paws have you heard of the site I mentioned before? What are your thoughts on it?
I have not heard of it, but I am not surprised it exists. I think it is a fantastic idea—especially for hard-core animal enthusiasts who really are into their pets, have exotics, have a career in animal science/care, and/or have more the average number. I know of a couple friends who would use it, and I might have as well if I was single. I have a couple friends who are not animal people, but I cannot imagine ever being in love with someone who did not like animals. It is too big of part of who I am.

Andrea B

Arachnopeon
My fiance actually introduced me to keeping Ts. He has a g. rosea he has had for 20 years. But that's his only T. His other pets are fish. He was ok with me getting one T. But now that I have been bitten by the tarantula keeping bug, he is getting annoyed. Lol. He can get over it. :rolleyes: He'll accept it. I'm not planning on becoming a breeder or anything like that.

StampFan

Arachnodemon
You know , people really should count their blessings. There are so many other ways you (or anyone for that matter) could get in trouble.

Invertebrate keeping isn't one of them.

:meh:
I'm pretty sure if I did have a gf I wouldn't once she saw my collection. It's not super huge , but that wouldn't likely matter. Even one sends people over the edge.
You know , people really should count their blessings. There are so many other ways you (or anyone for that matter) could get in trouble.

Invertebrate keeping isn't one of them.
Agreed. I always say I have a hobby that keeps me in the garage, house or basement. Other hobbies keep people out of the house for countless hours. I hang out in the basement. And this hobby costs less than just the exhaust system of my friend's car show hobby.....