Son's Brazilian Pink Toe In Molt or Dead?

Codename Colorado

Arachnosquire
Hello all, first time poster. Was checking this site out and seems a lot of knowledgeable folks on here. We bought our oldest son a pink toe about 2 months ago. Not sure if its a male or female, but its a juvenile, about 2 inches across with legs spread. It would take crickets at first, when we put her in her enclosure. We put some wood and other decorative pieces in its enclosure. It promptly moved into a hollow log, built a web and has not been very social since. I've put crickets in the log and watched them stroll right past without even a threat. Im getting concerned, but don't really know what to do. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Tarantulas fast quite often.

However, Avics require very specific care to thrive. Posting photos will let us see if therr are common husbandry errors to correct. Especially if you purchased from a pet store, as they are notorious for giving terrible advice and selling equipmrnt that will kill tarantulas.

ShockWave

Arachnopeon
As a beginner it’s hard not to stress when they don’t eat. As time passes you’ll relax and learn to read your spider better.

As others have stated a pic of your enclosure would be helpful. Also start keeping a feeding log. Helps to determine possible premolt activity. Observe if the abdomen is plump/full or shriveled. If plump in relation to carapace then no need to stress about it not eating.

Codename Colorado

Arachnosquire
Can you post pics of the tarantula and enclosure?
Im at the office right now, but I will definitely do it as soon as I can.

As a beginner it’s hard not to stress when they don’t eat. As time passes you’ll relax and learn to read your spider better.

As others have stated a pic of your enclosure would be helpful. Also start keeping a feeding log. Helps to determine possible premolt activity. Observe if the abdomen is plump/full or shriveled. If plump in relation to carapace then no need to stress about it not eating.
LOL, I wish I could tell you man how she looked, but shes hiding out in her log. We can see her in there and she appears to be ok, just hanging out.

Tarantulas fast quite often.

However, Avics require very specific care to thrive. Posting photos will let us see if therr are common husbandry errors to correct. Especially if you purchased from a pet store, as they are notorious for giving terrible advice and selling equipmrnt that will kill tarantulas.
Yea I hear you on the pet store thing. The place we got her from sounded totally on top of it, telling us to make sure we spray her enclosure and this and that. Then I come in here and basically hear to NOT do that. We keep her water bowl nice and full and right close to her log so....

Last edited by a moderator:

Lil Paws

Arachnosquire
How long has it been since it last ate? It may be in premolt or it may just be fasting. If it's hiding a lot and did a bit of webbing (especially on the ground), it's probably in premolt.

If you can get a good look at it, you may be able to figure it out (a picture would be useful, too—we may be able to help more). If the abdomen looks dark, bigger than normal, and/or shiny, it's in premolt. Don't offer food until it molts.

Codename Colorado

Arachnosquire
How long has it been since it last ate? It may be in premolt or it may just be fasting. If it's hiding a lot and did a bit of webbing (especially on the ground), it's probably in premolt.

If you can get a good look at it, you may be able to figure it out (a picture would be useful, too—we may be able to help more). If the abdomen looks dark, bigger than normal, and/or shiny, it's in premolt. Don't offer food until it molts.
I can try and get her out of her log, but not sure how to do that without stressing her ot. I dont want hurt her/him or upset it.

Lil Paws

Arachnosquire
Yea I hear you on the pet store thing. The place we got her from sounded totally on top of it, telling us to make sure we spray her enclosure and this and that. Then I come in here and basically hear to NOT do that. We keep her water bowl nice and full and right close to her log so....
Yeah, like Nightstalker says don't bother it. If it is molting, you don't want to disturb it or you could injure it easily. If it's just getting ready to molt, there's no reason to stress it out. Make sure the waterbowl is filled.

How about just taking pictures of the enclosure?

cold blood

Staff member
A tarantula not eating is almost never something to worry about. Its perfectly normal, every t goes through this at times...some more than others.. Avics, especially A. avic tend to fast often.

As long as your set up is proper, you have little to worry about, the behavior you describe is not uncommon.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Ok, trying to upload pictures of enclosure. Hopefully this works.
The enclosure can use some work:
  • The top half of the enclosure should be filled with leafy clutter for webbing.
  • Ditch the log on the ground. Healthy Avics spend little time on the ground. If you want to use the log, turn it vertical. That will allow the Avic to use it as a hunting perch and/or hide.
  • Keep the ground clutter-free. (Ground cover just provides hiding places for feeder insects.)
  • In most cases, there is no need for a heating mat. If you're comfortable at room temperature, the tarantula is fine. If additional heat is needed, it's normally safer to heat the room rather than the enclosure.
  • Ideally, the screen lid should be covered or replaced. (Tarantulas, even good climbers like Avics, can get their tarsal claws stuck in the mesh.)

Note: your Avic may still fast even if the enclosure is fixed, as they will often fast if they are in pre-molt or if they are overfed.

These two threads contain helpful information:

Codename Colorado

Arachnosquire
The enclosure can use some work:
  • The top half of the enclosure should be filled with leafy clutter for webbing.
  • Ditch the log on the ground. Healthy Avics spend little time on the ground. If you want to use the log, turn it vertical. That will allow the Avic to use it as a hunting perch and/or hide.
  • Keep the ground clutter-free. (Ground cover just provides hiding places for feeder insects.)
  • In most cases, there is no need for a heating mat. If you're comfortable at room temperature, the tarantula is fine. If additional heat is needed, it's normally safer to heat the room rather than the enclosure.
  • Ideally, the screen lid should be covered or replaced. (Tarantulas, even good climbers like Avics, can get their tarsal claws stuck in the mesh.)

Note: your Avic may still fast even if the enclosure is fixed, as they will often fast if they are in pre-molt or if they are overfed.

These two threads contain helpful information:
Cool, thanks man. Is it ok to use plastic plants/branches and stuff? Also, how do I encourage it to come out of the log and start a new home in the branches?

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Cool, thanks man. Is it ok to use plastic plants/branches and stuff? Also, how do I encourage it to come out of the log and start a new home in the branches?
Plastic plants are fine. That's all I use, since they're just easier. As for the log, you probably won't even have to coax it out of the log if you just lay it upright and use that as a new elevated hide. I use an upright hollow bamboo tube as a hide for my girl, and she goes in and out of it as she pleases

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Is it ok to use plastic plants/branches and stuff?
Plastic is fine, though I would wash anything you buy before adding it to the enclosure, in case there is residue left over from the manufacturing process.

Also, how do I encourage it to come out of the log and start a new home in the branches?
Avics are notoriously stubborn; you can't make them do anything they don't want to do. However, if you set up the enclosure as instructed, it is likely she will move out of the log.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I would want to underline ditching the heat pad. Those are pretty notorious for dehydrating Ts. Dehydration can lead to death.

Codename Colorado

Arachnosquire
Ok, so I put some plastic vegetation in the tank, turned the log vertical to try and encourage it to come out and ditched the heating pad. I will post some pictures of the new configuration in a bit. Im just really worried about it going so long without food. I can see it in the log, just chillin and not doing anything. I tossed a cricket in to just run around, but Im not sure about letting it run around in there...

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Ok, so I put some plastic vegetation in the tank, turned the log vertical to try and encourage it to come out and ditched the heating pad. I will post some pictures of the new configuration in a bit. Im just really worried about it going so long without food. I can see it in the log, just chillin and not doing anything. I tossed a cricket in to just run around, but Im not sure about letting it run around in there...
I just reread the thread to realize that you never posted how long it's been refusing food. Can you give us an estimate on that? If you've only had the T for about 2 months, and it was eating at first, then I'm thinking it probably hasn't gone without food for long enough to worry.

Also, how often were you feeding it and how much did it eat before it started refusing food? If you were feeding it excessively at first (which pet stores usually suggest because they don't know any better), it may have simply ate it's fill and just now isn't hungry.

As I recall, my adult female Avic doesn't eat for at least a month before she molts, and she's even gone a month without eating after molting as well.

So I'd suspect that you shouldn't be too worried about your tarantula's lack of interest in food.

Codename Colorado

Arachnosquire
I just reread the thread to realize that you never posted how long it's been refusing food. Can you give us an estimate on that? If you've only had the T for about 2 months, and it was eating at first, then I'm thinking it probably hasn't gone without food for long enough to worry.

Also, how often were you feeding it and how much did it eat before it started refusing food? If you were feeding it excessively at first (which pet stores usually suggest because they don't know any better), it may have simply ate it's fill and just now isn't hungry.

As I recall, my adult female Avic doesn't eat for at least a month before she molts, and she's even gone a month without eating after molting as well.

So I'd suspect that you shouldn't be too worried about your tarantula's lack of interest in food.
Yea we've had it for about 2 months and its going on a month sice she ate last. The last meal she took was a pretty big cricket...

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Yea we've had it for about 2 months and its going on a month sice she ate last. The last meal she took was a pretty big cricket...
Its most likely fine, sometimes the constant rearranging of their homes can cause stress and fasting...that or its just not hungry.