Something very different and unique from Peru

bugguy1

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Josh...thanks so much for sharing this with us! It is all very exciting and I cannot wait to hear new updates!

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That snake is a Bothrops, but I don't recognize the species. And it's nice that they're following the Atheris matildae model for responsible propagation into the hobby for these new Ts.

Frywulf, if you are referring to the Bothrops in my flickr account, it is Bothrops pictus. Jergon de la costa as they are called by the locals. If you run the mouse over each picture, the names should pop up.

---------- Post added 06-20-2015 at 09:31 AM ----------

Josh...thanks so much for sharing this with us! It is all very exciting and I cannot wait to hear new updates!
You are very welcome :)

Fyrwulf

Arachnosquire
Where's the reference in the article, not the very, very, vague Csakany "description"...

Which T of Josh's? The one he posted in the opening post of the thread?
As to the latter, yes. And he's stated previously that the locals call them chicken spiders.

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah, I had read a similar article some time ago. It is very interesting! would be neat to have a large female and a frog or 2 in a display setup! I'll never do it though!

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
For those of you followin this thread, my friend and I have started building the breeding room for the sp. red wing and Hapalotremus. Here are a few photos. This project is my friends baby. I am just helping him get it built and getting spiders to breed. Time frame for permits and exportation will all depend on him. But here are some photos of one wall that we got done.

Lets hope this project gets rolling fast from here!

JOsh

awiec

Arachnoprince
Most excellent, I'm curious though, do you have some sort of air circulation going on in that set up? I don't mean to be a pest just am curious to know how to make these species happy in case the project is successful and are exported to the states.

Driller64

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
You should put some slings up for sale here as soon as you can, I want one ;)

awiec

Arachnoprince
You should put some slings up for sale here as soon as you can, I want one ;)
Patience, they have to get the animals first, you'll probably will be in college by the time there is any slings to have paper work done on.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
For those of you followin this thread, my friend and I have started building the breeding room for the sp. red wing and Hapalotremus. Here are a few photos. This project is my friends baby. I am just helping him get it built and getting spiders to breed. Time frame for permits and exportation will all depend on him. But here are some photos of one wall that we got done.

Lets hope this project gets rolling fast from here!

JOsh

Josh- what prompted you to make the substrate have an angle?? Looks interesting, most people just have the sub parallel with the bottom of container.

LED lights?

Slimdean

Arachnopeon
Prob to simulate raising elevation of the mountains . Not every T likes it Florida flat lol

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Josh- what prompted you to make the substrate have an angle?? Looks interesting, most people just have the sub parallel with the bottom of container.

LED lights?
The reason we made a slant from front to back is for visual appeal and more so, for the spiders. If the soil level was just flat, we would not be able to put very much dirt in the terrariums and the spiders would not be able to dig. You see, these terrariums are front opening and the soil dam is only about 5cm tall, so the slant to the back allows for a much deeper substrate to the back side to allow for lots of digging room.

The lights are indeed LED lights that I wired and built myself. I really hope my friend is successful with this project and can get the permits!

---------- Post added 09-14-2015 at 11:34 AM ----------

Most excellent, I'm curious though, do you have some sort of air circulation going on in that set up? I don't mean to be a pest just am curious to know how to make these species happy in case the project is successful and are exported to the states.
In the pictures, you can see the blue screen vents. They are large enough to allow sufficient air flow. These spiders are very tolerant of dry conditions, so they do not need to be soaked constantly. A good misting or flooding the burrow is sufficient after the substrate has dried and the water gets absorbed into the soil and the spiders are content. My friend has set a goal to be successful with these spiders and get them into the hobby. He has many connections in exportation as that is the field he currently works in (with avocados) so I am sure he will make it work in the future.

soundsmith

Arachnopeon
I want one! I hope you guys are successful with the requirements to export, these look awesome and a new species is always welcome to the hobby.

Psyrocke

Arachnopeon
I also want one of these lil cuties when they become available..love the markings. And red and black are my favorite colors! The adult pic kinda reminds me of if Ghost Rider was a tarantula and I love it :).

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My friend recently got a new job that has been keeping him very busy, so he hasn't had time to advance the project lately. We still need to finish the spider room before he can apply for permits.