Something very different and unique from Peru

awiec

Arachnoprince
is there any word yet on the true scientific name of this species? i would love for these to enter the hobby!!! i want one sooo bad lmao
Don't get your hopes up, they have to describe them, possibly publish and then make sure the government will even let them ship them out of the country. Which these things are going to be a pretty penny until enough of the experts can breed them.

Though I love the little gold eye mask, makes them look like little super heroes.

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The biologist describing these has submitted his paper for review, so it shouldn't take too much longer to find out what they are. I will make a post as soon as I find out.

As far as getting things like this into the hobby, it is absolutely possible to legally export them without a description. New laws are more leniant in that regard and you can get permits as long as you can place it into the proper family... thats easy. That process is already in action.

awiec

Arachnoprince
The biologist describing these has submitted his paper for review, so it shouldn't take too much longer to find out what they are. I will make a post as soon as I find out.

As far as getting things like this into the hobby, it is absolutely possible to legally export them without a description. New laws are more leniant in that regard and you can get permits as long as you can place it into the proper family... thats easy. That process is already in action.
I hope the ones that are able to be shipped out go into the right hands, the fewer that are needed to establish a good hobby population the better in my humble opinion.

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The project is a captive breeding one here in Peru. So all material going into the US hobby would already be from CB hobby material. so even less impact on wild populations :)

awiec

Arachnoprince
The project is a captive breeding one here in Peru. So all material going into the US hobby would already be from CB hobby material. so even less impact on wild populations :)
That is fabulous, should keep blood lines and species pure too

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Josh what about the other species on your page, the one with light colored legs? What's its status so far?

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Actually, there are no germans knocking at my door. I make sure to keep localities pretty secret.... And, I have already talked with a few Germans who have smuggled some of the Hapaotremus out in the past and they did HORRIBLE with them. I find that strange because they are SUPER hardy in captivity as long as they don't have temps into the 80's for too long.. and definitely avoid the 90's with Hapalotremus. The new genus can tolerate higher temps a little better than Hapalotremus though. I suspect the Germans were keeping them with their tropicals??

Viper69, the specimen on my flickr page is a new species of Hapalotremus that I can't reveal the name of as the paper has not been published yet. I have been sworn to secrecy. It is a very amazing species in person and get fairly large, feed aggressively, and settle into captivity nicely.

For anyone who doesn't know what I am talking about, here is my flickr page. You will find pictures of the Hapalotremus there. Check my albums.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/123980288@N04/

Saludos.

Josh

awiec

Arachnoprince
Congratulations josh, I now want dart frogs. I'm hoping that I will be able to get a few whenever your program gets good enough results to share, hopefully I'll have a few more breeding projects under my belt by then.

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well, our project most likely won't be dealing with dart frogs any time soon. The process to get permits for invertebrates takes long enough. For dart frogs, it takes years and is very expensive and a pain staking process. But who knows.... Baby steps. First we have to get permits for the inverts.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Well, our project most likely won't be dealing with dart frogs any time soon. The process to get permits for invertebrates takes long enough. For dart frogs, it takes years and is very expensive and a pain staking process. But who knows.... Baby steps. First we have to get permits for the inverts.
Oh well I meant keeping them in general, there are enough species available in captivity to keep me busy for a while but who knows if the invert program is deemed a success maybe a similar program can be made for them?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Actually, there are no germans knocking at my door. I make sure to keep localities pretty secret.... And, I have already talked with a few Germans who have smuggled some of the Hapaotremus out in the past and they did HORRIBLE with them. I find that strange because they are SUPER hardy in captivity as long as they don't have temps into the 80's for too long.. and definitely avoid the 90's with Hapalotremus. The new genus can tolerate higher temps a little better than Hapalotremus though. I suspect the Germans were keeping them with their tropicals??

Viper69, the specimen on my flickr page is a new species of Hapalotremus that I can't reveal the name of as the paper has not been published yet. I have been sworn to secrecy. It is a very amazing species in person and get fairly large, feed aggressively, and settle into captivity nicely.

For anyone who doesn't know what I am talking about, here is my flickr page. You will find pictures of the Hapalotremus there. Check my albums.

Saludos.

Josh
Josh- how big have you observed that new species of Hapalotremus? The same question for those 2 red wing variants too.

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Josh- how big have you observed that new species of Hapalotremus? The same question for those 2 red wing variants too.
The Hapalotremus are fairly large. 5 inch legspan on average. The new genus with 2 red spots are smaller. I would say 2.5 to 3 inch legspan is pretty typical for them.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Unidentified sp. "red wings" :) !! I'll just jot that down on my wish list for now

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Wow id buy them if they were in the hobby ASAP!Sadly id wait for price drops, I cannot afford a $200 sling. My last very expensive sling died of DKS.
Maybe Local pesticides caused this who knows =€ :cry: I only feed roaches.

R,I.P Goliath bird-eater also I really liked that T.

Last edited:

Fyrwulf

Arachnosquire

Saludos.

Josh
That snake is a Bothrops, but I don't recognize the species. And it's nice that they're following the Atheris matildae model for responsible propagation into the hobby for these new Ts.