Something is wrong with my heterometrus longimanus

KrayneZ

Arachnopeon
20160718_222717.jpg 20160718_222544.jpg

He used to be very active when I feed him and sometimes I would see him walk about in the early mornings but now he's just all sluggish. He has been like this for about a week and so I inspected him today and found out he can no longer bend his tail so it's just stuck flat like in the pictures, and he has what looks like some kind of lump on his left side???. He doesn't move much but when he does he drags his legs and is very lethargic. My tank stays around 75-80 and I mist every other day. I see no signs of mold growing so I have no idea what is wrong.

Attachments

FatherOfScorpions

Arachnoknight
View attachment 215940 View attachment 215941

He used to be very active when I feed him and sometimes I would see him walk about in the early mornings but now he's just all sluggish. He has been like this for about a week and so I inspected him today and found out he can no longer bend his tail so it's just stuck flat like in the pictures, and he has what looks like some kind of lump on his left side???. He doesn't move much but when he does he drags his legs and is very lethargic. My tank stays around 75-80 and I mist every other day. I see no signs of mold growing so I have no idea what is wrong.
Have you handled/picked him up by the tail before or do you scoop him up? Their tails can be very sensitive. Also what do you feed him?

KrayneZ

Arachnopeon
Have you handled/picked him up by the tail before or do you scoop him up? Their tails can be very sensitive. Also what do you feed him?
No I've never picked him up by the tail. I always scoop my scorpions. I feed him superworms and dubia roaches and the occasional brown cricket

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Looks like he will soon die

sometimes the scorpions gut (which runs through the 'tail') gets blocked, and eventually the scorpion loses control of the rest of the tail as its poop builds up
eventually leads to death unless the blockage is cleared (never seen it done before)

hopefully someone has a solution

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
View attachment 215940 View attachment 215941

Never seen it before. I know this is wrong, but it almost looks like when you see them molt and their exoskeleton plates seperate. Sadly, I think it's what Carnell said. Do you have enclosure picks, what he ate, etc.?

KrayneZ

Arachnopeon
Never seen it before. I know this is wrong, but it almost looks like when you see them molt and their exoskeleton plates seperate. Sadly, I think it's what Carnell said. Do you have enclosure picks, what he ate, etc.?
Update, came home this morning from work and he was like this. His tail is reacting to physical stimuli...but his pincers are tuck into his face and legs are curled partially underneath....also his gut is now stuffed looking!!

Attachments

LeFanDesBugs

Arachnobaron
It is obvious that it is gonna die, sadly.. I mean I have no clue about what is going on but I don't think any live being can survive such deformations.
Sorry about that.
That's pretty gore though, I would like to know what's inside.. Maybe you could open it up once it's dead so that we all can know what was going on? I would understand if you said no .. :(

KrayneZ

Arachnopeon
It is obvious that it is gonna die, sadly.. I mean I have no clue about what is going on but I don't think any live being can survive such deformations.
Sorry about that.
That's pretty gore though, I would like to know what's inside.. Maybe you could open it up once it's dead so that we all can know what was going on? I would understand if you said no .. :(
When I see that he's fully dead I'll do a biopsy because I'm curious as well

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
A simple injury can cause a bulge like that, internal bleeding. I've seen some get pinched by others with the same happening, sometimes completely going away after several months though. You will read a lot of speculating but you will never know unless you to a bio and see something obvious. Are you going to get another one?

KrayneZ

Arachnopeon
A simple injury can cause a bulge like that, internal bleeding. I've seen some get pinched by others with the same happening, sometimes completely going away after several months though. You will read a lot of speculating but you will never know unless you to a bio and see something obvious. Are you going to get another one?
I'd hate to know that he somehow hurt himself in his enclosure. And yes I am absolutely gonna get another! I'll definitely miss Alistaire though. I hope to see Stacy get fully grown. He/she is my other H. Longimanus.

KrayneZ

Arachnopeon
Okay I did the biopsy this morning and TONS of these larvae came out! I have a picture of the closest I could find what they looked like and I mean 99% identical. They were only a little fatter than what is in the picture

Attachments

LeFanDesBugs

Arachnobaron
Wow, creepy.. terribly sorry for your loss.
I have never seen such larvae, they do look like fly grubs except that they have those little "legs"..
Tell us if you find out what they are and what animal they become once they get mature ;)

LeFanDesBugs

Arachnobaron
Now that I take a closer look at it, I do think you're right G. Carnell.. That larva looks like it has a "tail"..
That's a pity !

brolloks

Arachnobaron
ah man, sorry for your loss.
Strangely enough I have got two Heterometrus spp. which died very very similarly last week. They got fat, as if they were about to moult and then they died.. temperature & humidity were fine, no visible parasites or any external factors that I see which could have caused their deaths. :arghh: I know they were not fully grown because the shop I bought them from had adults which were quite a bit larger. So don't think they were gravid.

I am also now wondering if I should open one up to see what is going on.. but damn I am squeamish. Not sure if I could handle it.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Here's one
Looks like something it got from the food or it came like that wild caught. It just sucks that it had to happen like that, when you could have easily happened to have gotten a perfectly fine CB scorp. What did you feed it? And also, I agree that it could have just been a weird miscarriage of the scorplings. So sad, you have my condolences...