something i learned about delicups

TheNothing

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
if you buy delicups to separate your scorps, and punch in your own holes, put the holes in the lids...

I used a spare soldering iron from here at work and put holes around the sides. Seemed like a good idea to me...

I've lost 3 lil guys that escaped through these holes before I started stacking them inside of a spare tank i had. Of course, none have tried to escape since then...

Looks like this guy might have tried, but more pressing issues came up on his way

I'm assuming it climbed up the water condensation...
surprised it was able to complete a molt there too...

Arlius

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Damn Isaac, lol... they arent sposed to be able to climb deli cup... let alone molt on it
Did you get the little buggers back? or do you have 3 temporary roommates?

TheNothing

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i've got 3 loose ones out and about
still haven't found them despite blacklighting the whole upstairs once a week. If they crawled under the ZooRoom door, then they became fair game with the cat, but he's not shown any envenomation symptoms...

I'm still assuming they're in the room somewhere since it is always at least 80F in there...

Arlius

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Too bad there wasnt scorpion traps, with some yummy scorp bait they just cant resist. (Mammals are so easy, they think with their stomachs)
OR, too bad you cant dig holes in your floor. Then you could set up a trail wall and well trap...
Hope you have been sleeping well :D

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
LOL!! That is why I only make holes in the lids. I have seen mine try to scurry up the sides like that too but luckily no escapes (knock on wood)

TheNothing

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yeah, leasoned learned
amazingly enough, there's only about a half inch of substrate, so they have about 2.5-3" to climb up the plastic to the vents...

Sleepings been no prob... they've gotta get past the cat (aka The Evil) to get to our room...

redhourglass

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi.

I lost some Vaejovis spinigerus instars the same way a couple years ago.

I would of never thought about the pin holes on the side then but I as well a learned a lesson with keeping scorpions in captivity. The deli cups I used weren't that deep though. I hope you don't have pin head crickets loose :D

Good luck Isaac.

Sinc. Chad :)

TheNothing

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hehe
Thanks chad

Wouldn't be surprised if we had a few dozen crickets loose with the way we go through crickets around here...
between the scorps and a bearded dragons, my feeble breeding attempt needs constant resupplying from a local petshop...
next week i'm giving up on the 50cricket orders and going for the 500...