1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Someone tell Bryan Barczyk to stick to snakes!!!!!

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by Derivative, Mar 13, 2019.

1. basin79

basin79 Arachnoking Active Member

Advertisement
    But..... but.........but they're HIS animals and he feeds them............

• Funny Funny x 8
  2. Magenta

Magenta Arachnosquire

PNW

Calling someone out on their harmful behavior =/= bullying. This dude runs a reptile store. Animals are going to get hurt/killed because some people take him seriously. As a seller of animals, he has a responsibility to provide proper husbandry practices.

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. SkittleBunny

SkittleBunny Arachnosquire

TX
    Yep you're all right. Bullying someone is the way to go. (Sarcasm) This thread has made me uneasy about asking for help with my collection, what if I get bullied?! What if a post is made about me and my mistakes?! If i was a new hobbyist and I saw this thread I would run for the hills before I admitted any mistake for help. Most of you had opinions on his animal care thats fine, some of you straight up personally attacked him which is wrong and gives this website a bad name .
    Now IM being critisized because I watch his channel. Now everyone will bash anything i post due to this and thats WRONG. Just because HE treats HIS animals "wrong" doesnt mean I treat MINE "wrong". Dont think for a second that I'm a bad person because I enjoy his content.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  4. EulersK

EulersK Arachnoworm Staff Member

To be clear to all members. If Bryan does indeed join the forum and ask for help, then he will be treated just the same as all new people asking for help. If there is a mob mentality if/when that happens, then yes, SkittleBunny is right and that is absolutely bullying and will not be tolerated. But as it stands? He is on YouTube actively ignoring the advice of experienced keepers. He is not being bullied in this thread, people are venting their concerns. As a closing note, I'd suggest leaving the particular topic of whether or not he is being bullied alone. Agree to disagree. One more post on the matter will result in a locked thread.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. Derivative

Derivative Arachnopeon

Nobody is going to be rough on you unless you repeatedly and purposefully ignore good advice and endanger your animal. Everybody makes mistakes but when you make the same mistake over and over again people are going to be rough on you.

• Agree Agree x 5
  6. Demonclaws

Demonclaws Arachnosquire

I talked to Brain personally a few times at reptile expos in Chicago. I think he genuinely love his animals and passionate about them. Obviously his views and methods are different from us because he is after all a breeder and a business owner. His channel is part of advertisement for his business, and should not be viewed as educational videos. The same way that I don't learn from the Dark Den on handling or impatient breeding tarantulas. Bryan's videos are quite entertaining though I must say and I watch them every now and then. I sent BHB an email after his first video on tarantulas, but I didn't get a response. I don't think it was just ego, but the amount of spam mails that they get everyday probably made him stop reading them a long time ago. Also as one of the largest reptile youtube channels, he also gets flamed for the smallest errors or disagreements. Everyone has the right to criticize Bryan. Of course, he also has the right to ignore you. To be honest, to become a large content creator on internet, you actually have to ignore a lot of comments. Even Tom Moran, who I think did a pretty good job on his tarantula videos, still has problem dealing with haters.

At this point, I think Bryan won't learn until after few T dies unless someone who he really trusts talks to him. If it takes him a few years before he moved his larger pythons to a better enclosure at his zoo (and many people have commented about it), how long do you think it takes to improve his tarantula setups?

Edit: edited out bullying part.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Lollipop Lollipop x 1
  7. Derivative

Derivative Arachnopeon

I didn't see your message I'm sorry I posted on the matter and I agree we should move on to something else.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Chris LXXIX

Chris LXXIX ArachnoGod Active Member

Hey you are right saying that "he's in Michigan and that we can do nothing about" but I've pointed out that his tattoo sucks and I have the RIGHT to judge (with my humble Extreme Wisdom) aesthetics, clothes and such. Why? Because I'm Italian, a citizen of a nation that is the supreme leader when it comes to Art, Class and Fashion, Lifestyle etc so I have that right :yawn:

Who cares about this Bryan somewhat and his spiders, to me nothing but a stranger that lives millions of KM away from me? Oh not me, not me... but that tattoo sucks, no art, decency, style, nothing... so to point out that was my mandatory duty :pompous:

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  9. basin79

He 100% doesn't genuinely love his animals. If he did he'd treat them better.

Yes he's a breeder and it's a business. But the fact he pretends to care for the animals is a joke. He provides the bare minimum. Air, water and food.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. basin79

How to tell if you genuinely love your pets.

Would you let Bryan" look after" them for a month?

• Award Award x 1
  11. Phia

Phia Arachnopeon Active Member

Texas
    Lies. He also provides the opposite gender. :angelic: Business is breeding and business is good

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. basin79

Cue some nugget typing, "they wouldn't breed if they weren't happy".

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. dangerforceidle

dangerforceidle Arachnobaron Active Member

No one is "bullied" here when asking for help. You have a thread asking for help when you wanted to start breeding Stiffler and Mitzy -- were you bullied then? Wasn't it a few pages of back and forth with more questions? No. People want to help, and you were receptive to advice. That is the key.

Picture this scenario: you have a T. stirmi you found at a local pet store, you're a first time keeper. You have a heat lamp over a 10 gallon glass enclosure, and aquarium gravel 1" deep as substrate. No hide. You post a photo, asking if it's appropriate because the pet store told you it was. You receive advice on how to fix it. You then say, "no, that's wrong, I'm going to keep it the way I have it."

People will react negatively in response. In this scenario, a new and inexperienced keeper asked for assistance, and then outright rejected or ignored the advice received.

That is kind of what we're dealing with, outside the person not actively participating here, or asking for advice. Yet, he puts his "care" onto the internet for all to see. They are not private or unlisted videos that have been shared against his knowledge. Public videos.

The things he does are wrong and potentially harmful, yet he ignores advice that is meant to help the animals in his care.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Award Award x 1
  14. Liquifin

Liquifin Arachnobaron Active Member

Okay, okay, okay. Lets end it in this note:

It doesn't matter if you like Brian or not. While his methods are not the best. He is trying to entertain us (if people see it that way). Everyone's issue is understandable, but my argument is this:

Stop and think about who is going to affect future hobbyist. While Brian is trying to be passionate, what he doesn't understand is that he is setting the example for future hobbyist to come. If you don't agree with his care than it can't be helped. But "THAT IS THE ISSUE", i'm not looking at this as a passionate Youtuber chasing his dreams perspective. But rather as set example of influence that will make the majority of newcomers to come. Stop thinking about passionate, optimistic, and rainbows. But rather think logically about the hobby you love and how the influences can encourage newcomers to do the same as those in the videos. There's a saying, "Monkey See, Monkey Do". Which is what is going to happen in the future. If everyone keeps T.'s like Brian, and the death rates go up, then remember those deaths was by the "INFLUENCER" who shown it in his/her videos.

I don't care about what Brian does to his T.'s, but he needs to understand how big one influence like him can have on future hobbyist to come in the near future.

TL;DR - Think logically about the future, not idealistically.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. SkittleBunny

TX
    :meh: how about we just call his local animal control on him and let law enforcement force him to put his tarantulas in better enclosures.

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Until then, It's best we drop it.. And yes..we should try our best to point out that people should NOT copy him in how he cares for his tarantulas because he makes it look so good/right.. Youre right. He is hurting the hobby. I didnt realize people that have never had a T will see his T wall and want one JUST like it and think its okay...

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. StampFan

StampFan Arachnobaron Active Member

Calgary
    I would suggest criticizing a concerning YouTube video that is publicly available on a public forum dedicated to care of said animals is more than fair game. It is almost expected, really. It is not negative, or bullying. It is criticism. That comes from critical thinking. Which is fine.

• Agree Agree x 4
  17. SkittleBunny

TX
    Yeah..I immediately took my own experiences with cyber bullying and applied them to someone i dont know personally.. I apologize. To everyone who posted here; I'm deeply sorry for my ignorance. I didn't stop to think folks will copy him and Ts will perish.. Just because I didnt doesnt mean others won't. I pray that folks are smarter than to see brians videos and go out and buy Ts using his videos as care guides..

• Like Like x 9
  18. Demonclaws

Demonclaws Arachnosquire

Speaking of proper care. In US universities, any labs that use live animals constantly get audited from federal agencies. Besides from food water and enclosure requirements, avian and mammals require toys in their enclosures and social hours!! Now lets ask our average pet owners, if they ever forget to play with their pet hamsters.:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2019
  19. VanessaS

VanessaS Grammostola Groupie Arachnosupporter

Several times in the spider gene video he made he says that the hobby is well equipped to police themselves and they don't need an outside organization to do it for them.
    Well, here you have a good example of the hobby policing itself... just as Brian said it should.

• Like Like x 1
    • Beer Beer x 1
  20. Derivative

Derivative Arachnopeon

There is no need to be sorry even if we get into heated debates at the end of the day everyone is here at arachnoboards to better their tarantulas lives.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1