Someone please tell me what’s going on with him

Joeyg120188

Arachnopeon
99E55EFA-E89F-4463-A320-90A4129BDE71.jpeg 157903F8-622F-4C99-B81C-EA120C77F949.jpeg So I just obtained this stripped knee male. Was informed by the previous owner, he had been dropped twice. Both times from waist high. He’s very calm and doesn’t act like it bothers him. Moves very smoothly. But on his abdomen, it almost looks like a big water blister. And one of his legs and one of his feelers are small and discolored. She said he hasn’t molted since she had him (2 months). Any help would be great in identifying what it is

Attachments

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Frankly, aside that you posted in the wrong section (nothing bad for me, uh, don't get me wrong), handling, and a Theraphosidae lacking a bit of setae on the :mooning: (nothing to worry about, as you know) I see nothing bad, especially in the second and fourth pictures... but maybe my eyes are utter screwed, eh. I'm almost 40, after all :bored:

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
View attachment 297917 View attachment 297918 So I just obtained this stripped knee male. Was informed by the previous owner, he had been dropped twice. Both times from waist high. He’s very calm and doesn’t act like it bothers him. Moves very smoothly. But on his abdomen, it almost looks like a big water blister. And one of his legs and one of his feelers are small and discolored. She said he hasn’t molted since she had him (2 months). Any help would be great in identifying what it is
Looks like its nearing a molt.

If its been dropped twice already, why are you handling it even more? :banghead:

Joeyg120188

Arachnopeon
Frankly, aside that you posted in the wrong section (nothing bad for me, uh, don't get me wrong), handling, and a Theraphosidae lacking a bit of setae on the :mooning: (nothing to worry about, as you know) I see nothing bad, especially in the second and fourth pictures... but maybe my eyes are utter screwed, eh. I'm almost 40, after
Looks like its nearing a molt.

If its been dropped twice already, why are you handling it even more? :banghead:
I’m still new to owning tarantulas. I understand what you mean. I had him right over my bed. Apparently there was some domestic issues between the two that owned him and he got out in the middle.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
I’m still new to owning tarantulas. I understand what you mean. I had him right over my bed. Apparently there was some domestic issues between the two that owned him and he got out in the middle.
I am speechless that they could have let that happen, just crazy...in any case, you should leave it alone so it can prepare for the molt in peace. Tarantulas really dont enjoy being handled.

Welcome to the forums.

Minty

@londontarantulas
You’ll find the majority of the forum are against handling tarantulas.

It’s always a risk to the spider, they don’t enjoy it, they always have the potential to bite you, they don’t get used to it, and posting photos if handling online only promotes poor habits.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
But on his abdomen, it almost looks like a big water blister. And one of his legs and one of his feelers are small and discolored. She said he hasn’t molted since she had him (2 months). Any help would be great in identifying what it is
The bald spot is normal. Tarantulas often shed urticating hairs from their abdomen when they feel threatened. The fact that the skin on the abdomen is dark indicates that a molt is imminent.

The skinny palp and leg are ones that were regenerated after a previous amputation or bad molt. After another molt or two, you won't even be able to tell they were ever missing.

Joeyg120188

Arachnopeon
You’ll find the majority of the forum are against handling tarantulas.

It’s always a risk to the spider, they don’t enjoy it, they always have the potential to bite you, they don’t get used to it, and posting photos if handling online only promotes poor habits.
Thank you. I’ll check them out. I’ll keep him comfy inside his home.

The bald spot is normal. Tarantulas often shed urticating hairs from their abdomen when they feel threatened. The fact that the skin on the abdomen is dark indicates that a molt is imminent.

The skinny palp and leg are ones that were regenerated after a previous amputation or bad molt. After another molt or two, you won't even be able to tell they were ever missing.
Thank you much!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
"yeah it dropped twice"
*handles said T*
kek irony +10

that's pretty messed up.

dont expect a T that big to molt often, however the bugger looks priming so I'd left him to his home and prepare.

If I was about to rip off all my skin I would hope someone had the decency not to bother me in the process.

good luck mate

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
You were already given lots of solid advice, so I don't have much to offer. But perhaps since you're new to keeping, you could share pictures of the enclosure if you'd like and we can offer some suggestions (if it needs any). Just to make sure it has the best and safest life it can in your care. I know when I got my female Avic from a less than optimal previous owner, her enclosure was pretty awful.

All that aside, welcome to the hobby, the Boards, and I hope you stick around :)

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
It's in heavy pre-moult (in NW species, kicking hairs results in bald patches, these are usually skin coloured but turn black when the tarantula is close to moulting as the new exoskeleton forms underneath), leave it alone other than to make sure it has a full water dish.

Also, stop handling it, that's how tarantulas get dropped and end up dead.

sasker

Arachnoprince
Moult process could start any day now, so please leave it alone (as the 30 people before me suggested :D)

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Aphonopelma seemani by the way. Orange spinnerets is the giveaway.

There's two forms I don't know which it is.

The dark abdomen means it's really close to a molt.

Welcome to ab

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Aphonopelma seemani by the way. Orange spinnerets is the giveaway.

There's two forms I don't know which it is.

The dark abdomen means it's really close to a molt.

Welcome to ab
Looks like the Guatemalan(blue form) seemanni.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Hmm, how can you tell? There's this one and the Costa Rican one, correct? Aphonopelma isn't my forte..lol
Yeah, I would need pictures with flash to confirm. The blue form has yellow spinnerets, and is blue rather then grey.