Somebody Tell the Dark Den to Stop!! (Unless I'm Wrong)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveIDDQD

Arachnosquire
Well it seems this was solved pretty easily in the end. See what happens when humans communicate and be nice to each other? :)

Eva

Arachnosquire
To everyone mad at me over this or any other reason, I NEVER claimed in ANY of my videos that I'm an expert. In fact, I often mention it in my videos, that I'm just a regular keeper with exception of knowing how to make funny and entertaining videos. Just because others put me on the pedestal, it doesn't give anyone the right to degrade me. Instead, try being nicer and teach others the right way.
If someone really loves my videos, can you blame them for being defensive if you open with "he is a moron", even if I do something stupid.
I also always point people to this forum for any information they need, I really don't want to change that.
You know, there is such thing as responsibility if you're a public figure. Putting your hands up and saying that you don't know anything is not it. And was the last sentence a threat? :astonished:

StampFan

Arachnodemon
I used to really like Petko. Not so much anymore though. His collection is getting too close to becoming a hoard.

My prediction: He won't last. It's too hard to keep doing what he does. He does put out regular content, but that pace is hard to keep up.
Its not hard to keep up putting up videos when its almost his full-time gig....a million views on videos and a Patreon can be very lucrative when you live in an area with a dirt cheap cost of living.

petkokc

Arachnosquire
You know, there is such thing as responsibility if you're a public figure. Putting your hands up and saying that you don't know anything is not it. And was the last sentence a threat? :astonished:
Just because people like my videos I'm not allowed to make mistakes and be human like the rest of you? Are you serious?

@Venom1080 Maybe you aren't as knowledgeable keeper as you think you are if you are shocked about someone using tweezers to hold tarantula by it's carapace. It's something that plenty of breeders are doing when managing their tarantulas.

Irisiridescent

Arachnopeon
Just because people like my videos I'm not allowed to make mistakes and be human like the rest of you? Are you serious?
Pretty much is what some people are saying. "You have a responsibility." That means you can't make ANY mistakes. I shared my story with horses. I was constantly questioned and no explanation I gave to what was going on was enough.

This seems to become a common thing when people become popular. There are others who will watch for any mistake to vilify and act like they're the most horrible person and they need to get rid of whatever creature it is.

This is the dark side of Internet popularity.

petkokc

Arachnosquire
@Irisiridescent It seems to me that regardless of what you do, there are always certain individuals that have the need to show their superiority. No matter if it's about tarantulas, DSLRs, cars or skateboarding tricks. They are always there.

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
While people love to love someone, I think they love to hate people even more. That is the perversity of human nature and it's summed up in the German word Schadenfreude, deriving pleasure from another's misfortune. We should have a word for that in English. It's ubiquitous in all cultures and people. With the Internet it gets blown WAY out of proportion, unfortunately.

Eva

Arachnosquire
I do not know why you think that people need you to be perfect. What I meant was that if you do happen to make a mistake, you should admit it instead of bickering and then being all defensive.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Pretty much is what some people are saying. "You have a responsibility." That means you can't make ANY mistakes. I shared my story with horses. I was constantly questioned and no explanation I gave to what was going on was enough.

This seems to become a common thing when people become popular. There are others who will watch for any mistake to vilify and act like they're the most horrible person and they need to get rid of whatever creature it is.

This is the dark side of Internet popularity.
I don't think anyone's saying that and I do think you're digging into it too deep. Everyone makes mistakes. Every single keeper on here has, and YouTubers have too. Nothing wrong with mistakes whatsoever. How you learn from those mistakes is what's important. Similar to how when I post about something and someone corrects me, I will edit my post and change how I reply from then on. With YouTubers, it's important to admit those mistakes as many people watch and learn from those videos.

@petkokc Many of the people were hyped up on the fact that you were wanting to breed two different locales to muddy the Nicaraguan lineage of B. albopilosum. And when a user had notified you, you had said that you were going to continue on breeding them, which worked people up more. Not going to lie, it did bother me a bit. But I'm glad you had changed your plan on breeding them! Even though I don't particularly agree with some of the setups for your tarantulas, I'm not going to attack you for it. This is a hobby where we all must be working together.

petkokc

Arachnosquire
I do not know why you think that people need you to be perfect. What I meant was that if you do happen to make a mistake, you should admit it instead of bickering and then being all defensive.
Uhmmm, once again, are you serious?
I literally said that I changed my mind after hearing everyone's opinion, isn't this that you are doing now bickering?

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Everyone, calm down..... No one needs to get hostile. I thought this thread was already over?? Seriously though, everyone calm down.

petkokc

Arachnosquire
@antinous Majority of my subscribers aren't keepers and they were generally hyped about the pairing.
I still stand behind the fact that it wouldn't directly muddy the Nicaraguan lineage because I would never label them as such, but it would definitely send the wrong message.
And also slings could end up looking more like Nicaragua then Hobby form and someone later could mistaken them for actual Nicaragua form. Therefore definitely a mistake.
Once I find Nicaragua female I will clear the situation in a video.

boina

Lady of the mites
@petkokc - just a short note about mold, because that was in the video, too.

If you want to prevent mold from spreading you should NOT blow on it. Mold spores are very light weight and will stay in the air for days. Every air movement, like from walking around, will whirl them further, until they will find their way through the ventilation holes into the next enclosure. If there are mold spores on the tarantula (unlikely, to say the least) just let them be, they have no chance of taking hold.

Mold is generally harmelss but can be annoying, I admit, but blowing on it is about the best way I can think of to spread it everywhere.

Eva

Arachnosquire
Uhmmm, once again, are you serious?
I literally said that I changed my mind after hearing everyone's opinion, isn't this that you are doing now bickering?
You insinuated that we had better be nice to you or else you might stop recommending Arachnoboards to your viewers. I am not a very active member, but I am rather fond of the site and it ticked me off, resulting in a need to stand up for it - so much for bickering.
I don't want to continue in a conversation that is unproductive, so I am not going to push it any furter. However, I disagree with the way you handled the situation.

Spiderlife

Arachnopeon
I'm glad you're gonna find a Nicaragua female.

Because I have one of each type and I'd LOVE to see a pure pairing! I'd be able to compare the two types, and eagerly anticipate any slings and how they'd look growing up.

Essentially that's what we all want isn't it? To enjoy healthy and happy spiders.

So enough of this, it's done and dusted. Let's move on

Status
Not open for further replies.