Some wild pedes

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
I've yet to see an overseas equivalent of many of our morsitans morphs that aren't in the hobby. Then there's this laeta:
IMG_0912.JPG
I know this is all subjective, but most people crave the Aussie pedes. I personally think all the Gigantea variants are fairly mediocre in colour - size is their main appeal.

CHLee

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've yet to see an overseas equivalent of many of our morsitans morphs that aren't in the hobby. Then there's this laeta:
View attachment 274478
I know this is all subjective, but most people crave the Aussie pedes. I personally think all the Gigantea variants are fairly mediocre in colour - size is their main appeal.
The black and yellow on Sulawesi and black gigantea have a contrast hard to beat
The NSW laeta, Malaysian jewel has the same colors but with different arrangements, also another pede from South Sumatra that’s basically the Malaysian jewels colors reversed
Kuranda E rubripes- the blue ethmostigmus from Borneo has much more striking blue.
Also a big pede with a ringfurrow down in Honduras that has a brownish green body with blue legs.
Viridicornis and it’s subspecies come in purple, orange, brown and reddish.
I could go on, only reason is because there’s way less peru variants photos floating the inter webs compared to the Aussie colorforms

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Same colour scheme does not equal the same appearance. Sometimes, it's arrangement that does it. Overseas has stuff unlike anything we have, but the likewise statement is also true.

CHLee

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Same colour scheme does not equal the same appearance. Sometimes, it's arrangement that does it. Overseas has stuff unlike anything we have, but the likewise statement is also true.
Did I say they looked the same? No
The NSW laeta just look to me like that have an internal injury causing discoloration, but to each his own

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Have we really got so hung up on opinions that we're attributing pede features to mutations and diseases?
When last I checked, you have a tiger form rubripes. I have no idea how you got it, but it seems like it'd be a bit of trouble for an "unremarkable" pede.

micheldied

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Have we really got so hung up on opinions that we're attributing pede features to mutations and diseases?
When last I checked, you have a tiger form rubripes. I have no idea how you got it, but it seems like it'd be a bit of trouble for an "unremarkable" pede.
It's just a way to describe physical appearance. Not sure why that's an issue. Also, I've had turd brown subspinipes from rare locatlities and a pede very similar to the Malaysian Jewel in looks as well but it doesn't mean I think they're special.

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
I just don't get why you two have been turning a thread showcasing a couple finds into a "mine are better than yours" argument.

RTTB

Arachnoprince
All of the aforementioned centipedes are marvelous in their own way. From what I’ve seen of the Australian centipedes, they look pretty damn cool to me.

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon
I'm pretty sure you can't call any centipede unremarkable, whether it's a gigantea or a rubripes or a laeta or a tiny soil centipede. The fact that this thread just went from wild pedes to "eh, there's better out there" even though they're unavailable in the country is just a bit annoying

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Yeah, it's quite petty really. I'm honestly a bit ashamed I descended to such a level as to partake in such an argument.

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon
I never really saw much appeal in R. nuda before, as I didn't really care for keeping smaller pedes, but my red morsitans changed that. Now, I'll be trying to get some R. nuda as well.
Size hardly matters, I adore my laeta because it's so colourful and often above surface unlike all my other pedes which are pet holes for the most part. They are absolutely worth it, small pedes aren't to be overlooked especially the colourful pedes like the arboreal cormocephalus

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Yeah, that arboreal Cormocephalus is on my radar, as are some of the laeta morphs. I'm also planning to get some rubripes pedelings.

I don't know why I didn't think so before, but I'm now finding small pedes crazy cute - they suddenly have a whole new level of appeal to me.

micheldied

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I just don't get why you two have been turning a thread showcasing a couple finds into a "mine are better than yours" argument.
I never said I had better lol. I simply stated an opinion; which is that Ethmostigmus are pretty ugly.

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Must agree with that. It takes more than a slightly enlarged pair of spiracles and a lack of overlap in the cephalic plate (which makes about a millimetre's difference) to turn me off an entire genus.
Besides, you stated your opinions as though they were facts, when I'd venture to say that the majority of the people on these boards disagree with you. The whole "mine are better than yours" affair that you bought up, and your saying that Aussie pedes look like {insert disease here}, are quite childish in my opinion, especially as this thread's initial purpose was simply to showcase a couple finds.

micheldied

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Must agree with that. It takes more than a slightly enlarged pair of spiracles and a lack of overlap in the cephalic plate (which makes about a millimetre's difference) to turn me off an entire genus.
Besides, you stated your opinions as though they were facts, when I'd venture to say that the majority of the people on these boards disagree with you. The whole "mine are better than yours" affair that you bought up, and your saying that Aussie pedes look like {insert disease here}, are quite childish in my opinion, especially as this thread's initial purpose was simply to showcase a couple finds.
I said they were ugly. That's a pretty subjective term so I'm not sure how I was stating it like a fact. People are free to disagree, it doesn't make me sad that they do. Not sure why it's great for people to give compliments but wrong for people to state their dislikes. It's not like I was insulting your person.

fluffykitten

Arachnopeon
I personally like North American pedes even though a lot of people find them ugly :/ I used to find house pedes kind of ugly and frightening though, like the yellow ones, but the more I look at them the cuter I think they are ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
I said they were ugly. That's a pretty subjective term so I'm not sure how I was stating it like a fact. People are free to disagree, it doesn't make me sad that they do. Not sure why it's great for people to give compliments but wrong for people to state their dislikes. It's not like I was insulting your person.
The thing is, this thread wasn't about what users' favourite genera are, or which countries have the best pedes - it was simply showing a couple finds. There was no need for the blanket statement that Australian pedes are unimpressive, especially when nearly every overseas hobbyist drools over the forms we have here.
Also, when I state an opinion, I always say "I think..." That makes it clear that it's just an opinion.