Some true spiders

Dark Raptor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
...time to bring some life to my old topic ;)

Argiope bruennichi

Pholcus phalangoides

Araneus quadratus

Cheiracanthium punctorium

...really angry :D

Xysticus sp.

Flat Thomisidae, found under the bark of tree

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
good grief, DR, every time i look at this pic thread it's amazing! it never gets old, even if you've seen the pics 10 times!!

lhystrix

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah, great images!
I really like those Argyroneta images.

jsloan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Very nice pictures, DR!

Cheiracanthium punctorium - Nice shot. Is that the mouth I'm seeing near the center? It looks very much like the mouth I looked at yesterday, on the freshly-molted skin from one of my tarantulas.

Last edited:

Dark Raptor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thank you very much :)

excellent macro!!what is your current setup?
Nikon D200, Nikkor Micro 105/2.8D, kenko extension rings and Kenko X2 teleconverter for "extreme" magnifications.

Very nice pictures, DR!

Cheiracanthium punctorium - Nice shot. Is that the mouth I'm seeing near the center? It looks very much like the mouth I looked at yesterday, on the freshly-molted skin from one of my tarantulas.
Yes, because of these large chelicerae, it can be clearly visible.

More pictures with this specie:

Look how big can be their mommy ;)

Nymph II

Spiderling

Dark Raptor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Philodromus sp. (Philodormidae)

Trochosa rupicola (Lycosidae) - female

Misumena vatia (Thomisidae)

jsloan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Misumena vatia (Thomisidae)
I like these close-up portraits. Nice shot of the anterior median eyes (AME) in the M vatia. I have observed these spiders, live, under magnification and noticed some kind of movement within the AME. You can see a color change from reddish to darker as this happens, and see what looks like a half moon shape moving around in there. I suspect that they are able to swivel the retinas of these eyes in the same way that Saliticidae do with their AME.

Good shot!

Dark Raptor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thank you :)

I like these close-up portraits. Nice shot of the anterior median eyes (AME) in the M vatia. I have observed these spiders, live, under magnification and noticed some kind of movement within the AME. You can see a color change from reddish to darker as this happens, and see what looks like a half moon shape moving around in there. I suspect that they are able to swivel the retinas of these eyes in the same way that Saliticidae do with their AME.
Yes, it is possible because I've seen some kind of movement when I was examining few specimens under stereoscopic microsope. Of course it is not so spectacular as in Salticidae :D

Few older pictures:
Pisaura mirabilis (Pisauridae), female

Not ID young Thomisidae spider

Araneus quadratus (Araneae)

Micrommata virescens (Sparassidae)

...and not a spider, but also Arachnid. Dermacentor reticulatus ticks (Acari).

Dark Raptor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Argiope bruennichi

Araneus diadematus

Pardosa sp. (?)

Clubiona sp.

Trochosa rupicola

Micrommata virescens

Tegenaria sylvestris (?)

Not identified Lycosidae

Dolomedes plantarius

Pisaura mirabilis

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
As usual... the best spidie pics this side of the galaxy. :worship: :D
Coffee table book man! I know... thats sorta cheezy, but they are kinda in again over on this side of the pond. :D

One thing... do you have photoshop, gimp or other image editor? These images are 3 to 4X larger (file size) than they need to be. Whats happening is that they are at a res thats way beyond what a monitor can display anyway. They could load in a quarter of the time (bandwidth friendly... and considerate) and would look pretty much the same.

Dark Raptor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

One thing... do you have photoshop, gimp or other image editor? These images are 3 to 4X larger (file size) than they need to be. Whats happening is that they are at a res thats way beyond what a monitor can display anyway. They could load in a quarter of the time (bandwidth friendly... and considerate) and would look pretty much the same.
Yes, you are right. I prepare these pics for deviantart where I need the highiest quality. I was too lazy to prepare more "bandwith friendly" files :)

The Lycosidae not identified is Pirata sp. :)
Thank you for the ID. Thats funny. This specie hunt on the water surface... like real pirate ;)

I like pictures like this, showing how "sit-and-wait" predators can camouflage themselves.