some body help shes giving birth

t man{tal}

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
my w\c buthotus judaicus is giving birth i didnt know she was gravid i thought she was fat becouse i fed her alot
what do i do how do i keep the litlle ones alive do i take them out or do i live them with the mother do i feed her what about umidity
the terrarium is preety dry right now every info needed please help i have had only the expirienece on breeding tarantulas never on scorpions:eek: :eek: :eek:

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
First of all, relax. Now, she will probably appreciate higher humidity. If you have her in a small container, put that container into a larger container along with a container full of water. Make sure the larger container has some, but not a lot of, ventelation. If you have her in an aquarium or whatnot, put some damp towels over some of the ventelation area. This will raise the humidity a bit without actualy making the substrate wet or disturbing her.

Now, wait a week. The young should moult out once on her back and then will start to disperse shortly after that. This is the point where you collect them and seperate them out. Each should go in a small deli cup or similar and the humidity should be kept higher than for the mother. You can rip up crickets or whatnot for food -- just be sure to remove the extras before they mould up.

Cheers,
Dave

t man{tal}

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
thanks
any more info i shold know

*would a big show box be good to put her continer in along with another container with water to raise the umidity or will the cardboard will absorb the umidity?

*should i put her in a dark warm place?

*should i feed her?

*will she eat the young if she feels disturbed?

any info would be appriciated

btw: i have a book about scorps and other inverts that live in israel and it said they produce about 15-18 youngs

i cant belive it shes going to be mother

Last edited:

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
If she is eating the young you ahve a decision to make. Sometimes they will eat the young that are deformed or otherwise imperfect. Other times she will eat her entire clutch. Does she seem to be selectively eating them, or just munching them down? If it is the former, you could leave them. If it is the later, then you might want to remove them into small deli cups with damp (not wet) paper towel in the bottom.

Cheers,
Dave

Frank

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
To remove the youngs off her back, just use a small painting brush and push them in delicups.

Frank

t man{tal}

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
okay i put them in to a deli cup
what do i do next
how long i need to leave them there

t man{tal}

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
its almost 24 since the birth and they havent molted yet
there still in there egg like form
but i can tell that at least one of them is alive cause hes moving is legs is this normal

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
They will be about a week before they moult. During this time you have to keep the humidity high but without getting them too wet. I'll warn you now that most young seperated out at 1st instar do not make it. However, 0% of young eaten by their mother make it, so it is always a risk.

Cheers,
Dave

t man{tal}

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
they still dont look like scorpions
they are still covered in somthing they cant walk yet but i can see that they are alive there moving inside
is this normal?
and the mother is still fat could she have more young

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Being covered in stuff is very unusual. You may want to post some pics if you can or try to figure out what it is.

Cheers,
Dave

rainman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
so whats this mean, dave? if they're still inside of this gunk or what not? i havent had this problem, but i'd like to know in advance if it happens to me.