Some advice on my jumping spider please

Sarahsaur

Arachnopeon
So I'm super new to the spider world lol. I am almost positive I have a bold jumping spider. It kept showing up in my living room and I was told that if it was seen again it would be squished. :(

Basically im wondering can I keep this cutie as a pet? It's been extremely enjoyable to watch for these past 4ish days. I have it in a dollar store bug box. It's already eaten a big meal and I've seen it drinking water.
If I can keep it should I be removing the carcasses of the insects its eating? Is a bug box big enough for it? Im used to keeping dogs and rodents and reptiles. Not spiders. are there easy ways to catch bugs for my spider? If I have to buy crickets from the pet store I will. Id just prefer to catch something instead of spend money.
I tried the water bottle and wine vinager to catch flies but I had no luck :/ and I heard ants were a HUGE no because they can bite my spider. I tried to pre-kill an ant and my spider rejected it.

Does my spider need calcium or anything of the sorts like some reptiles do?
Sorry for all the newbie questions! It's hard to search this stuff up in depth online.

Sarahsaur

Arachnopeon
Here's the enclosure and the spider. It seems to really stay up top a lot and put its arms through the ventilation holes. Is this a bad thing? 20180615_162000.jpg 20180615_163456.jpg

AnObeseHippo

Arachnoknight
I don't know enough to speak on the enclosure. Food wise, no need to spray or gut load the feeders. Generally feeders are bought/bred instead of scavenged so you're sure you aren't potentially feeding your pet something that has eaten pesticides.

Christoph27

Arachnopeon
Could you get a close picture of the jumper?
The setup looks good, maybe add another plant for it to climb.
This is what i have mine in, the only downside, she wont use her hides and it's a top opening enclosure. Other than a few messed up webs she is pretty content and fun to watch. vent holes on both sides, I spray the substrate when it gets really dry, keep water in the dish and I try really hard not to mess her nest up when i feed her. I mix what i feed her between store bought and wild feeders she recently killed an earwig that had gotten into her enclosure somehow, but didn't eat it so im not sure about using them, i usually catch roaches from under logs near my house (also where i found her) or small crickets just make sure there hasn't been any pesticides sprayed around the area you collect your feeders. Ive had her for around 3 months and she is one of my favorite spiders in my collection to watch.
20180616_003710.jpg 20180616_003558.jpg
Very photogenic as well
20180523_220415.jpg

Christoph27

Arachnopeon
She is also the only spider in my collection i handle. Not often but every now and then ill let her crawl around on my hands (while i sit on the ground). Its pretty entertaining watching her look around.

Sarahsaur

Arachnopeon
Could you get a close picture of the jumper?
The setup looks good, maybe add another plant for it to climb.
This is what i have mine in, the only downside, she wont use her hides and it's a top opening enclosure. Other than a few messed up webs she is pretty content and fun to watch. vent holes on both sides, I spray the substrate when it gets really dry, keep water in the dish and I try really hard not to mess her nest up when i feed her. I mix what i feed her between store bought and wild feeders she recently killed an earwig that had gotten into her enclosure somehow, but didn't eat it so im not sure about using them, i usually catch roaches from under logs near my house (also where i found her) or small crickets just make sure there hasn't been any pesticides sprayed around the area you collect your feeders. Ive had her for around 3 months and she is one of my favorite spiders in my collection to watch.
View attachment 278209 View attachment 278210
Very photogenic as well
View attachment 278211
20180616_231618.jpg 20180616_231713.jpg
I hope these are good! I have a very angry jumping spider on my hands after these I can try and take better photos though if you want :)

AnObeseHippo

Arachnoknight
Just a heads up, it looks like it may be able to slip through those ventilation slits. Make sure its carapace is too large to slip through otherwise you may end up with a missing spoder :(

Very very pretty spider though. It looks like we live in the same province but I’ve never seen one. I’m really gonna keep my eyes peeled now

Sarahsaur

Arachnopeon
Just a heads up, it looks like it may be able to slip through those ventilation slits. Make sure its carapace is too large to slip through otherwise you may end up with a missing spoder :(

Very very pretty spider though. It looks like we live in the same province but I’ve never seen one. I’m really gonna keep my eyes peeled now
The pictures make it look small but it' actually quite large! It can fit its arms through the slits but not its carapace thankfully! :)

Thank you! For some reason these guys are all over the place here. Maybe there's just more in certian parts of Ontario lol

bulbophyllum

Arachnosquire
Bold jumping spiders, Phidippus audax, are awesome little spiders. They are all over and in my house during the summers here in Georgia. I have never kept them but, love watching them. They are great hunters and not scared to take down really large prey if hungry. Try to catch a house fly and watch it stalk it down.

Sarahsaur

Arachnopeon
Bold jumping spiders, Phidippus audax, are awesome little spiders. They are all over and in my house during the summers here in Georgia. I have never kept them but, love watching them. They are great hunters and not scared to take down really large prey if hungry. Try to catch a house fly and watch it stalk it down.
It's funny you should day that becayse I JUST captured pictures of my spider eating a rather large house fly! I was going to post them here :) 20180618_222441.jpg 20180618_222352.jpg

It was really cool seeing my spider take it down. It was so fast I didn't clue in right away what had happened!