Some advice on my Grammostola Pulchra

boina

Lady of the mites
Practically every European I know uses those front opening glass enclosures - I do, too, and without modification. Why? Well, they come in a lot of different styles, much more than Exo Terras, and several styles are specifically for terrestrials. They are not high, they are low and long, like 12"x12"x8" with 8" being height. Yes, you can't get more than 2" substrate in at the front end, so you need to do a sloping ground and it's useless for a T that wants to burrow deep, but otherwise they work well. As I said, everyone around here uses those, even and especially the most sucessful breeders, because they are so cheap, much ceaper than anything else. I mean you've 8 height, subtract 2" for substrate makes 6", so any T over 3-4" DLS will be fine. I've most of my larger Ts in 24"x12"x12"(height) front opening enclosures with three inches of substrate at the front and up to 6 at the back. Everything above 5" of leg span is fine in there. It's not where the doors are but the general design of the enclosure.

Stig

Arachnopeon
Update, finally got hold of a Faunabox, just the right size for her/him, trotted along peacfully to it's new home with just a Little nudge form a Paintbrush. :)

Time will tell if he/she is in premolt. I will try to feed in a day or two and see how it unfolds.

It

Regards

Attachments

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Looking good. :)

Keep in mind that Grammostola like it dry, I'd let the sub dry out alot.

Stig

Arachnopeon
Update and advice,
now the Little bugger seems happy in it's new enclosure, but! it has Sealed it self in Again. I doubt it will come out for food.....do I continue to throw food in when it's Sealed up,
or wait til it comes out ?.....I have no idea what it's up to.

Thanks

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
now the Little bugger seems happy in it's new enclosure, but! it has Sealed it self in Again. I doubt it will come out for food.....do I continue to throw food in when it's Sealed up,
or wait til it comes out ?.....I have no idea what it's up to.
When was the last time she molted? If she has never molted in your care, and she is refusing food, she is probably in pre-molt. If she is in pre-molt, leave her alone. Don't break into her burrow; don't throw food into the burrow. (Just keep the water dish full.)

Stig

Arachnopeon
When was the last time she molted? If she has never molted in your care, and she is refusing food, she is probably in pre-molt. If she is in pre-molt, leave her alone. Don't break into her burrow; don't throw food into the burrow. (Just keep the water dish full.)
Yes I was thinking the same thing, she's a Little fat lady and very dull grey'ish for a G.Pulchra, so she might very likely be in pre molt.
I will keep her dish full and leave her alone till she breaks Down her door and comes out.
Thank you

Stig

Arachnopeon
...as you can see, this is what her hide entrance looks like now sealed shut :)

Attachments

Stig

Arachnopeon
Ha, she has put out the "do not disturb" sign for you.
yes but I can see her in the back she has made a hole through to the side...I have "blocked" it up with a plastic back ground
on the outside so she has a dark den in there...she seems ok doing absolutely nothing!

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
yes but I can see her in the back she has made a hole through to the side...I have "blocked" it up with a plastic back ground
on the outside so she has a dark den in there...
I did the same thing for my Psalmopoeus cambridgei. Her log is in the corner. I covered the glass with a piece of vinyl so that she would not feel the need to obscure my view with her dirt curtain. Now I can peek in any time I want by peeling back the vinyl.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
on the outside so she has a dark den in there...she seems ok doing absolutely nothing!
Both my Grammostola pulchripes barricade themselves into their cork bark hide weeks before moulting and stay inside weeks after. My sub-adult female locked herself in six weeks prior, and stayed locked in for three weeks after, her last moult. Luckily, I could still see her from the outside.
Neither of my pulchra ever barricade themselves in - they barely use their hides at all, except to sit on top of them. Each one is an individual and has their quirks. Your pulchra looks very well fed and I wouldn't worry too much about her for a long time. Fresh water is a must, but I wouldn't worry too much about food. When she is hungry, she will make herself visible. :)

Stig

Arachnopeon
Both my Grammostola pulchripes barricade themselves into their cork bark hide weeks before moulting and stay inside weeks after. My sub-adult female locked herself in six weeks prior, and stayed locked in for three weeks after, her last moult. Luckily, I could still see her from the outside.
Neither of my pulchra ever barricade themselves in - they barely use their hides at all, except to sit on top of them. Each one is an individual and has their quirks. Your pulchra looks very well fed and I wouldn't worry too much about her for a long time. Fresh water is a must, but I wouldn't worry too much about food. When she is hungry, she will make herself visible. :)
Yeah she has a fat ass, "Fat-bottomed girls you make the rocking world go round" :) :headphone::astonished:

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
She looks healthy and plump, wouldn't be surprised if it molts soon :)
Mine who is same size as yours barricaded herself in as well, to emerge two weeks later with a shiny black coat :)