Some advice on my Grammostola Pulchra

Stig

Arachnopeon
Hi there,

My Grammostola Pulchra is my second T, so not much expierence yet. I have a Brachypelma Vegans wich is doing fine and eating.

My Pulchra is only max. 5 cm legspan, came out today after a week in hiding. It will not take a dubia or melworm....does it look like it's in pre moult?

I said " Say cheese" :)

Regards

Attachments

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Try a cricket or red runner and congrats it looks like a female but only the molt will tell for sure.

Haemus

Arachnosquire
It's tough to tell without a clear view of the abdomen. But with a plump backside like that, I wouldn't worry about it.

I have one that is of similar size, and she hasn't eaten for a month and a half now. Unfortunately, I don't believe she's in premolt, just growing slowly lol

Stig

Arachnopeon
Hi there,
update and thanks for the replies.
This is what the entrance looks like this morning it has Sealed it self in...I doubt it would do any good to throw food in...
As you can see from the pisture yesterday it was outside the Cork bark, now it's Sealed up under it.....

Regards

Attachments

cold blood

Staff member
Is that an exo terra style enclosure with front opening doors?

Bipolar Spider

Arachnopeon
Thats not an exo (you can tell from the picture), not that it matters, at all. That front door loading is bad for a terrestrial thing is rubbish regardless of how much someone goes on about it.

Stig

Arachnopeon
Well not exatcly it's a sliding glassdoor...up and Down yes and not ideal...but all I had, it will get a Faunabox when I move it....I don't like the front loading either.
But I don't think the T is all that concerned about it :)

cold blood

Staff member
Well not exatcly it's a sliding glassdoor...up and Down yes and not ideal...but all I had, it will get a Faunabox when I move it....I don't like the front loading either.
But I don't think the T is all that concerned about it :)
It will if it falls.....front doors prevent the addition of enough sub to create a safe environment for a terrestrial...these types of enclosures are essentially arboreal without modification....you can lay it on its back so the doors are at the top, then you could add enough sub...although that would also require damming part of the top ventilation.

You're moving it, so that's good...just something to consider for the future.

cold blood

Staff member
Thats not an exo (you can tell from the picture), not that it matters, at all. That front door loading is bad for a terrestrial thing is rubbish regardless of how much someone goes on about it.
I asked if it was that style...the brand is inconsequential...its the design that mattered.

I think your belief that they are fine is total rubbish.

Bipolar Spider

Arachnopeon
It's not just a belief, it's from experience. Height is an issue yes, so I solved that while still using front loaders. Your issue with them can be easily solved with a little effort.

cold blood

Staff member
It's not just a belief, it's from experience. Height is an issue yes, so I solved that while still using front loaders. Your issue with them can be easily solved with a little effort.
Yep, if you read my post you will see I explained how to use them so they are safe. So yeah, they can be used, but not conventionally, they should be modified.

Bipolar Spider

Arachnopeon
Then how is my belief that the front loaders are fine, rubbish? If you yourself are explaining how to make it safe? Also don't try that one mate, in another thread you didn't bother you just straight out came with front loaders are bad for T's and didn't bother explaining why. Bet the poor guy went and spent money on a new viv just because you couldnt be asked.

and please stop reading my post then editing yours

cold blood

Staff member
The op wasn't using it like that....how do you not see that? I told him they were "essentially" (important word in the sentence) arboreal without modification...I didn't say they flat out couldn't be used, I said they needed to be modified...you are putting words in my mouth. I have explained modifying them over and over again over the years.

And if you look, you can easily see that I have not edited anything.

Bipolar Spider

Arachnopeon
And I quote (please show me your important word here cold blood mate)

"Yes, move it...if for no other reason that the exo terra with front opening doors is an arboreal enclosure and not at all appropriate for any terrestrial."

'not at all' is what stands out to me but here you are few weeks later ...

I don't see any explanation there mate just move it for no other reason etc etc. I can see where you're going with the years and years thing lol. I remember you years ago waffling on about how people should move there skulls and decoration you didn't like either.

And you did edit it, I saw your post before you did. I've edited a post in this thread and for some reason it doesn't say edited. anyways

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Agree with Cold blood. Front opening enclosures simply aren't ideal for terrestrials right out of the box.

Nephila Edulis

Arachnoknight
Front opening is bad when it's the wrong kind of front opening enclosure, if the door is right at the top with a space underneath that can be filled with sub to a safe height for a terrestrial then it's fine

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Regardless, you seemed to be picking out inconsequential details and going on about them..