Some Advice and Help Please.

EricsRep

Arachnopeon
Hi, my name is Andy. I am new to this forum and this is my first post.
I am looking for some help and advice for the near future.

The Idea-
2019 will hold a great new start for myself as I will be leaving the nest of my parents home and purchasing my own home with my partner. After a reasonably short discussion I have been given permission to have a reptile room - what a lovely person she is.
Currently I own the following:
  • Hermann's Tortoise
  • Milk Frogs
  • Two Brazilian Rainbow Boas
  • Charcoal Morph Corn Snake
  • Diamond Python
  • Three Giant Day Geckos, (Successfully bred 12 babies this year)
  • A Golden/Yellow Tailed Scorpion
  • Panther Chameleon
I am however missing T's for now.

One thing I would love to achieve in life is to make a living doing something I love.
I have a goal in life which is to educate those who are naive and scared of the more exotic animals that live within our world.

Part of what I would like to do is Successfully breed the animals I keep. I am experienced with lizards and snakes but have no experience with T's whatsoever. However, I think am well informed on the select few I am hoping to own which are the following -
  • Monocentropus Balfouri (Colony)
  • Mexican Red Rump
  • Brazilian Black
  • Earth Tiger
I do however have questions on keeping these animals i.e. the most efficient way to heat them etc...
As you can probably tell i would like to breed these species in the future. I want to make this clear I am not interested in making money this is a passion I have and the idea of helping a species breed and continue to grow and gaining a better understanding of them is what I wish to gain, however I would like to sell the animals to competent people who are going to take care of them.

Now the big question I have is how would I set up my reptile room and what would be the best purchases I could make to ensure the heath of the T's, the best type of racking which doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Also housing is a big issue for me as I have never kept t's before but would like to keep a very realistic enclosure for them. I was wondering what could I buy and how would I best house them? I have bio setups for all my current animals so I know how to set them up I just want advice on how best to house them.
Treat me like I have no idea because in reality reading multiple care sheets is the most experience I have when it comes to t's.

Thank you in advance for the help and advice.

The Seraph

Arachnolord
First off use the Latin names. Common name are too confusing. I would start with Bracypelma Vagans (Red Rump) or/and the Grammostola Pulchra (Brazilian Black). They are easier to care for then the two Old Worlds. Also, do not start with a M. Balfouri communal. They are hard to manage. You are over thinking the housing. Just get sterlite tubs (or condiment cups for slings) and fill it with substrate until it is 1.5 times the length of the tarantula from the lid to the top of the substrate. Use a hide, preferably cork bark, and do not worry about humidity and temperature. Humidity is irrelevant and as long as you are comfortable then the tarantulas will be comfortable in that heat. Also, NEVER listen to care sheets. They are useless. Hope this helps.

EricsRep

Arachnopeon
First off use the Latin names. Common name are too confusing. I would start with Bracypelma Vagans (Red Rump) or/and the Grammostola Pulchra (Brazilian Black). They are easier to care for then the two Old Worlds. Also, do not start with a M. Balfouri communal. They are hard to manage. You are over thinking the housing. Just get sterlite tubs (or condiment cups for slings) and fill it with substrate until it is 1.5 times the length of the tarantula from the lid to the top of the substrate. Use a hide, preferably cork bark, and do not worry about humidity and temperature. Humidity is irrelevant and as long as you are comfortable then the tarantulas will be comfortable in that heat. Also, NEVER listen to care sheets. They are useless. Hope this helps.
Thank you for the advice, obviously I wouldn't be purchasing all these at once. The Grammostola Pulchra would be the first to be purchased as this was the one that first peeked my interest into T's. I want to utilise the space within the room the best I can would there be any racking or shelves that are idea for keeping them on for example - https://www.wayfair.co.uk/furniture...-etagere-bookcase-grok1007.html?piid=33640683

Enrgy

Arachnosquire
sup andy :) but yea u should slowly start with species from the new world as spiders are not as predictable as snakes/lizards but u can get somewhat used to their behavior over time.

they don't need heating, room temp is fine.

watch people like - 'Tom Moran' or 'Jon3800' on youtube for any additional info or
use the search function on here. u will also see how popular regular everyday household items can be used to house them such as jars/condiment containers plastic containers etc.

Last edited:

CJJon

Arachnokrólewicz
First thing to do is search the forums here and come up with specific questions to ask. T's are relatively easy to keep compared to your current collection, so I am sure you will do fine. You also probably have the live food issue figured out too, which is great.

I would recommend getting a confirmed female rather than a sling for sure. Nothing fancy for housing just now. Again, search the forums here. There are great examples of enclosures from the most basic (but perfectly adequate) deli cups all the way to high-end terrarium set ups. Make sure to post pics of your enclosure and the folks here will critique. This is better to do before you add the T.

Oh, and New World only, non-communal for now...

CJJon

Arachnokrólewicz
i think it'd be a better a experience to start with a sling
The OP wants to breed T's eventually. Would suck to sink a couple years into raising a sling and find out it is male...

Also, bigger T's are easier to keep and more interesting generally. Although, If I had to do it over I would have got a sling and a sexed female when I started. :smug:

I'd say set up a juvie female in a nice display enclosure and keep a few deli cups of slings to raise.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I am experienced with lizards and snakes but have no experience with T's whatsoever. However, I think am well informed on the select few I am hoping to own which are the following
  • Mexican Red Rump
  • Brazilian Black
  • Earth Tiger
Personally I would wait (just for saying) before thinking to start a 'colony' of M.balfouri. Even one single specimen (to keep per se) would be a bad idea at this point, since you never kept a spider. No matter how much 'well informed' you may be, you will lack the mandatory, direct experience 'know how' for deal with that.

Stay away, also, from the "Earth Tiger", which, if I'm not wrong (damn I hate common names) is an Asian, former 'Haplo', obligate burrower. Fast, extremely defensive and venomous as heck (they can deliver five bites within few seconds e.g multiple bites).

I don't want to 'demolish' you, don't get me wrong... view this as a 'bro' advice, Andy :)

Enrgy

Arachnosquire
The OP wants to breed T's eventually. Would suck to sink a couple years into raising a sling and find out it is male...
that's why he should get several! and by the time they're mature he'll have enough experience to breed :)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hi, my name is Andy. I am new to this forum and this is my first post.
I am looking for some help and advice for the near future.

The Idea-
2019 will hold a great new start for myself as I will be leaving the nest of my parents home and purchasing my own home with my partner. After a reasonably short discussion I have been given permission to have a reptile room - what a lovely person she is.
Currently I own the following:
  • Hermann's Tortoise
  • Milk Frogs
  • Two Brazilian Rainbow Boas
  • Charcoal Morph Corn Snake
  • Diamond Python
  • Three Giant Day Geckos, (Successfully bred 12 babies this year)
  • A Golden/Yellow Tailed Scorpion
  • Panther Chameleon
I am however missing T's for now.

One thing I would love to achieve in life is to make a living doing something I love.
I have a goal in life which is to educate those who are naive and scared of the more exotic animals that live within our world.

Part of what I would like to do is Successfully breed the animals I keep. I am experienced with lizards and snakes but have no experience with T's whatsoever. However, I think am well informed on the select few I am hoping to own which are the following -
  • Mexican Red Rump
  • Brazilian Black
  • Earth Tiger
I do however have questions on keeping these animals i.e. the most efficient way to heat them etc...
As you can probably tell i would like to breed these species in the future. I want to make this clear I am not interested in making money this is a passion I have and the idea of helping a species breed and continue to grow and gaining a better understanding of them is what I wish to gain, however I would like to sell the animals to competent people who are going to take care of them.

Now the big question I have is how would I set up my reptile room and what would be the best purchases I could make to ensure the heath of the T's, the best type of racking which doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Also housing is a big issue for me as I have never kept t's before but would like to keep a very realistic enclosure for them. I was wondering what could I buy and how would I best house them? I have bio setups for all my current animals so I know how to set them up I just want advice on how best to house them.
Treat me like I have no idea because in reality reading multiple care sheets is the most experience I have when it comes to t's.

Thank you in advance for the help and advice.
Nice to see a fellow herper. Best advice.... throw out everything you learned about herps, it's useless with Ts. Not a single piece of herp info helped me with Ts, except to know where to obtain exotic supplies.

Esp the info on heating...don't heat Ts like you do with herps, you will kill them.

Care sheets kills Ts- DO NOT USED THEM.

If you are going to breed, breed species that aren't common.

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
Brachypelma vagans
Grammostola pulchripes

You have these listed with common names (not helpful), but they are your best bet out of the four you mentioned. If you come to find them boring after a short while, move on and up. Welcome to T world!

boina

Lady of the mites
Rule no. 1: Tarantulas aren't reptiles. As @viper69 already said: If you try to keep a tarantula like you'd keep a reptile you will kill them. That means: No heating pads/lamps, no extra lights, no humidity measurement - and for 3 out of the 4 species you mentioned no bioactive enclosures (only with the Earth tiger/Haplopelma/Cyriopagopus could that work).

G. pulchra is great and easy to keep, but either you get an adult female - and pay a lot for it - or you'll wait years for it to grow to sexual maturity.

B. vagans is great and easy to keep and grows reasonably fast, but they are a dime a dozen - don't breed them, you'll never be able to sell all of them.

Monocentropus balfouri - they are great and easy to keep alive, but... well, you know, I really have plenty of experience and just this morning I rehoused my two M. balfouris... which ended with one of them running off while I was dealing with the other and then me chasing an extremely fast and highly venomous spider through my living room... please, do yourself and everyone around you a favor and wait until you have had at least some hands on experience with tarantulas. They are fast, as in faster than your eye can track, and their venom is no joke.

Haplopelma/Cyriopagopus - whatever Earth tiger you mean: Their setup is more involved, but I'm sure you can handle it. What you may not be able to handle is a highly defensive spider. Everyday maintenance will be a breeze - they dig a burrow and hardly ever come out, but try rehousing... You have to dig up a spider from a big pile of dirt. First you won't know exactly where it is and then suddenly it comes racing out, ready to bite anything it can find... and the venom is no joke either. Please, wait for more hands on experience...

Theneil

Arachnoprince
First the very basics (sorry for a little bit of repeat from what others have said)

On arachnoboards scientific names arw used almost exclusively as it removes a lot of the confusion of common names. Unfortunatwly one tarantula species can have 10 different common names. Also ten different species can have extremely similar or partially overlapping common names, so if you use the scientific name you will have a much more efficient time researching.

Unlike snakes or geckos tarantulas arent going to develope a trust for you or become comfortable with you over time.

Tarantulas do not need any sponges/cotton/rocks etc. in their water dish.

Anything from the americas is called a New World (NW) species Everything else is Old World (OW). New worlds USUALLY have urticating hairs as a defense mechanism, oldworlds don't. Old worlds are Generally considered faster and expected to have Significantly more potent venom.

If a tarantula can fit it's carapace through a hole or gap, the ENTIRE tarantula can fit, regardless of how fat it may be.

As for care.

B. vagans -
Terrestrial. Provide limited head space to prevent fall risk. 1.5 times the legspan of the tarantula is the recomended max distance from the lid to the ground. Floor space is genneraly recxomended to be 2-4 times the legspan in each direction.
Can be kept with partially moist substrate so you could probably work out something bioactive.

G. pulchra -
Terrestrial, with burrowing tendancies so try to provide a good amount of substrate. Substrate should be predominately dry with occasional partial dampness being acceptable.

Sounds like you are taking the advice of others and starting with a new world so i wont elaborate on care for the other sp. mentioned.

The above is mostly just random stuff off the top of my head. Any other questions you have just ask.