Solving the substrate question

Mandiblehead

Arachnopeon
I personally feel that you're overthinking the substrate question. I've been keeping T's for a long time and have never had issues with the old school peat, cocofiber and sometimes vermiculite mix.
I wouldnt say Ive ever had problems. But ive seen debates and opinions. IM just seeing what myn tends to lean to, Im sure it could vary a bit from spider to spider. hes hanging out on the same side of the tank as before, im not sure if that has to do with the moss, or just his spot in the room he likes. Kind of like sheldon. His couch might not even matter, It might be all about the spot.

Rob1985

This user has no status.
I wouldnt say Ive ever had problems. But ive seen debates and opinions. IM just seeing what myn tends to lean to, Im sure it could vary a bit from spider to spider. hes hanging out on the same side of the tank as before, im not sure if that has to do with the moss, or just his spot in the room he likes. Kind of like sheldon. His couch might not even matter, It might be all about the spot.
I totally understand experimenting and having fun, but if you just want your T to settle in, then a peat and coco fibre mix possibly with some vermiculite will be just fine.

FYI, there's a lot of debating over stuff that works. Some of which I understand, but a lot of which I don't

If it ain't broke, and works just fine, don't fix it.

Last edited:

Mandiblehead

Arachnopeon
My crickets were keeping me up my gecko didn't eat them for some reason so I threw it in the t tank. He went for them. That's awesome he's not all stressed and happy to eat. In his new home Ya I agree Rob. I think all three are good choices. Especially the mix. He seems to be settling on the moss. I think instead of a thirty percent moss mix I might bump up the moss ratio. After my next substrate change . He currently is making a pad ( I think ,. In his last tank he gathered a bunch of moss up and webbed up a little ledge thing and a little pad . He's salsa dancing g right now. Probly whipping up a little pad

Mandiblehead

Arachnopeon
UPDAATE. I may have done a bad thing. peatmoss is the most expencive substrate. He dosent look like hes left the mossy part of the tank, quite possibly enjoying it too much, now to keep him happy I might have to use moss all the time. BUt again, that was the side of the tank he liked to chill at before the new home and substrate change. his burrow was on the other side and he only used it once for his first molt, his second and third he did outside. it might not be about the best substrate choice, It might just be the spot in the tank he likes best. Perhaps theres a SHeldon situation going on. Sheldon might not even care about the couch, Its all about the spot.

cold blood

Staff member
FYI, there's a lot of debating over stuff that works. Some of which I understand, but a lot of which I don't
True, there are many options and variations that work...some work better in certain climates, but there's definitely not one certain way to do anything.

I wouldn't use vermiculite, I rarely mix things...rob here, does, and has a mixture he found that he likes...I'd never use it, he may never use my straight soil or peat, but in the end, both of us will grow our ts into healthy adults...so ultimately there's many right and very few wrong answers, really just a lot of personal preference....just like many housing debates.

UPDAATE. I may have done a bad thing. peatmoss is the most expencive substrate.
Surprising, here in the states its the cheapest thing aside from dirt. I bought a bag that was nearly as large as I am for like 5 bucks...took 2 years to use up.

There. Ya happy now. : P.
See now that's at least functional:)

Last edited:

Mandiblehead

Arachnopeon
True, there are many options and variations that work...some work better in certain climates, but there's definitely not one certasin way to do anything.

I wouldn't use vermiculite, I rarely mix things...rob here, does, and has a mixture he found that he likes...I'd never use it, he may never use my straight soil or peat, but in the end, both of us will grow our ts into healthy adults...so ultimately there's no right and very few wrong answers, really just a lot of personal preference....just like many housing debates.

Surprising, here in the states its the cheapest thing aside from dirt. I bought a bad that was nearly as large as I am for like 5 bucks...took 2 years to use up.

Lol. Well. I don't want to be changing it out lots in order to not dress him. I have a big crystal I might put in it. It's alot less encumbersome. Or I might go find a log that crosses the three substrates. Then I'll leave it alone

Rob1985

This user has no status.
True, there are many options and variations that work...some work better in certain climates, but there's definitely not one certain way to do anything.

I wouldn't use vermiculite, I rarely mix things...rob here, does, and has a mixture he found that he likes...I'd never use it, he may never use my straight soil or peat, but in the end, both of us will grow our ts into healthy adults...so ultimately there's many right and very few wrong answers, really just a lot of personal preference....just like many housing debates.

Surprising, here in the states its the cheapest thing aside from dirt. I bought a bag that was nearly as large as I am for like 5 bucks...took 2 years to use up.

I only add vermiculite to the bottom of my fossorial species enclosure to help facilitate water making it their burrow or in the case of higher humidity less fossorial species, I'll mix it in. Otherwise, it's peat and coco fiber mix is, wich has been my go to mix for the better part of 10 years.