Solofugid breeding project

arachnoherp

Arachnosquire
Sometime in the seminear future i would like to try a breeding project with these. I would buy at least 6 of the same species as small as possible so i can raise them up vs starting with large adults whose days may be numbered. I will be feeding sparingly and will simulate a winter cooling for hibernation purposes to A lengthen the life span and B possibly stimulate breeding receptivness in females. If anyone has any sources where a small quantity of the same species can be bought at smaller sizes please let me know. If anyone has any advice please let me know.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
fyi, for any solifugid, you will not be able to mate them in enclosures.

a lengthy courtship chase is required, otherwise the female will kill the male every time. you'll have to drop a full grown female in a wide open area without any cover, let her run around, then release the male and hope she laid a chemotrail for him to follow. he will pick up on the trail and track her. eventually he'll catch up to her. if she's receptive and accepts him, she will abruptly stop and allow him to run into her. Mating will immediately commence, if she likes him, she'll go into a tonic immobile state and allow him to inseminate her. if not, she will do a 180 and kill him/

arachnoherp

Arachnosquire
Thankyou for the info! Have you attemoted pairing these before? Would a very large storage container or bathtub suffice as a breeding area?

arachnoherp

Arachnosquire
Just an update, i will be getting 3 juveniles this Thursday and ill gradually add 3 more just to be certain once tyey mature ill have at least one of each sex.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Thankyou for the info! Have you attemoted pairing these before? Would a very large storage container or bathtub suffice as a breeding area?
containers will not work, the female needs to run unrestricted for a while, your best shot is letting a big mature female run around in a barren field without any vegetation for an hour or two, then releasing a mature male where she's left her chemo-trail nearby so he can pick up on her scent and track her. This could take anywhere from ten minutes to several hours.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
containers will not work, the female needs to run unrestricted for a while, your best shot is letting a big mature female run around in a barren field without any vegetation for an hour or two, then releasing a mature male where she's left her chemo-trail nearby so he can pick up on her scent and track her. This could take anywhere from ten minutes to several hours.
How do you make sure she doesn't escape? Would you add any sort of barrier?

arachnoherp

Arachnosquire
Which species does this courtship appy to? Surely not all of them breed in this manner

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
How do you make sure she doesn't escape? Would you add any sort of barrier?
a barrier would interfere and likely result in her killing him. A wide-open area devoid of vegetation with bare earth should suffice.

Solifugae are active wanderers and they all virtually have the same courtship method, especially galeodidae, eremobatidae, and ammotrechidae, which is why they're never captive-bred. It's impossible in captivity because they stress and try to escape containers when disturbed.