1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

solifugids actually lives longer than we think

Discussion in 'True Spiders & Other Arachnids' started by Randolph XX(), Jan 14, 2006.

1. Smokehound714

Smokehound714 Arachnoking Active Member

Socal
    Advertisement
    In the colorado desert, it can get downright cold at night. Killing freezes are commonplace in deserts (except where thermal heat-belts exist, where the temps in winter can be quite mild)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Biollantefan54

Biollantefan54 Arachnoprince Active Member

So if I put it outside during the whole winter, it being say 5 degrees one night, it will be fine?

3. Smokehound714

Socal
    Well, that might kill it lol. they burrow quite deep, so they escape the worst of it, just leave it be. it could be a juvenile, still. If you get them while they're young, you'll have them for far longer than a few months. Im sure they probably take a year or two to mature, considering how long my juvenile took to end premolt and finish molting

4. Biollantefan54

I got the solifugid Friday, it is from Colorado and is TINY. It burrows deep in the container already. Do they get in any position at all for brumation? But I was saying like if for just one night, it went down that low, would it be ok? Thanks Smokehound. You have been a great help to me.

5. Smokehound714

Socal
    They completely bury themselves. To prepare for winter, they completely encapsulate themselves into a cell. Just leave it alone, and it'll be okay, you probably wont see it again until spring of next year, especially if it's a small juvenile.

6. Biollantefan54

It has already completely buried itself. Should I put it outside then or leave it inside?

7. Smokehound714

Socal
    Just leave it inside, in a room that never gets heated, and it'll be just fine.

8. Biollantefan54

Ok, yeah it is still barricaded in with no sign of coming out lol. I wonder if their care is sort of like vinegaroons? Every fall/winter they brumate and maybe molt during that time?

9. Smokehound714

Socal
    They come out at night. Resist the urge to dig it up with all your ability- it's probably gonna be in there until spring.

• Like Like x 1
  10. remainpositive

remainpositive Arachnosquire

Tempe
    I was up in Ahwatukee (Az obviously) by South Mountain yesterday and I sat in the dirt and got nipped by something that looked like Galeodes granti I was surprised they were actually roaming about still.

• Like Like x 1