solifugids actually lives longer than we think

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Ok, the only thing that worries me is last year it got 8 degree Fahrenheit outside and they say this year its supposed to be a lot worse. I know in the wild they have very deep burrows which would insulate them a little but obviously it wont have it to that extent. If I bring it in, it will warm back up and awake again?
In the colorado desert, it can get downright cold at night. Killing freezes are commonplace in deserts (except where thermal heat-belts exist, where the temps in winter can be quite mild)

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
So if I put it outside during the whole winter, it being say 5 degrees one night, it will be fine?

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
So if I put it outside during the whole winter, it being say 5 degrees one night, it will be fine?
Well, that might kill it lol. they burrow quite deep, so they escape the worst of it, just leave it be. it could be a juvenile, still. If you get them while they're young, you'll have them for far longer than a few months. Im sure they probably take a year or two to mature, considering how long my juvenile took to end premolt and finish molting

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I got the solifugid Friday, it is from Colorado and is TINY. It burrows deep in the container already. Do they get in any position at all for brumation? But I was saying like if for just one night, it went down that low, would it be ok? Thanks Smokehound. You have been a great help to me.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
I got the solifugid Friday, it is from Colorado and is TINY. It burrows deep in the container already. Do they get in any position at all for brumation? But I was saying like if for just one night, it went down that low, would it be ok? Thanks Smokehound. You have been a great help to me.
They completely bury themselves. To prepare for winter, they completely encapsulate themselves into a cell. Just leave it alone, and it'll be okay, you probably wont see it again until spring of next year, especially if it's a small juvenile.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It has already completely buried itself. Should I put it outside then or leave it inside?

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Ok, yeah it is still barricaded in with no sign of coming out lol. I wonder if their care is sort of like vinegaroons? Every fall/winter they brumate and maybe molt during that time?

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Ok, yeah it is still barricaded in with no sign of coming out lol. I wonder if their care is sort of like vinegaroons? Every fall/winter they brumate and maybe molt during that time?
They come out at night. Resist the urge to dig it up with all your ability- it's probably gonna be in there until spring.

remainpositive

Arachnosquire
I was up in Ahwatukee (Az obviously) by South Mountain yesterday and I sat in the dirt and got nipped by something that looked like Galeodes granti I was surprised they were actually roaming about still.

TylerFishman5675

Arachnosquire
I think jumping spiders and solifuges have a comparable life span, yet jumping spiders are less common in the hobby.

XxSpiderQueenxX

Arachnobaron
Yes, I agree with zinto. While too big may not be good, this is WAY to small. The spider probably can barely move! You should upgrade it. Good lucky! :D

Arachnopeon
I agree but people seem to think insects dont care which is just neglect in my opinion

Fox402

Arachnopeon
8F79CCD5-5D99-4872-BB67-82AB7752C4FB.jpeg I didn’t realize how extensive of burrows these guys will make. The entire container (13” x 7.5”) has been burrowed through at one point or another. I constantly find him making new burrows and closing old ones off. Also, when I was in the desert getting soil to put in the container, I was amazed at how damp the soil was just a few inches down. I think these guys need more moisture than we realize. Just my observations.

Arachnopeon
I had a pregnant camel spider and she laid her eggs but I cant find them anywhere in her enclosure, she has looked near death the whole day which was expected but I am just baffled on where the eggs are. Any ideas? She was wild caught and she 100% was pregnant

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
They lay eggs in a cell they dig in clay. They generally die from the trauma as the eggs literally burst out all at once.

kermitdsk

Arachnosquire
she has looked near death the whole day which was expected
Be 100% sure she is death, Solifugae need months for a molt in that time they look like dead. That is a big mistake that people think they are dead but they are not always dead maybe just molting.

Royalty

Arachnoknight
What sub do you think is best? I have some desert sand but I do not think it holds shape enough for one to burrow.

Reluctant Widow Mother

Arachnosquire
In passing, someone told me that solifugids (AKA solpugids) will eat until they burst. Is this true? I am sure they have a tougher time finding prey in the wild, but assuming there's a glut of prey, wouldn't non-stop eating be counter-productive, evolutionarily speaking? I'm sure someone here can tell me if this is baloney. It sounds like it might be.

Maybe we tend to overfeed our animals. I'm pretty sure I lost my last black widow for that reason, and I still feel guilty.

Maybe we should let arachnids go into diapause (just learned that word today). I'm brumating my snakes, so why not allow the spiders to do their thing, too? Diapause is no fun for human caretakers because we can't watch our spiders do cool things, but it might be better for them in the long run. What do you think?

I'm still very new to caring for captive arachnids. Most of my knowledge has come from field study, but I want to learn more.

Here's a solpugid I found on one of my night walks with friends. We always have a good time on these walks. I admit to having an irrational fear of solpugids, but maybe taking care of one would help me to get over that fear. I used to be much more afraid of spiders before I started studying them and caring for rescues.
Night Walk - Solpugid - 033.jpg

update
it's awake now

see
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=48763
for molting
the reason that solifugids have such short live span is the frequency of feeding!
my budy feed this bugger one meal worm per week, non during the hibernation period
he used to feed them daily like everybody said, and they all got fat then die without any reason
hope this help