1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

solifugids actually lives longer than we think

Discussion in 'True Spiders & Other Arachnids' started by Randolph XX(), Jan 14, 2006.

1. Randolph XX()

Randolph XX() Arachnoprince Old Timer

Advertisement
    Just got a news from my friend in Taiwan
    his captive hatched solifugids (presumebly G.granti) is still alive and kicking now, and not mature yet(plz check the solifugids molting thread i posted a while ago)
    the story goes back to a wc mom laid 13 eggs, and it is only one left now
    it has been two yrs since hatched
    the point is
    they hibernate in winter!
    my freind just let it hibernate under normal winter temperature in Taiwan, around 15-20c, and it just wakes up in spring
    2004/8/4 born
    2004/8/19 first molt
    2004/10/21 second molt
    hibernated
    2005/7/14 third
    2005/8/31 fourth
    2005/10/3 fifth
    hibernating now

pictures will be updated soon

Last edited: Jan 14, 2006
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Bungholio

Bungholio Arachnosquire Old Timer

Europe
    This is a very interesting point, I´m never heard it about solifugids.
    Do they hibernate in they natural habitate too?

3. Anthony

Anthony Arachnoknight Old Timer

That is good information, thank you.

4. Scolopeon

Scolopeon Arachnoknight Old Timer

Hmm well I heard that they are seasonal animals.. just like a praying mantid, which explains why mine only lasted a few months.. anyway this'll be an interesting turn of invents I think solfugids are very cool..

If their mortality rate does rise i'll be looking to get another..

5. Cheshire

Cheshire Arachnoking Old Timer

Iowa
    Keep us posted. That is really cool

6. Scorp guy

Scorp guy Arachnoangel Old Timer

sound interesting randel!

7. Randolph XX()

update
    it's awake now
    [​IMG]
    see
    http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=48763
    for molting
    the reason that solifugids have such short live span is the frequency of feeding!
    my budy feed this bugger one meal worm per week, non during the hibernation period
    he used to feed them daily like everybody said, and they all got fat then die without any reason
    hope this help

Last edited: Feb 6, 2006
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Wade

Wade Arachnoking Old Timer

I suspect much of the "common wisdom" concerning these animals is incorrect. You always hear that they have to be kept hot, in big cages, and fed alot. All three of these may, in fact, be incorrect and actually detrimental to their longevity.

It should be pointed out that lifespan may be variable fom species to species as well as individual to individual.

Wade

• Like Like x 2
  9. danread

danread Arachnoprince Old Timer

Also bear in mind that what happens in captivity might not occur the wild. Just because one solphugid has lived for two years in artificial conditions doesn't mean this happens reguarly in the wild (although thats not to say it doesn't).

Cheers,

10. bistrobob85

bistrobob85 Arachnoprince Old Timer

I would be really interested to know if feeding frequently would burn the solifugid's methabolism that much... It would probably be necessary to purchase a small group and see which ones live the longest...

11. Randolph XX()

true wade, but the thing is, it's not mature yet
    as 5th instr, so it's quite possible it will live for longer than two yrs

I am not sure if the case of CB scorps can compare to the situation

i received few CBB A.australis which were born in July 05, and one of them is 6th instar now, cuz i feed her as much as she wants under the temp of 90F

a lot of scorpion breeders in Taiwan reports that most CBB scorps(Androctonus, Parabuthus) fed well and raised by constant hot temperature(85f+) have tendency to mature faster in smaller sizes and have shorter lifespan
    for example WC P.trans can reach 15 cm, but cbs that mature in a yr are mostly around 10cm. Same case apply to A.australis, WC 10cm, CBBs 7-8cm
    with only 2 yrs lifespan, and those WC scorps which have been through seasonal change and not well fed live for 5+yrs

besides , they do have a short period of winter in the dessert, but the assumption is hard to make due to lack of field research evidence

but if this only happens in captivity, it is still good for the hobby to keep solifugids that way

• Like Like x 1
  12. Wade

Wade Arachnoking Old Timer

Metabolism of all arthropods is regulated by temperature, so it would be surprising if solipugids were an exception, so your comparison to scorpions is probably quite appropriate. By heating and feeding heavy, keepers may be pushing their captive solipugids to the end of their lifespan faster.

Also, G granti is a desert species from a region that does not experience extreme winters, so such species may live longer than temperate ones, such as those that occur in the US. Most of the Galeodes in the trade are collected as WC adults and may be at the end of their lifepan already. We will need more success with breeding or at least rearing babies from WC females to get the whole picture. Could be these hot-climate species just take longer to reach adulthood than previously assumed.

Wade

• Like Like x 1
  13. Randolph XX()

Sorry to bring this up again
    by the short period of winter i stated above is the winter in Taiwan, which is different than the winter in North America
    it's about 15 C,even Even hotter then a summer night here in Canada

• Like Like x 1
  14. Ganoderma

Ganoderma Arachnobaron

Taiwan has a winter? i must have been sleeping.

do you guys hapen to have more info on conditions? what sort of cage setup were they in? heat, humidity, water etc? any idea on habitat conditions they were foudn in? were they the taiwanese specie?

15. BLS Blondi

BLS Blondi Arachnoknight Old Timer

Solifugids

It is good to hear that they can live a while in captivity. I have been wanting to get one for a while. Who out there in the US has any for sale?

16. being that i find large ones(for here) early in the spring i would think that they can hibernate, we can have snow on the ground for up to 6 months so i cant believe these things only live for 6 monthst when ive found a wide range of sizes at any point during the late spring, summer and early fall. never tried to keep one long though. might have to try and let it hibernate in my unheated garage.

17. Randolph XX()

well, just a deli cup
    no heating, no water supply, as I SAid b4, they are G.granti, the Arabian sps

18. zinto

zinto Arachnoknight

That picture you posted of it is what it's living in??? :?

19. Randolph XX()

Yes
    my friend keeps all his CBB desert scorpions (Androtonus, Parabuthus, Hottentona) and desert solifufids this way

20. zinto

zinto Arachnoknight

That seems awfully cruel to me...

• Like Like x 1