1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Solifugid update

Discussion in 'True Spiders & Other Arachnids' started by velvetundergrowth, Aug 2, 2019.

1. velvetundergrowth

velvetundergrowth Lobopro Arachnosupporter

Advertisement
    Can't remember if I posted about my Solifugid yet, but this is a Galeodes granti I got about a month ago.

She was quite active the first few days I got her but wouldn't take any prey and seemed to be wary of anything dropped into her enclosure. In a few days she had began burrowing under the rockery at the back of her enclosure. Since burrowing all the way to the plastic walls of the enclose she hasn't come out, as far as I can tell.
    I figured she may be entering a dormant phase, due to the refusal of food and eagerness to burrow. I moved her enclosure to a room that gets no traffic whatsoever so she can be without disturbance.

I have periodically checked on her and today is the first time I observed any change in her position within the burrow, she had spun around 180°.

I'm hoping this is a positive development, and that she is indeed entering a dormant stage! Fingers crossed!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  2. chanda

chanda Arachnoprince Active Member

Very cool! Mine has been buried for just over a month now - but she wasn't as cooperative as yours. Her burrow is nowhere near the sides of the enclosure. I'm just leaving her alone and letting her do her thing - and hoping that she's still alive and well under there. I keep a little water in the substrate at one end of the enclosure, but I'm not going to feed her until she comes out on her own.

3. korg

korg Arachnobaron

Solifugids are so interesting... I only know what I've read here on AB and through other internet research, but it seems like there's a lot still to learn about keeping them thriving consistently in captivity. Hopefully you have good luck. The more people keep them and report on them here the better chance we all have of learning and developing best practices.

Is the dormant phase not tied to temperature/seasons? Entering the heart of summer in the northern hemisphere so it would be interesting if that's when they choose to hibernate. Or perhaps it's tied to other factors?

Any chance it's coming out at night?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. velvetundergrowth

velvetundergrowth Lobopro Arachnosupporter

I've placed it in a much cooler area than the room that houses most of the other Inverts. It's the same room I keep my cool climate animals in.
    I suppose it's possible that it's been venturing out but the fact that I check on it nightly after midnight and that it doesn't seem to change position in it's burrow leads me to believe it's staying in there on purpose.

• Like Like x 1