Solfugid ID

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey, I just got 4 solfugids today and I haven't kept any before so I don't know anything about them except basic care and stuff.
But what I would really like to know is what species or at least what genera they might be.

This first one was bought as Galeodes sp., which I also think it is, maybe arabs.

But this other one I have no idea what it could be? It's probably from the same location as the first one if that's any help? It's small and fuzzy like a chicken =)

Thankful for any guesses =)

kyle_de_aussie

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sorry man i know nothing about these, but i have to say jesus those things are cool ive seen these before but never with such hairy legs thats a really cool spider you have there dude
Great pictures :)

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
the last one is totally awesome, haha real funny, hope you will get some info im sorry I cant help either

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Very nice solifugids. They are both females. The first one is of the family Galeodidae and most likely in the genus Galeodes. Galeodes arabs is a fairly common, large species of northern Africa so it is possible that is what it could be. Separate species within the genus Galeodes are almost impossible to identify just from photos. The second specimen might be of a different genus within the Galeodidae or more likely a species within the Solpugidae, another family with large species occurring in Africa. I am by no means an authority on Solifugae, though, so these are just guesses. Beautiful arachnids nonetheless, whatever the exact species may be.

Alex S.

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks for the answers, they are really interresting to watch. I sat up half the night wathing them dig around and hunting crickets.
Awesome arachnids.

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
@ Alex >>> How do you tell whether it's male or female by the way?

Nikos

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Nice arachninds Jim!
I have no idea about keeping them but I think I read somewhere that they are supposed to be kept on sand only.

phormingochilus

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Males have a socalled flagellum on the outher surface of the chelicerae. It consist of strongly modified setae, and is quite obvious when knowing what to look out for.

Did you buy these at the EI show in Roskilde - Denmark? I bought two of the small furry ones ;-)

Regards
Søren

423 said:

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
vardoulas said:
Nice arachninds Jim!
I have no idea about keeping them but I think I read somewhere that they are supposed to be kept on sand only.
Hi Nikos, yeah they're the coolest arachnids ever. If your thinking of the fourth picture that was just a box I put it in while I was readying another enclosure with lots of sand :)

phormingochilus said:
Males have a socalled flagellum on the outher surface of the chelicerae. It consist of strongly modified setae, and is quite obvious when knowing what to look out for.

Did you buy these at the EI show in Roskilde - Denmark? I bought two of the small furry ones ;-)

Regards
Søren
Ok, thanks for that info. I don't seem to have any males then.

I was never in Roskilde but I bought these from Stefan Bergström (Phalagorn) , I think he got them there. :)

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
423 said:
Hi Jim,

Like Phormingochilus said, there is a flagellum on the male chelicerae. Also the size and stockiness of the body relative to the legs indicates that they are most likely females, where as males have a lankier build.

Alex S.