Sold to me as Nhandu chromatus but I’m a little confused

Liquifin

Arachnoking
It's N. incei. They are great webbers and a good dwarf T. to have in any collection.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
No way that's a chromatus. Looks more like N. incei...the webbing is a major clue, too.

Clareesi

Arachnopeon
N.incei. Great T but that's definitely not n.chromatus. hopefully the seller makes it right for you.

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
Definitely and incei "olive." You should contact the seller and let them know about the mixup.

smoothie4l

Arachnopeon
Thank you everyone for your super fast responses! The supplier apologized and offered to exchange but said it was probably in my best interest to keep her as they typically fetch a bit more lol
To my understanding their care is very similar any ways I'll just get an N. chromatus when they next expo comes around!
Thank you!

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
To my understanding their care is very similar any ways
I don't have any chromatus, but incei are heavy webbers that also burrow a bit. They also need moist substrate. I don't think any of those apply to chromatus...

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
I don't have any chromatus, but incei are heavy webbers that also burrow a bit. They also need moist substrate. I don't think any of those apply to chromatus...
Chromatus slings will burrow if you give them the substrate and they like slightly moist substrate as well. Only thing is they don't web.

smoothie4l

Arachnopeon
I have her on 2" substrate and a water bowl that I overflow and give a light mist every week. I have some moss mixed in with the substrate to help hold the humidity. I thought to keep N. chromatus in a tropical environment as well but I could be wrong.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Chromatus slings will burrow if you give them the substrate and they like slightly moist substrate as well. Only thing is they don't web.
Thanks! My only Nhandu experience is my tripepii... I should really work on that lol

I have her on 2" substrate and a water bowl that I overflow and give a light mist every week. I have some moss mixed in with the substrate to help hold the humidity. I thought to keep N. chromatus in a tropical environment as well but I could be wrong.
That amount of sub is fine, but I would add some fake foliage atop it for webbing anchors also.

Humidity is not something you measure for Ts, and stuffy conditions can kill them quickly. Just overflow the dish and mist as you do, letting the enclosure dry out some inbetween so it doesn't get swampy.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
It is actually easier than you might think to mix vials up when you are going by the writing on the top. Dealers often don't look inside and the tiny writing on the top is what causes these errors. It happens sometimes, especially at expos when everyone is scrambling and there are over a dozen people at the booth. Mistakes can happen, but it is very rare. Dealers try to make sure everything is set up properly, but with so many people around, lifting things up and maybe not putting them back in the same spot, a vial can be put into the wrong group.
Neoholothele incei is a completely different tarantula to a Nhandu chromatus. Smaller, faster, webs everywhere, and no urticating hairs. Both are considered intermediate species.

Last edited:

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
OP, where did you get the spider from?

It is actually easier than you might think to mix vials up when you are going by the writing on the top. Dealers often don't look inside and the tiny writing on the top is what causes these errors.
Nope, I'm not buying it. If it is WRITTEN on the vial, then just read it. It really isn't that hard.

What I DO see a lot is vials/delis that aren't even labeled... Which I could definitely see being an issue with people moving stuff around at a busy expo.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Nope, I'm not buying it. If it is WRITTEN on the vial, then just read it. It really isn't that hard.

What I DO see a lot is vials/delis that aren't even labeled... Which I could definitely see being an issue with people moving stuff around at a busy expo.
We only have two dealers at the expos and I have dealt with both for years and volunteered for one for over two years. I was never once given a spider where the species was not written on the lid - black marker for vials and usually a label for the larger enclosures.
When I was volunteering, I can't count the number of times that I watched someone pick up a vial, look inside, and put it down in the wrong place.
You buying it or not is not relevant to my statement.

smoothie4l

Arachnopeon

It was a reptile rescue I used to work at that also has a nice store front so I don’t want to call them out lol. Apparently my fellow arachnid collecter that also worked there had quit and I had no idea until after I bought the spider and asked to speak with him. I was told that they get the spiders from tangled in webs and just keep the labels on but who knows. Probably won’t get any more arachnids from them but I’ll still pop in to say hi maybe get some bedding n stuff

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
We only have two dealers at the expos and I have dealt with both for years and volunteered for one for over two years. I was never once given a spider where the species was not written on the lid - black marker for vials and usually a label for the larger enclosures.
When I was volunteering, I can't count the number of times that I watched someone pick up a vial, look inside, and put it down in the wrong place.
You buying it or not is not relevant to my statement.
We have dozens of various vials/delis/things we have brought spiders home in from expos all across California that are NOT labeled. Oftentimes, the little vials or 2oz cups are in a plastic tub that is labeled... but as we both agree that people pick stuff up and set it down in the wrong spot, things get mixed up.

But if there is a correct label, then there is simply no excuse. But, this is coming from someone who numbers and names each sling from each sac and carefully labels and record keeps.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
There was a molt in the container when I brought her home so I don’t think she is in pre molt but I can’t find any n. Chromatus pictures that look like her
Hey you got the better end of the deal if you ask me, think about the other guy that bought the Incei, he is stuck with a N. Chromatus, lol.