Sofulglid @ reptile show

phormingochilus

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Goliath said:
Very nice addition. I have kept a couple different species before. It looks like Eremobates gladiolus from Africa,
Eremobates is a new world genus - and E. gladiolus is not from Africa, but from Canada. The solifugid in the picture is a Galeodes sp.

Cooper said:
We actually have a small species of solfugid here in the Okanagan, I jhave never seen one, but I know several people who have. There is a book called bugs of british columbia, and they are in it, so I guess it is true!
More info on the canadian eremobatid here: http://rbcm1.rbcm.gov.bc.ca/end_species/species/sunscor.html

Søren

protheus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
TheEternal said:
I live in Florida. The ambient humidity here is around 70%+ most of the year. I can't get it any lower than that. Is that a serious problem?
If you want to try lowering it, close the enclosure off more tightly than usual, and tape some of those little packets of silica gell (the kind that come in shoes ;) ) under the lid with double-stick tape. Just a though. :)

Chris

Goliath

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
phormingochilus and Alex S.,

Thank you for catching the correct name (Galeodes sp.) :D , I did not even notice that I grabbed the wrong name from my files. Long days, long nights, not enough sleep, I did not even catch that I had input the wrong name. Thank you though for catching it.

Thanks,
Mike

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
I'm starting to get VERY worried about my little Critter (as I've begun calling it). It's refusing food and water (it never has taken any water) and is getting extremely thin.

Is there anything I can do for it, or is it a lost cause?

For reference: the cage is at room humidity (about 60%), and the temp is around 80F. I have a screen lid on top which is allows MASSIVE ventilation, as well as a fan constant in the same room.

It was eatting 2-3 crickets a day when I first got it, and now I'm lucky if it touches one every four days.

-Bryan

Goliath

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Unfortunately all the species I have kept before start to experience this behavior towards the end of their life. Large specimens are wild caight and if are usually around the end of their life anyways. You could try raising the temperature a couple degrees to see if it becomes more active. You could also try different prey items, see if it wants something new. Otherwise just keep feeding when it will take prey and offer water. I will hope for the best for the little Critter.
Mike

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
Goliath said:
You could also try different prey items, see if it wants something new. Otherwise just keep feeding when it will take prey and offer water. I will hope for the best for the little Critter.
Mike
I've tried roaches, superworms, and a pinkie. No dice :?

If Critter is dying, I understand. I didn't expect it to live too long when I bought it. It's SUCH a neat little beast, though!

-Bryan

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hey Bryan, sadly those are the signs of a solifugid's life coming to an end. It sounds like you had it in a good set-up with good ventilation and a running fan for air movement. You should try preserving the specimen in alcohol or casting resin. Thats what I usually do when one of my arthropod specimens die.

Alex S.

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
Alex S. said:
Hey Bryan, sadly those are the signs of a solifugid's life coming to an end. It sounds like you had it in a good set-up with good ventilation and a running fan for air movement. You should try preserving the specimen in alcohol or casting resin. Thats what I usually do when one of my arthropod specimens die.

Alex S.
I'll certainly consider it :)

Thanks for letting me know what to expect.

-Bryan

kinetikx

Arachnopeon
I bought a Galeodes sp. (most likely G. granti) exactly 13 months ago. It was an adult at the time. The other two that the shop had died within a week of receiving them. Mine is STILL alive, but just barely. I keep it on sand in a large Kritter Ranch (the round Kritter Keeper)

It hasn't eaten for well over 6 months (close to 8 months by now). At first it was as fast as the reports say they should be but it slowly slowed down and is nearly incapacitated at this point. At least for the first few months it was an eating machine and the predatory behavior was amazing to watch. I have considered freezing and preserving it, but it is still hanging on even though its abdomen is getting smaller all the time.
I have posted pictures of it (including handling pictures once it became so slow as to no longer be a threat) at Spidertalk.

The reports of the African species only lasting about a year is by all accounts true, even though they *may* live longer, but they are no longer the animal they should be when they do.

I'm going to be looking for more solifugids at the Daytona show next weekend. I am truly fascinated by them.

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
kinetikx said:
I'm going to be looking for more solifugids at the Daytona show next weekend. I am truly fascinated by them.
It's next weekend? That came up awfully fast on me! What are the details?

-Bryan

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
One year is a long life span for a solifugid. Larger species, such as those of the family Galeodidae, Rhagodidae, Solpugidae, or Daesiidae are the longest lived, while smaller species such as our U.S Eremobatidae or Ammotrechidae are shorter lived, only living maybe 3-4 months at the most.

Alex S.

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Out of the approximately 1000 species of solifugid only one species, Rhagodes nigracinctus of India posses venom glands. It can cause paralysis in small animals such as mice and lizards.

Alex S.