Softening exuvia?

arcane

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've got a nice exuvia from my Smithi last night, but its sort of folded over the important bits. Is there any good way to soften it up so it can be opened up without breaking?

thanks

stu

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sorry to hijack yer thread Arcane but -

I read in the above link about 'stuffing' a exuvia - anyone have more info on this?

I got a couple of nice excuvia from a few of my T's but they have all dried up and fallen apart now - anyway to keep them looking nice?

be interesting to learn how to do this - plus the moults would make pretty cool display pieces.

cheers,

Stu.

LPacker79

ArachnoSpaz
Old Timer
I read in the above link about 'stuffing' a exuvia - anyone have more info on this?
I've never done it, but it seems like it should be pretty easy to do...I'd take a moist, pliable exuvia, then use ripped apart cotton balls to ''stuff'' it, closing it up with some Nu-skin or something like that.
Now all I need is a big enough molt to try it with!

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
I've tried plain water, and water with a tiny drop of dish soap. The dish soap seems to make them MUCH softer.

Navaros

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I was wondering how that was done too.Instead of ripping up cotton balls you could also go to a craft store and buy a bag of fiber fill.The fiber they use to stuff pillows etc.It's like one giant cotton ball in a bag and cheap too.

heyjeyniceid

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I actually did this for the first time 2 days ago.

just used spray bottle with a wee bit of dish soap. I sparyed it then with a few needle nose pliars, worked it back into a recognizable shape. Pretty cool, although, no matter how hard I tried, my three 3 in. regalis exuviums were trashed.