1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SoCal Members!

Discussion in 'Field Trips (Natural Habitats)' started by Bug Boy Wonder, Mar 2, 2017.

1. Advertisement
    I'd like to set up a field trip of sorts for those of us in Southern California.
    It would be fun to do a little day hike with some like minded folk other than my brother and girlfriend lol. There's a spot here in OC area near me that has a good variety of inverts I think some of you would enjoy, plus frogs and salamanders.
    It's a fairly populated trail unfortunately so mid week is usually better than the weekends, I'm also open to other location ideas.
    Once we have a group and location set well setup dates.

• Like Like x 2
  2. chanda

chanda Arachnobaron Active Member

Sounds like fun! I'd be up for that, if I can fit it into my schedule - and make it back to Redlands in time to pick up my kids from school.

3. Yeah, I'd like that! Although I would prefer a less populated place. What kind of inverts specifically? I am looking for centipedes and millipedes. I also have a few decent places around me in the high desert, lots of beetles and insects, along with myriapods and arachnids (I have pictures of a Geophilomorph centipede that was about three inches long and a millipede that I found). Maybe we could also bring a few animals to trade or sell as well.
    Thanks

Attached Files:

4. The spot i was referring to, has millipedes, centipedes, bark scorpions, diabolical ironclad beetles, a number of other beetles and plenty of spiders from trees to the ground. Good combo of desert and forest.

5. I might be wrong but looks like a baby tylobolus millipede.

6. It might be, although I think its a Atopetholidae family millipede. I found it underneath an old tire in a bit of desert near me. But back to the field trip. What kind of millipedes and centipedes specifically? I hope this trip works out, but you may have to find and PM a few other SoCal members and direct them to your thread. I found this thread by chance, as I almost never look in the field trip section of the boards.
    Thanks

7. wetwork

wetwork Arachnopeon Arachnosupporter

I'm down but only available on weekends though.

8. Smokehound714

Smokehound714 Arachnoking Active Member

Socal
    That millipede is likely Atopetholus angelus. widespread in coastal scrub habitat.

The only Tylobolus species present in LA and OC county is Tylobolus claremontus, which has vivid red bands and only found around oaks and sycamores

Hiltonius is similar but shorter and thicker- two species are found in socal- Hebes and Pulchrus.

Hebes is chocolate brown or olive, with dull reddish bands, Pulchrus is olive green with bright red or orange bands.

9. Thanks! Now I know what species (maybe) live near me! I appreciate your help.