So, when I go out of town......

Phases

Arachnoknight
We'll be heading out of town for about a week, in 10 days. I am HOPING I can get away with not getting someone to care for the Ts, mostly because I would need to move them out of the room they are in for that to happen and I'm not sure I want to disturb either of them. Or, give my teenager the key to it.

The room stays around 79-82 degrees. I am thinking if I offer food just before we leave, ensure a little overflow with the water bowl, mist, and turn temps down to 76 or so, maybe they'll be okay for 8 or so days?

I'm not sure I want to risk it, but I have no idea. What do all of you think?

C. Versicolor 5.5" female and LP 5.5" unsexed, who spends his time under 4 inches of sub..

Any advice would be good. Appreciate you all,

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Sounds fine.
Planning on a week long trip soon myself. Not worried in the least. Overflow the dishes and feed some of the smallest ones and I'm good to go.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
That should do it. I've left mine alone for 7-10 days before easy and I had slings. You should be fine with them at that size.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
They should be just fine, a week really isn't all that long to leave a T. I would ensure that all water bowls have been well filled and maybe feed all the spiders the day before you go.

Phases

Arachnoknight
Just real quick. I am going out of town for nine days. I have:

1. Juvi Brachypelma smithi (Mexican Red Knee) in pre-molt.
2. 1.5" Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens (Greenbottle Blue) sling (have been told he'd be fine, and he just ate a dubia roach, the whole dern thing nearly, that was nearly his size).
3. Sub-Adult (5 inches or so) Lasiodora parahybana (Brazilian Salmon Pink).
4. Adult Cyclocosmia Truncata (Ravine Trapdoor).
5. Adult Caribena Versicolor (Antilles Pink Toe).

The room will be ~77-81. Average humidity.

Other than a full water bowl, should I do anything further for any of these? Mist, mist a lot, overflow the bowl? Thinking about leaving some food in slick glass bowls (mealworms etc), they can't get out, for the salmon pink and pink toe.. maybe even my pre-molt guy he may come out hungry, but I'm nervous to leave anything alive in there with him.

Ideas or thoughts?

korg

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Your tarantulas will be 100% fine. It's not at all uncommon for people to leave their spiders completely alone for a week or two even when they're at home... as others have said, just feed them before you go if possible and dampen the substrate a bit/provide water bowls if needed. They could probably easily go a month without any "help" from a keeper!

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
I left a 1/4 inch sling at home when i went to florida for a week just recently. You'll definitely be fine so long as youve fed (if theyll take it) and watered before you leave. Definitely dont leave a live prey item in with a pre-molt T, as the t may get munched. Glass bowl or not, Jurassic Park taught me that nature (artificial or not) will find a way.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Just real quick. I am going out of town for nine days. I have:

1. Juvi Brachypelma smithi (Mexican Red Knee) in pre-molt.
2. 1.5" Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens (Greenbottle Blue) sling (have been told he'd be fine, and he just ate a dubia roach, the whole dern thing nearly, that was nearly his size).
3. Sub-Adult (5 inches or so) Lasiodora parahybana (Brazilian Salmon Pink).
4. Adult Cyclocosmia Truncata (Ravine Trapdoor).
5. Adult Caribena Versicolor (Antilles Pink Toe).

The room will be ~77-81. Average humidity.

Other than a full water bowl, should I do anything further for any of these? Mist, mist a lot, overflow the bowl? Thinking about leaving some food in slick glass bowls (mealworms etc), they can't get out, for the salmon pink and pink toe.. maybe even my pre-molt guy he may come out hungry, but I'm nervous to leave anything alive in there with him.

Ideas or thoughts?
At those sizes leave them water and you'll be fine.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Glass bowl or not, Jurassic Park taught me that nature (artificial or not) will find a way.
Tell that to all 99% (over 5 billion) of all species that are now extinct. Evolution kills and statistically it's not looking very promising for us. :p

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
People worry about 10 days? o_O It wouldn't even be a thought for me. Water and feed the day before you leave, that's all.

gypsy cola

Arachnoknight
Please double check that all of your cages are in good condition. Also make sure that water bowls are clear from debris.

I recently lost my A.genic. Turns out the cage was cracked on the bottom. All of the water from water bowl was draining out from the cage. it was about 10 days. All my other T's were fine.

GreyPsyche

Arachnosquire
I wouldn't even be concerned about 10 days...I leave mine alone for that sometimes when I'm here. Also, mine are slings. I wouldn't even think about it, honestly. The only time I'd be concerned in this case would be in winter when it gets cold and if the power could go out or leaving the space heater on or something for so long and unattended, now that's a concern.

Phases

Arachnoknight
Thanks guys!

And yes, people get concerned about ten days when new to the hobby, have slings and pre-molts, and keep living things caged up with no one but us to rely on ensuring they have what they need :)

Phases

Arachnoknight
Thanks! Very eager to see what if any changes there may be on my return :D