So..what am I in for? P. pulcher bite

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
11:10pm

Yep. My first spider bite. P. pulcher, was changin cages, distracted by the cute bunny, bam..

so its like a wasp sting, and my left ring finger is swollen, and it pulses like it burns, but otherwise not too bad. Not sure if the aching pain in my elbow means anything.

updates
edit: oh the elbow thing might have something to do with the bite, the arm is turning quite a deep splotchy pink color like a swollen finger.

--20 minutes later im splotchy red up to the shoulder.

--12:00am feeling less pain already, no more hard pulses in my finger, redness of the arm reducing, i can now extend my finger and even feel the swelling reduce.

that was quick.

---11:15am still some stiffnes in the finger, between knuckles of the ring finger and middle finger hurt when i open and close my hand, but its not horrible.

Any experience with you guys?

Are the other kids in the genus similar?

I applied lavender oil, eased the swelling right away, and topped it with some ice.

Last edited:

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
How big of a spider is it? How long did it sink its fangs into you ? Anymore details ? I've never been bit so I can't offer much advice, but I'm curious about any other symptoms you may have.

Later, Tom

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
How big of a spider is it? How long did it sink its fangs into you ? Anymore details ? I've never been bit so I can't offer much advice, but I'm curious about any other symptoms you may have.

Later, Tom
Shes about 3 1/2 inches, maybe almost 4", about 2 seconds or 3, um.. i was giving her a new house, but she argued with me.

Im morbidly curious as well.

my spiders never biting me career is over :(

bchbum11

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi Crysta,

Please post this in the bite report forums if you haven't already. Not trying to be a forum nazi, but a year from now when people are looking for the effects of a bite from the species they are a lot more likely to find it there than here. I've been curious about the effects of a bite from the Psalmopoeus genus for awhile. I've read several remarks about how their venom fairly potent, but there are no bite reports to back that up. In fact, for a genus that is by and large considered to be fairly defensive, there are really not many bite reports at all. Thanks for the post, very informative!

Brandon

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi Crysta,

Please post this in the bite report forums if you haven't already. Not trying to be a forum nazi, but a year from now when people are looking for the effects of a bite from the species they are a lot more likely to find it there than here. I've been curious about the effects of a bite from the Psalmopoeus genus for awhile. I've read several remarks about how their venom fairly potent, but there are no bite reports to back that up. In fact, for a genus that is by and large considered to be fairly defensive, there are really not many bite reports at all. Thanks for the post, very informative!

Brandon
Yeah, just a little stiffness left now. Which is pretty cool. I will post it in the morning if I experience any residual effects.

I was pretty surprised there was no bite reports on them, quite interesting. I think I class it as a little worse than a wasp sting?

But yeah, usually their defensiveness isn't a lie and they will strike, so even with my P. cambridgei I don't play wit her when she's being like that.

I just wasn't paying close enough attention, bunny distractions will be minimal next time.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
usually their defensiveness isn't a lie and they will strike, so even with my P. cambridgei I don't play wit her when she's being like that.

I just wasn't paying close enough attention, bunny distractions will be minimal next time.
Lesson learned. You can't be distracted when working with spiders, and the faster and more defensive they are, the more you need to focus and be prepared for the unexpected. When you consider the liberties that are taken with some spiders, and indignities inflicted on them, I'm surprised more owners aren't bitten.

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Lesson learned. You can't be distracted when working with spiders, and the faster and more defensive they are, the more you need to focus and be prepared for the unexpected. When you consider the liberties that are taken with some spiders, and indignities inflicted on them, I'm surprised more owners aren't bitten.
Yep yep, I am usually pretty good considering i've kept tarantulas since I was 14. I do handle all my spiders though.

web eviction

Arachnolord
Haha I had my pulcher on my hand a couple days ago in full threat display lol it was a very long ten minute wait....
I once had my (then) 9 inch T. stirmi grab my finger sink her fangs in and hold for about 15 seconds! She was determined to have my finger for breakfast!! I seriously had to remove her fangs with a skewer and she was still holding tight with her legs! All this happened 10 minutes before I left for work....

Curious jay

Arachnodemon
Haha I had my pulcher on my hand a couple days ago in full threat display lol it was a very long ten minute wait....
I once had my (then) 9 inch T. stirmi grab my finger sink her fangs in and hold for about 15 seconds! She was determined to have my finger for breakfast!! I seriously had to remove her fangs with a skewer and she was still holding tight with her legs! All this happened 10 minutes before I left for work....
Just outta curiosity... What effects did you experience from the bite, do you have any pictures of the damage from the penetration? I imagine the T a nice set on her capable of some damage lol.

web eviction

Arachnolord
Pains in the bite, hand swelled up good little nausea and I had a splitting headache for about 8 hours... Lol I wish I had taken pictures but it was the last thing on my mind and the swelling had almost completely gone away by the time I finished a 16 hour shift, though I do still have a lump where she got me lol it's not huge but it's a nice little reminder that tongs are safer then fingers ;)