So, uh, how often do T's poop, anyway?

Bugmom

Arachnolord
After reading the impaction threads of late, it occurred to me that I don't think I've seen my T poop since a week after I got her. She's ate and drank just fine, is active, and has a big but not overly-large butt. She seems quite healthy. I'm not too worried (unless I should be and don't know it...)

So how often do tarantulas poop, on average?

le-thomas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I honestly have no idea, but not often. It could be more often than I realize, but they would have to be pooping in their hides for that to be the case. I suppose it depends on how much they're being fed and, possibly, the temperature that they're kept at.

Aviara

Arachnoknight
I can't give a solid answer to this question, because feces can be hard to find in the cage, and I'm just going off of my experience with my adult Grammostola rosea. All my other tarantulas are slings, and either mostly defecate in their burrows or just haven't been with me long enough for me to have an idea. Anyway, with my G. rosea, I believe she defecates around once a week, maybe twice. It's hard to say, because I can only judge based on the feces I find in the cage, and there may be more hidden/buried/etc. I feed her an adult cricket once a week and she is kept at room temperature, but if these variables were changed that could effect metabolism and amount/frequency of defecation.

Bugmom

Arachnolord
Hmm. Mine is fed weekly, hasn't made a burrow, and I haven't seen any feces (doesn't mean there hasn't been any). I've had her since mid-May.

Vespula

Arachnodemon
I rarely see mine do it, but I know they do.

I did get to see my A. chalcodes poo first hand, in my hand. During a presentation to around 20 people.

SuperMommy

Arachnopeon
My new G. rosea was chilling on my hand for about an hour the other night, and then she pooped on me! Kinda gross but really funny too...

Legion09

Arachnoknight
Mine (G. rosea) tends to poo roughly 12-24 hours after being fed. She finds the same spot she put the bolus and poos right there. I try to keep daytime temps in the high 70's to 80ish, night time temp is between 72-74. She is roughly 4.5 inches DLS.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
^ sounds like your girl is "regular" Legion lol

Catching a t poo is a task, its more like coincidence for me.. I can ALMOST garauntee that my 3 B albo will poo within minutes of cleaning and refilling their waterdishes.. they LOVE creating more work for me..
Every time i give them fresh water dishes they poo in them

all my other ts tend to poo at night.. far as how often, i cant say.. its just on the walls when i look in on them.

Apparently one of my P. ornata like to poo as soon as theyre done mating http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYid_BeFey4&feature=player_embedded lol

Scoolman

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Very god question. i always figured since they had such slow metabolisms that they would evacuate their bowels a short time after each feeding. So, how often they "go" depends on how often the eat. I have no idea if this is correct but, for me, it was something to work from.

PrettyHate

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Very god question. i always figured since they had such slow metabolisms that they would evacuate their bowels a short time after each feeding. So, how often they "go" depends on how often the eat. I have no idea if this is correct but, for me, it was something to work from.
If something had a slow metabolism I think that would mean it takes LONGER between feeding till when the food is actually processed and ready to be released from the body. I am just basing this off my bird...birds tend to have a fast metabolism so they need to eat frequently and therefore poop frequently (every 10-15 min or so for a Lovebird)