1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So, turns out sand spiders are the most venomous?

Discussion in 'True Spiders & Other Arachnids' started by LurkingUnderground, Jul 10, 2018.

1. LurkingUnderground

LurkingUnderground Arachnosquire Active Member

Advertisement
    The spiders of this genus (along with the recluse spiders) have potent tissue-destroying venoms containing the dermonecrotic agent, sphingomyelinase D, which is otherwise found only in a few pathogenic bacteria. This venom is highly necrotic in effect, capable of causing lesions (open sores) as large as 2.5 cm in diameter. The genus Sicarius may have more toxic venom than Loxosceles (particularly the African species), based on laboratory experiments with rabbits. Sicariids are found in barren deserts and are able to bury themselves partially in the sand. Because of this, humans seldom come in contact with them. The females produce egg sacs covered with a mixture of sand and silk. The genus is considered to be a living fossil in that it is both quite primitive and distributed in parts of the former Gondwanaland, the huge southern continent that separated during the Mesozoic.

A U.S. patent (number 6,998,389) has been awarded for a means for using Sicariidaevenom as a treatment for cancer.

The spider you mentioned is milked for That property and is used to improve the blue pill. We all know the one.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2018 at 8:58 PM
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  2. NYAN

NYAN Arachnodemon Active Member

CA
    To treat erectile dysfunction you mean?

3. LurkingUnderground

The other user was worried about saying it. Yes. The spider that causes a painful erection in males is being used to help ED with the synthesis of the venom.

4. NYAN

CA
    Indeed, I am well aware.

5. Smokehound714

Smokehound714 Arachnoking Active Member

Socal
    i heard the issues of priapism were bunk and just part of sensationalism.

6. LurkingUnderground

I am not sure about that.

7. pannaking22

pannaking22 Arachnoking Active Member

Worth noting I think that it's not all that fair to compare one venom type to another. Hemo vs neuro use completely different pathways to complete the job, therefore treatment methods are worlds apart. Seems that modern medicine has a good grasp on dealing with neurotoxins, but not so much the hemotoxins (@The Snark, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not in the medical field).

There's also a significant difference between most venomous and most deadly (debatably being the same if you're the person that just got bitten/stung), but it looks like that was discussed earlier. Those kinds of numbers are a pain to track down though. It makes for a fun question to ask people though when I do outreach and say that I keep spiders/scorpions/etc. I like to ask the crowd which is worse, something that rarely bites but frequently results in death vs something that frequently bites but rarely results in death. Makes people look at things in a new light. The experiment gets more interesting when you start throwing common names out there, because that definitely influences them (i.e. mention deathstalker and that automatically gets all the votes).

• Like Like x 3
  8. pannaking22

pannaking22 Arachnoking Active Member

(sorry for the rambling second paragraph, the coffee hasn't kicked in yet)

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. The Snark

The Snark هرج و مرج مهندس Old Timer

Generally speaking, hematotoxins target internal organs, capable of shutting down or destroying them very rapidly. Such damage is usually non reversible. Neurotoxic effects can be countered by artificial life support as long as the circulatory system isn't compromised.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Wolfspidurguy

Wolfspidurguy Arachnobaron

I think we could fairly compare the venoms if we recrute like 10 peeople to get bitten once by both spiders
    What makes this even better is theres no antidote for the bite

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. MintyWood826

MintyWood826 Arachnopeon Active Member

Earth
    Help needed in science experiment!

We need people to be bitten by highly venomous spiders in the name of science!

Become a human guinea pig like you've always wanted!

Help out science and all humans!

Experience the dark side of spiders!

And it's a mystery result! Either be a survivor or die in a unique way!

*May cause organ failure, permanant bodily damage, extreme pain, death, and other things but we want to keep the fine print short

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018 at 12:27 AM
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. The Snark

People tend to think an antidote somehow neutralizes a toxin. This is very rarely the case. Antidotes trigger immune system responses. The toxins remain in the body doing continuous damage until the kidneys are able to remove them. Dialysis can temporarily do the job of the kidneys but of course has no effect removing toxins that have bound to cell structures.

And for your mind bogglingness. The treatment for the ingestion of methyl alcohol is ethyl alcohol, 1 liter IV push. If that doesn't cure a person of the desire to get drunk, they're hopeless.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. StampFan

StampFan Arachnoknight Active Member

Calgary
    Neither one of those sounds like a particularly fun option. I think I'll buy another Aphonopelma…..

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. The Snark

Or just do like I have resolved to do. If I can't handle or cajole it on the end of a 3 foot strong bamboo snake hook, the heck with it. So far it's worked for dogs, Ts, people, ordinary spiders, wasps, bees, toads and even snakes. Note that excludes adult O Hannah, heftier pythons and monkeys.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  15. schmiggle

schmiggle Arachnoprince Active Member

How has that gone for people? I tend to find that this method makes them a little feisty.

• Funny Funny x 3
  16. NYAN

CA
    The both of your ideas have inspired me to make a people hook for nasty venomous humans!

• Funny Funny x 3
  17. LurkingUnderground

I like how this thread is going. It has been keeping me entertained.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. MintyWood826

MintyWood826 Arachnopeon Active Member

Earth
    I'm gonna get one of those hooks and go peopleing! ...or whatever the correct term for fishing for humans would be

19. NYAN

CA
    I know of people watching. Park next to a 7/11 or something and watch the long pigs.

20. The Snark

It's the casual stance of person that isn't quite facing you with the general mien of a cross between a professional psychotic and a rattlesnake, eyes forever hidden behind shades, a slight sardonic 'shall we dance?' smile and a WTF stick with a hefty metal hook on one end.

• Funny Funny x 2