So, turns out sand spiders are the most venomous?

LurkingUnderground

Arachnosquire
The spiders of this genus (along with the recluse spiders) have potent tissue-destroying venoms containing the dermonecrotic agent, sphingomyelinase D, which is otherwise found only in a few pathogenic bacteria. This venom is highly necrotic in effect, capable of causing lesions (open sores) as large as 2.5 cm in diameter. The genus Sicarius may have more toxic venom than Loxosceles (particularly the African species), based on laboratory experiments with rabbits. Sicariids are found in barren deserts and are able to bury themselves partially in the sand. Because of this, humans seldom come in contact with them. The females produce egg sacs covered with a mixture of sand and silk. The genus is considered to be a living fossil in that it is both quite primitive and distributed in parts of the former Gondwanaland, the huge southern continent that separated during the Mesozoic.

A U.S. patent (number 6,998,389) has been awarded for a means for using Sicariidaevenom as a treatment for cancer.

In my opinion the worst bite would be something slow and painful bonus points if it leaves your body with irreparable damage (like a neurotoxin would do if given enough time) but the Phoneutria feras bonus symptom that i cant say here for fear of my account getting quickscoped from across the map is enough to make its bite my actual worst fear
The spider you mentioned is milked for That property and is used to improve the blue pill. We all know the one.

Last edited by a moderator:

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Worth noting I think that it's not all that fair to compare one venom type to another. Hemo vs neuro use completely different pathways to complete the job, therefore treatment methods are worlds apart. Seems that modern medicine has a good grasp on dealing with neurotoxins, but not so much the hemotoxins (@The Snark, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not in the medical field).

There's also a significant difference between most venomous and most deadly (debatably being the same if you're the person that just got bitten/stung), but it looks like that was discussed earlier. Those kinds of numbers are a pain to track down though. It makes for a fun question to ask people though when I do outreach and say that I keep spiders/scorpions/etc. I like to ask the crowd which is worse, something that rarely bites but frequently results in death vs something that frequently bites but rarely results in death. Makes people look at things in a new light. The experiment gets more interesting when you start throwing common names out there, because that definitely influences them (i.e. mention deathstalker and that automatically gets all the votes).

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Seems that modern medicine has a good grasp on dealing with neurotoxins, but not so much the hemotoxins
Generally speaking, hematotoxins target internal organs, capable of shutting down or destroying them very rapidly. Such damage is usually non reversible. Neurotoxic effects can be countered by artificial life support as long as the circulatory system isn't compromised.

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
Worth noting I think that it's not all that fair to compare one venom type to another. Hemo vs neuro use completely different pathways to complete the job, therefore treatment methods are worlds apart. Seems that modern medicine has a good grasp on dealing with neurotoxins, but not so much the hemotoxins (@The Snark, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not in the medical field).

There's also a significant difference between most venomous and most deadly (debatably being the same if you're the person that just got bitten/stung), but it looks like that was discussed earlier. Those kinds of numbers are a pain to track down though. It makes for a fun question to ask people though when I do outreach and say that I keep spiders/scorpions/etc. I like to ask the crowd which is worse, something that rarely bites but frequently results in death vs something that frequently bites but rarely results in death. Makes people look at things in a new light. The experiment gets more interesting when you start throwing common names out there, because that definitely influences them (i.e. mention deathstalker and that automatically gets all the votes).
I think we could fairly compare the venoms if we recrute like 10 peeople to get bitten once by both spiders
Generally speaking, hematotoxins target internal organs, capable of shutting down or destroying them very rapidly. Such damage is usually non reversible. Neurotoxic effects can be countered by artificial life support as long as the circulatory system isn't compromised.
What makes this even better is theres no antidote for the bite

MintyWood826

Arachnobaron
I think we could fairly compare the venoms if we recrute like 10 peeople to get bitten once by both spiders

Help needed in science experiment!

We need people to be bitten by highly venomous spiders in the name of science!

Become a human guinea pig like you've always wanted!

Help out science and all humans!

Experience the dark side of spiders!

And it's a mystery result! Either be a survivor or die in a unique way!

*May cause organ failure, permanant bodily damage, extreme pain, death, and other things but we want to keep the fine print short

Last edited:

The Snark

Old Timer
People tend to think an antidote somehow neutralizes a toxin. This is very rarely the case. Antidotes trigger immune system responses. The toxins remain in the body doing continuous damage until the kidneys are able to remove them. Dialysis can temporarily do the job of the kidneys but of course has no effect removing toxins that have bound to cell structures.

And for your mind bogglingness. The treatment for the ingestion of methyl alcohol is ethyl alcohol, 1 liter IV push. If that doesn't cure a person of the desire to get drunk, they're hopeless.

StampFan

Arachnodemon
Neither one of those sounds like a particularly fun option. I think I'll buy another Aphonopelma…..

The Snark

Old Timer
Neither one of those sounds like a particularly fun option. I think I'll buy another Aphonopelma…..
Or just do like I have resolved to do. If I can't handle or cajole it on the end of a 3 foot strong bamboo snake hook, the heck with it. So far it's worked for dogs, Ts, people, ordinary spiders, wasps, bees, toads and even snakes. Note that excludes adult O Hannah, heftier pythons and monkeys.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
Or just do like I have resolved to do. If I can't handle or cajole it on the end of a 3 foot strong bamboo snake hook, the heck with it. So far it's worked for dogs, Ts, people, ordinary spiders, wasps, bees, toads and even snakes. Note that excludes adult O Hannah, heftier pythons and monkeys.
How has that gone for people? I tend to find that this method makes them a little feisty.

NYAN

Arachnoking
The both of your ideas have inspired me to make a people hook for nasty venomous humans!

MintyWood826

Arachnobaron
The both of your ideas have inspired me to make a people hook for nasty venomous humans!
I'm gonna get one of those hooks and go peopleing! ...or whatever the correct term for fishing for humans would be

The Snark

Old Timer
How has that gone for people? I tend to find that this method makes them a little feisty.
It's the casual stance of person that isn't quite facing you with the general mien of a cross between a professional psychotic and a rattlesnake, eyes forever hidden behind shades, a slight sardonic 'shall we dance?' smile and a WTF stick with a hefty metal hook on one end.