So they're cousions, what about...

iEatRazorz

Arachnopeon
So this has been on my mind since I ordered my not so toilet shy sling...

I did some reading of older threads on here and I intend to do some googlizing on it, but have been lead to believe all our spiders are related. One hell of a family reunion, wouldn't you say? Imagine all the poo slinging at the Versi gathering...

What I'm curious about is this. Are people breeding for size, color, temperament or life span? Selective breeding has never really fascinated me, but is with tarantulas. Is there a general opinion on this? Are any of you on here practicing it? I'm not asking about hybrids, I think muddying the water with that would be a generally bad idea.

Thank you for indulging my curiosity in advanced :)

gypsy cola

Arachnoknight
There is some level of selective breeding. I wouldn't call it selective breeding. It is about avoiding hybrids with similar looking species.

Brachypelma vagans and A.genic are good examples. B.vagans looks incredibly similar to other red rumps. There is some debate about whether or not hobby form are hyrbids.

It also to believed that there are few variations of A.genic. A.broc was recently classified as A.genic but, breeders will still keep them separate.

A.chalcodes has a few variants as well.

cold blood

Staff member
youve been misled....all ts in the hobby arent related...Cross breeding, or hybridization is strongly frowned upon and is only done by irrisponsible breeders.

People breed ts of the same species, ive never heard of much selective breeding....usually breeders use what MMs they can acquire....most of us dont have enough MMs available to be selecting specific individuals....on top of that, most species dont have enough variation...ie, they all look pretty much the same.

cold blood

Staff member
There are some species where the original numbers introduced to the hobby were very limited may see the resulting offspring down the line to in fact all be related....but thats a product of lack of the availability to acquire wild caught specimens, not intent on the breeders part.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Selective breeding would imply it's being done within a single species, breeding hybrids is not selective breeding.

Basically it's the practice of choosing to breed specimens that share certain characteristics, for example larger/smaller mature size.

It has been done with mammals for many years. The results are pretty shocking, if you look at the variation within dogs(breeds) you can get an idea just how effective this practice can be.

I haven't ever heard of this being attempted with Theraphosids. I think it would be very interesting to see if it could be done, and how drastic the changes would be.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Are people breeding for size, color, temperament or life span
I haven't heard of anyone doing this for those traits. I'd be surprised if someone did for TONS of reasons. I could see someone trying for color, but not the others.

breeding hybrids is not selective breeding.
I'm breeding FrankenTs, I'm selecting which ones I want, darn it, not doing things randomly on the fly! :troll:

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I saw someone selling versicolor slings, claiming they had 'selective bred' versicolor for many years making theirs the most colorful and long lived. They posted the ad on many groups on FB.

He got torn apart. Nobody had even heard of him.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I saw someone selling versicolor slings, claiming they had 'selective bred' versicolor for many years making theirs the most colorful and long lived. They posted the ad on many groups on FB.

He got torn apart. Nobody had even heard of him.
Well it's on the internet, so it has to be true.

spotropaicsav

Arachnobaron
Well I guess I'm slow on this thread, but I have been trying to figure out "cousions" ALL day and how to pronounce it:D:p

iEatRazorz

Arachnopeon
Well I guess I'm slow on this thread, but I have been trying to figure out "cousions" ALL day and how to pronounce it:D:p
Well I completely missed that when proof reading. Lol. Is there a way to edit the thread title? I don't see one readily available.