So the hobby is addictive?

How long did you wait before getting your second T?

• I bought more than one tarantula to begin with.

Votes: 30 24.8%
  • Less than a week.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Less than a month.

Votes: 41 33.9%
  • Less than 3 months.

Votes: 16 13.2%
  • Less than 6 months.

Votes: 7 5.8%
  • Less than a year.

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • More than a year.

Votes: 15 12.4%

• Total voters

Mushroom

Arachnopeon
That hobby IS indeed addictive and does some long-term effects to your body. If I was to compare it to a drug, LSD is the thing as it can give you a "flashback" even 12 years later.
12 years! That's how long I had to wait until I could get back to business again. In the meantime, my mom would proudly represent my family in the T-keeping hobby. Our B. smithi, now hamorii lived with us for 18 years (our little girl passed by the end of 2017). That was a big chunk of my childhood/teenage years :D. Sometimes I would laugh that she was older, that some of my students, lol.
12 years ago I started travelling, getting myself educated, moved A LOT. All that wasn't really aligned with any hobby where any kind of long-term involvement is required. As soon as I hit the "stable" point in my life I immediately got A. geniculata, C. versicolor and C. darlingi. And that's just for starters.

It seems that the drug withdrawal/rehab didn't work. It's just one of these many little things that combined together make me feel somewhat complete. Good feeling.

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
So I'm new to the hobby and just curious how much the 'you can't just have one' thing seems to hold true. Right now I've only got one.... and yet I snagged a second tank claiming it would be a good 'backup' container in case anything happened to my main cage.

Yet I can't stop thinking about how well another T would do in it... I've already got the substrate....

I've only had my first T for two days.
oh that rule is true even if you tell yourself you only want just one. for me it started with "i want just one wolf spider" then i was like "well theres a common house spider " then one year later and i have 2 tarantulas 1 scorpion 1 centipede and i don't feel like counting my true spiders rn. long story short yeah you can never just have one

Nikolas

Arachnopeon
Ohhh VERYYY Addictive, i own 3 Tarantulas and the only that keep me not take more species is my wife :banghead: ....... in the other hand i'm very lucky she accept the 3...

PurelyRavage

Arachnopeon
When I got my first 2 slings which were a P. Machalla and a D. diamantinanis I got them to overcome my fear of spiders. Within a week or two and watching numerous YouTube videos I wanted more. I want to learn to breed these beauties one day. Now almost 2 and a half months later my collection has grown to over 50 slings. I'm excited to see how this journey goes and hopefully some babies in the future :embarrassed:

Nicodemus

Arachnopeon
I can definitely agree with everyone that this hobby is highly addicting. I have a very similar story to most all of you, starting with one sling.. A little B. Hamorii that I kept for a few months all the while watching loads of YouTube videos and just overall gaining a massive fascination with vast amount of beautiful species. In less than half a year I already am up to 9 different T's with a never-ending list of new ones I would absolutely love to have. :)

Razzledazzy

Arachnosquire
To be honest I made this thread months ago and have still yet to acquire a second T... but now there's a reptile expo coming up this weekend. I've got my heart pretty set on a b. emilia or a b. auratum... or maybe a cute new world arboreal.

Though in the months since making this thread I did read TKGv3 and it's accompanying errata and feel a lot more prepared to take on new friends than I did two days after first getting my queen.

Dovey

Arachnobaron
My dear, in the Fish World they call it MTS: multiple tank syndrome. You cannot spit in any direction without hitting a glass tank in my bedroom. The only question is "does its resident possess a spine or an exoskeleton?"

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Ohhh VERYYY Addictive, i own 3 Tarantulas and the only that keep me not take more species is my wife :banghead: ....... in the other hand i'm very lucky she accept the 3...
With amount of Ts I have 30+ I’m Going to have a hard time not being single. Maybe find someone who likes pets haha. need a job first , worse economy ever in my state no jobs.:greedy::sorry:been looking for years!!!

Razzledazzy

Arachnosquire
With amount of Ts I have 30+ I’m Going to have a hard time not being single. Maybe find someone who likes pets haha. need a job first , worse economy ever in my state no jobs.:greedy::sorry:been looking for years!!!
At least tarantulas are pretty cheap dates. Crickets don't cost too much. :greedy:

Dovey

Arachnobaron
Don't feel bad. We have the best economy in decades here in Arizona, yet I'm out of a job too! Our entire unemployment is like me and a guy living under a bridge down in Tucson. That's it!

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Don't feel bad. We have the best economy in decades here in Arizona, yet I'm out of a job too! Our entire unemployment is like me and a guy living under a bridge down in Tucson. That's it!
My dad Blaims me not the mega corporations that shipped all the middle class jobs to foreigners haha. Leaving low paying jobs here for USA citizens who have higher cost of living the ln Luxembourg.

Teejrocks

Arachnopeon
Wife and I had been watching you tube feeding videos a la Exotics Lair, and the topic of maybe getting one came up...

Researched for a few weeks...

Last Friday: Took daughter to favorite LFS that occasionally has Ts in their exotics section and brought home a ~1" B. Boehemi as a surprise for above wife...

Saturday around midnight: Cruising Kijiji (online classifieds) for aquariums for cheap and stumble on a ~5 year old female G. Rosea with in an almost mint 24x18x12 Exo-terra for $100 about an hour away, send message

Sunday: Beautiful drive in my Veloster with a new impressive pet rock in a ridiculously oversized exo-terra reeking of grasshopper corpses & excrement, with with huge smile...

Earlier today: above daughter (6) wants one too... hmm...

Western Canada Reptile Expo in Red Deer in my near future.

The danger is real!

lostbrane

Arachnobaron
My experience was a bit tapered. I got a G. porteri as my first t about ten years ago. About a year later, I got a L. klugi, and then a B. boehmi once the G. poteri died. Left for school, and my parents weren't going to take care of them so I had to give those two up. Fast forward to April of this year, L. parahybana sling, and then fast forward today and I have a total of 7, looking into more. So yeah, I would say addictive heh. It's a bit of a running joke at work now (pretty much get asked what I picked up every other day now).

Bree24

Arachnosquire
I wanted a G. Porteri sub-adult. I ended up with 6 slings, 4 different species. ;)