So...that's one more order messed up.

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Two days ago, I received two new pedes: a black E. rubripes, and a banded E. rubripes of a slightly different colour compared to Azog. However, as I was unsure as to whether Mum would let me keep them here (she revealed now, after getting rather shocked that my YT channel had over 40 subs, that she would've been all for it), I had them sent to Dad's address. Anyway, the night they arrived, he let the black one escape. It turns out that he just sat the lid on top of the enclosure without locking it shut, and the pede pushed its way out. When he called to tell me, I was understanding, knowing that even experienced hobbyists make mistakes, but I will confess that deep down that I was fuming. Those black E. rubripes are so rare that practically no keepers in Australia know they exist, and for about six hours, I had one (though I never saw it in person). Anyway, the banded one is still okay, and is apparently nearly as big as Azog, though I have yet to see it in person.

On the plus side, Mum is now willing to have more inverts over here. She didn't specify how many, but as she's going to be getting a shelf for them, I presume that she's expecting a fair few. That means I can now get subsequent orders sent straight over here, and I can set them up properly from the get-go. Strangely, Dad was affronted by this decision. He said he couldn't understand why I wouldn't want them sent to his place first. I simply said "convenience", but didn't bother reminding him that another reason would be the fact that the last two orders that have been sent to his place have together resulted in two dead pedes plus an escapee. I was polite about it, but it's quite obvious to me that Dad perceives me as the "nagging wife who needs to be kept happy".

Anyway, here is a pic of the banded E. rubripes, sent by the seller, that I'll probably be seeing in a couple of weeks.
DarkTigerRubripes.jpg
And here is the black one that I unfortunately will never get to see in person:
BlackRubripes.jpg

I'm in contact with the seller, and have asked for a pair of black E. rubripes, perhaps with a blue-legged E. rubripes added to the mix as well. However, he hasn't replied yet, and according to his previous customers, he sometimes goes on invert hunting trips for days in areas where there is no reception. I guess I'll just have to be patient.

Salvador

Arachnosquire
Bit of a shame, looks to be a very nice variant ( those legs! ), what's the size for those? I think you've mentioned the banded in particular are a big one.

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
I'm not sure. The seller said the black one was about 15cm, which he labeled as "medium". Owing to the length of the terminals in proportion to body size, I'd venture to say that the black ones get quite large. Generally, the E. rubripes that have long terminal legs in proportion to their bodies achieve a greater size.

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
Well that's a shame. At least 1/2 are still contained. Hopefully, the next order will go more smoothly. How many centipedes do you have in total?

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Errgghh...I've been trying to contact te seller again but he won't respond. I can only hope he hasn't gone on holiday (they start in a week).
Furthermore, Dad let another pede escape: the medium E. rubripes that was the sole survivor of my last order. Yet, he still can't fathom why I want to get all the pedes over here from now on.

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
Errgghh...I've been trying to contact te seller again but he won't respond. I can only hope he hasn't gone on holiday (they start in a week).
Furthermore, Dad let another pede escape: the medium E. rubripes that was the sole survivor of my last order. Yet, he still can't fathom why I want to get all the pedes over here from now on.
I hope he's paying you back for all these mistakes. One time is unfortunate, now it's just ridiculous.

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
He's blaming it on the boxes. I don't get how that works, as they both escaped because he only locked one end.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
If it was me. I wouldn't give a crap what mum thought. That creatures coming to me asap for the best care I can give it. She doesn't like it, shame. Better to ask for forgiveness than permission.

You're already allowed to keep them in the first place, so what's a couple more?

I think you made a big mistake sending all these pedes to your dad. :banghead::banghead:

I could never trust some one whose never kept tarantulas to take in a order of particularly rare spiders. Terrible idea.

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Mum's already okay with it now; she's just unfamiliar with how the whole "ordering inverts online" thing goes. As soon as the following week is over (I have four big final exams), I'll be moving all my pedes, plus my scorp, over here.

Dad got really affronted when I told him I didn't trust him with them anymore, but it's the best option for all: I get more inverts to see/feature on my YT channel, the inverts themselves will be under good care, and Dad won't have a house full of a growing number of free roaming giant centipedes.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Just don't get why you'd send them to your dad's in the first place if you're at your mom's..

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Because Mum was very strictly against my hobby at first. It was only because of my YT channel that she became okay with the idea of harbouring multiple inverts.

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon
Man that's a bummer, maybe one day your dad will just happen to find a giant black centipede under the couch

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
How do they not know? Are you hiding them?
Btw, maybe my future videos may help in getting your parents on board with having a rubripes in the house...maybe.

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon
How do they not know? Are you hiding them?
Btw, maybe my future videos may help in getting your parents on board with having a rubripes in the house...maybe.
Well they already know that I have bugs, so when they see a tub of dirt or a lump of wood they never really expect there to be something they wouldn't want in there. When I was living in the outer suburbs of Sydney I had an A. robustus for two years and they never knew and still don't now that I had one even now it's been released.

Also I did show then the video of you interacting with your rubripes but my mother's only response was "get me an A on your science, maths and English exams and I'll get you a centipede" I don't think she knows how big they get :happy:

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Yeah. The worst bit is how he is trying to make it not look like his fault. First, he blamed the boxes, saying that the labels should've mentioned that they didn't lock automatically (what kind of box does that anyway?). Then, he blamed me for not calling him and letting him know the box lids needed to be locked (common sense?). When I said I'd be taking the remaining pedes here, he asked in a rather confronting tone: "What, you don't trust me or something?!" to which I simply replied, "Well, in the space of a month, we've got two dead centipedes, and an equal amount running loose in the house - it's best for all of us if I keep them".

Last edited: