So sorry but poecilotheria sexing help

boksunga

Arachnopeon
Despite a whole lot of searching (this seems to be a common topic) I am not coming up with what I need to understand ventral sexing of poecilotheria, namely regalis.

In most of the threads that would have been helpful the pictures are no longer available so they aren't of a whole lot of use to me. :(

If anyone could tell me the age/size at which sexing is even possible and attach their own examples of male vs female please share! Mine is still around 1.5 - 2 inches. Best pic I could get rn but I will definitely try to get better or a molt once it happens.

Attachments

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
That's pretty small for reliable vent sexing.

Besides, pics too blurry, and too far away.

boksunga

Arachnopeon
That's pretty small for reliable vent sexing.

Besides, pics too blurry, and too far away.
That's what I'm thinking too. For the future however what should I look for to know and at what size should I start looking? I have heard males have a "belly button" ...to look at the furrow ... size/color, but since pics were no longer available in said threads I am not exactly sure what I am looking at/for.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
That's what I'm thinking too. For the future however what should I look for to know and at what size should I start looking? I have heard males have a "belly button" ...to look at the furrow ... size/color, but since pics were no longer available in said threads I am not exactly sure what I am looking at/for.
There's a distinctive dot in the furrow, which is usually otherwise a straight line or slight flap.

cold blood

Staff member
Mine is still around 1.5 - 2 inches.
2" IMO (some people can by 1.5" with pretty good success). The bigger they are, the easier it is...you can vent sex adults from halfway across the room.

I have heard males have a "belly button" ...
Hard to photograph, but easy to see in person. By shining a light front to back and back to front, you should be able see a little dot just above the furrow. Mine all just molted to about 2.5" and I am just starting to be able to see it easy....I did sex two at 1.5" for a friend, a male and a female, hopefully I did good, time will tell....we both need males more than females.

Last edited:

14pokies

Arachnoprince
By shining a light front to back and back to front, you should be able see a little dot just above the furrow.
The flashlight trick works great.

I recently bought a 2 1/2 suspect female P.smithi at a show.. I got it for the price of unsexed luckily.. It looked kinda male to me from the quick glimpse I was able to obtain ( it was hiding under the sub) but the seller was " pretty damn sure it was a female".. Either way I could use a smithi so I picked it up.

I finally got around to shining a light from the top down to the spinnerrettes a few days ago and the dot was clearly visible.. Without a light I would say it could go either way. The flashlight rarely lies though.

cold blood

Staff member
Light direction can make it easier....hopefully these quick pics i just took arent too poor...the first is back to front....tough to call...second is front to back....the dot pops out a bit. 20171120_195009.jpg 20171120_194853.jpg

Last edited:

boksunga

Arachnopeon
One more photo I have but honestly not better r i p

I appreciate the wisdom everyone! Hopefully will catch them hanging out again and be able to use this method. :0

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

BC1579

Arachnobaron
Just a thought - Kelly Swift over at Swift's Inverts will sex your molt for free. There is a link and some directions on their website. Not sure if you're in the US, but I figure postage has to be pretty cheap for an exuvia. It has to be in decent condition, but I think it's a neat service they offer.

boksunga

Arachnopeon
Just a thought - Kelly Swift over at Swift's Inverts will sex your molt for free. There is a link and some directions on their website. Not sure if you're in the US, but I figure postage has to be pretty cheap for an exuvia. It has to be in decent condition, but I think it's a neat service they offer.
Kelly is great from what I hear! Once it's warmer here I fullt intend to get some t's from them. Low minimum to ship is super sweet too!

Dot??

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

kevinlowl

Arachnoknight
Here's my two P. regalis slings that turned out to be a pair. I believe the difference is pretty straight forward in this pic.

Left = female, Right = male

Not sure about your sling though, it looks sexually ambiguous to me. I'll leave it to a veteran to chime in.

boksunga

Arachnopeon
Here's my two P. regalis slings that turned out to be a pair. I believe the difference is pretty straight forward in this pic.

Left = female, Right = male

Not sure about your sling though, it looks sexually ambiguous to me. I'll leave it to a veteran to chime in.
Thanks! Yup i'm just gonna have to be patient and wait for a sizeable molt I think :')