So my Tegenaria atrica had babies....

Bunyan van Asten

Arachnoknight
Hey everyone! My Tegenaria atrica had an eggsac right before christmas and just an hour ago they all hatched... However i don't have enough containers for them all, i also want to sell a few for a low price but they are very rare in the specific parts where i live, so should i keep all of them and set them free once they've grown a little? Or sell them instead, i could use some help when it comes to containing 80+ babies in only 2 containers... i don't have any more.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Congrats on the slings! Selling them would probably be an easy way to get rid of some. You can also let them cannibalize a bit to make the numbers more manageable and weed out the weaker individuals.

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
id say just sell some and keep some id say release the rest but that might upset the ecosystem near you seeing there rare around there. im very interested in buying one or two so definitely keep us updated on that factor

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Hey everyone! My Tegenaria atrica had an eggsac right before christmas and just an hour ago they all hatched... However i don't have enough containers for them all, i also want to sell a few for a low price but they are very rare in the specific parts where i live, so should i keep all of them and set them free once they've grown a little?
If Eratigena atrica (this species was moved to a new genus) is native to your area, I would just release any slings you don't want to keep.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
im very interested in buying one or two so definitely keep us updated on that factor
He's in the Netherlands, so I probably wouldn't recommend it ;) You should be able to get Eratigena atrica here in the US though since it's invasive in the Pacific Northwest. They make for fun pets. I used to have a huge female and was bummed when she finally kicked it.

Bunyan van Asten

Arachnoknight
If Eratigena atrica (this species was moved to a new genus) is native to your area, I would just release any slings you don't want to keep.
Well, i'll sell a few to some friends and releaste the rest in after, they have become rare in this counry due to pesticides and stuff, just like all other arthopods around here.

Lenni

Arachnopeon
Did it turn out ok with your slings? I just noticed an egg sack today in ony of my T domestica enclosures and I'm unsure how to feed the babies when they arrive. How did you solve that problem?

(Oops just noticed that I misread and you have another species. But the slings are probably not that different.)

dangerforceidle

Arachnoangel
Did it turn out ok with your slings? I just noticed an egg sack today in ony of my T domestica enclosures and I'm unsure how to feed the babies when they arrive. How did you solve that problem?

(Oops just noticed that I misread and you have another species. But the slings are probably not that different.)
They will be remarkably similar to E. atrica, as they used to be the same genus.

The babies will likely cannibalize to some degree, and I think you'll be able to pre-kill a prey item and they should scavenge. They are tiny and don't need a lot of food yet.