So many choices for your second T....

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
If you want something that has a medium growth rate, might I suggest B. albopilosum. They don't grow quite as slow as most in the Brachypelma genus.

Razzledazzy

Arachnosquire
If you want something that has a medium growth rate, might I suggest B. albopilosum. They don't grow quite as slow as most in the Brachypelma genus.
I guess I'm just worried about caring for my first sling. I know they have slightly different care than juvies. I don't want to get stuck with like, say a pulchra that says 'thanks but no thanks' on molting for a year.

Last edited:

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I guess I'm just worried about caring for my first sling. I know they're more fragile
In my experience, NW terrestrial slings like brachys, aphonos, and grammies aren't nearly as delicate as people assume. A lot of people are reluctant to start with a sling for that reason (I know I was). Give em the usual setup, a little bottlecap of water (or just moisten a corner of the soil periodically if they're too tiny for a bottlecap), pinhead crickets, and you're golden.
I don't want to get stuck with like, say a pulchra that says 'thanks but no thanks' on molting for a year.
This however is absolutely the truth.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Maybe the wise thing to do is wait and learn more about Ts, rather than go out and get another one....

Razzledazzy

Arachnosquire
Maybe the wise thing to do is wait and learn more about Ts, rather than go out and get another one....
Thanks for the suggestion! I did months of research- complete with spreadsheets- using peer reviewed and cross referenced sources prior to getting my first T. A decision that I slept on and consulted many professionals before making (the 'sleeping on it' period was an additional two weeks after the research period was done). I'm sure there's people who need to heed caution who haven't done research and want to go out and grab a poecilotheria immediately as a second T, but I hardly think bringing a brachy or a g. pulchripes into my life is a decision that I need to hold off on because of someone else's idea of how much time it takes the average person to learn something. I think I'm ready to look into taking one on, which could mean it happens tomorrow or it could wait until July when my local expo comes around.

In my experience, NW terrestrial slings like brachys, aphonos, and grammies aren't nearly as delicate as people assume. A lot of people are reluctant to start with a sling for that reason (I know I was). Give em the usual setup, a little bottlecap of water (or just moisten a corner of the soil periodically if they're too tiny for a bottlecap), pinhead crickets, and you're golden.
I know slings are hardier than they look, but they look so fragile! It's the size. Logically, I know larger Ts are actually the more fragile specimens at risk of injury or complication, but it's a hard thought to shake. Trying something new (like raising slings) is always a little nerve wracking, but I'm game for it.

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks for the suggestion! I did months of research- complete with spreadsheets- using peer reviewed and cross referenced sources prior to getting my first T. A decision that I slept on and consulted many professionals before making (the 'sleeping on it' period was an additional two weeks after the research period was done). I'm sure there's people who need to heed caution who haven't done research and want to go out and grab a poecilotheria immediately as a second T, but I hardly think bringing a brachy or a g. pulchripes into my life is a decision that I need to hold off on because of someone else's idea of how much time it takes the average person to learn something. I think I'm ready to look into taking one on, which could mean it happens tomorrow or it could wait until July when my local expo comes around.

I know slings are hardier than they look, but they look so fragile! It's the size. Logically, I know larger Ts are actually the more fragile specimens at risk of injury or complication, but it's a hard thought to shake. Trying something new (like raising slings) is always a little nerve wracking, but I'm game for it.
You are one of the few people who have done the above. My response is based on the average of what I've seen here for many years. Also, w/out the information you recently supplied, one gets an average response hah.

We see many people start collecting Ts like they are Skittles, next thing you know they are selling them off, but more importantly rapidly lose interest. Stick around long enough and you will observe this yourself if you haven't already.

I understand your concern about slings. The only issue with slings is they are more likely to die due to dehydration as they are smaller. That aside, they are no harder to take care of. In fact, they are easier due to their size.

If you have done as much research as you claim, you should have zero problems.

Razzledazzy

Arachnosquire
You are one of the few people who have done the above. My response is based on the average of what I've seen here for many years. Also, w/out the information you recently supplied, one gets an average response hah.

We see many people start collecting Ts like they are Skittles, next thing you know they are selling them off, but more importantly rapidly lose interest. Stick around long enough and you will observe this yourself if you haven't already.

I understand your concern about slings. The only issue with slings is they are more likely to die due to dehydration as they are smaller. That aside, they are no harder to take care of. In fact, they are easier due to their size.

If you have done as much research as you claim, you should have zero problems.
That's fair! It pays to be cautious. I'm not super worried about dehydration being an issue more than it would normally be. I live in a place that likes to stay near 90% humidity all summer (oh the joys of living in a subtropical region), as long as I'm wetting down their sub or dropping water on their webs regularly they shouldn't dry out faster than I can compensate for.

I don't mean to make it sound like I think myself an expert, I know that there's always new things to learn and sometimes the hobby discovers new things and we'll all have to unlearn the old stuff. (Like how Avics used to be recommended to keep very wet and we all learned later that wasn't such a great idea). But there's only so much you can learn from videos, the boards, books, and other keepers. Eventually you gotta climb the ladder of personal experience. My chalcodes doesn't show any signs of being stressed, no curling her legs over her head or hairing, she doesn't threat posture or bolt around when I gently open her tank to fill her waterdish or drop a cricket in. The only thing I haven't experienced with her that I'd like to before getting another T is a molt- but given her species that might be a bit of a wait since my room's kept on the colder side of the 70s.

I'm also keeping track of my spider's status through another set of spreadsheets tracking feedings, molts, rehousings, and behavior, that way if (heavens forbid) something does go wrong from a stupid new keeper mistake, I can share the data here and help people help me fix my mistakes. I'd like to think all of that puts me on the side of a 'prepared and cautious newbie'.

Cas S

Arachnoknight
I have also just gotten my first T (a GBB), and I also want another. what I'm hoping to do is get a more aggressive new world so I can have a calmer T, and a more Aggressive one. Im hoping to get a G. rosea (not porteri)

Razzledazzy

Arachnosquire
Smart! I do the same.
What specifically do you track? Because I'm always worried I'm missing something that I should be writing down.

For feedings I track: the date, the day of the week, the type/size of food, quantity, purchase location, price, and feeding response.

For rehousings I track: occupant size, date, reason for rehousing, type of enclosure, size of enclosure, substrate type, additional tank materials, and comments

For molts I track: start date and time, end date and time, size before, size after, and comments

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have also just gotten my first T (a GBB), and I also want another. what I'm hoping to do is get a more aggressive new world so I can have a calmer T, and a more Aggressive one. Im hoping to get a G. rosea (not porteri)
Remember, they aren't aggressive. No T goes out of its way to attack for no reason, man does that, not a T. They are defensive.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
What specifically do you track? Because I'm always worried I'm missing something that I should be writing down.

For feedings I track: the date, the day of the week, the type/size of food, quantity, purchase location, price, and feeding response.

For rehousings I track: occupant size, date, reason for rehousing, type of enclosure, size of enclosure, substrate type, additional tank materials, and comments

For molts I track: start date and time, end date and time, size before, size after, and comments
You track more than me. Have fun! There's no need for me to track all of that info down because I have it in my head.

All I track is what I quoted.

Cas S

Arachnoknight
Remember, they aren't aggressive. No T goes out of its way to attack for no reason, man does that, not a T. They are defensive.
I mean like there more likely to give a threat posture, or like what you said

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I mean like there more likely to give a threat posture, or like what you said
Many OW and NW too are like that. I've never been interested in that aspect. While I tend to be light in the OW dept, I've owned a variety, African and Asian. Something about seeing a threat posture simply because I dropped in a cricket doesn't appeal to me. Or even a kick of setae as my AF boehmei did when feeding her! Not interesting.

Cas S

Arachnoknight
Many OW and NW too are like that. I've never been interested in that aspect. While I tend to be light in the OW dept, I've owned a variety, African and Asian. Something about seeing a threat posture simply because I dropped in a cricket doesn't appeal to me. Or even a kick of setae as my AF boehmei did when feeding her! Not interesting.
I guess it is just more exciting than one that is calm, but you can't really handle. the appeal of something like a Euathlus sp red is that they are SO docile and curious. but something more defensive gives you more action. not saying Ts in the middle are bad though, I also like those ones.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I guess it is just more exciting than one that is calm, but you can't really handle. the appeal of something like a Euathlus sp red is that they are SO docile and curious. but something more defensive gives you more action. not saying Ts in the middle are bad though, I also like those ones.
I don't need any more action in life. I own these animals as they are interesting to observe and learn from.

E sp Red are def. a T to own.

Cas S

Arachnoknight
I don't need any more action in life. I own these animals as they are interesting to observe and learn from.

E sp Red are def. a T to own.

I was going to get a 2" female E. sp. red with enclosure for $150, but my mom wouldnt let me spend that much money