So many choices for your second T....

Razzledazzy

Arachnosquire
Alright, I'll admit I've been 'bitten' by the 'bug'. I've got a set up for a second T if I were to get a juvenile, and several other smaller sling worthy containers. I've got the space. I've got the setup.

But what to get.

That's where you guys come in.

Right now the standings are:
Brachypelma emilia
Brachypelma vagans
Brachypelma auratum
Grammastola pulchripes
Damien's Mystery Spider from Fear Not (that I suspect is a G. pulchra)
Avicularia juruensis
One of the mystery Avics that my local exotics store has because I don't know common names to scientific names for those buggers.

Thing is, if I'm ordering online there's only one place to get the emilia rn that I've found so I'd probably get an emilia and a vagans.

But I also know of a local store (a different exotics store than the one above) selling an auratum but it's a bit pricey, could get the vagans and the emilia slings for less than half the price of it.

Out of the ones on this list, I find the emilia and auratum to be the most visually striking.... but choices choices. I've been trying to find some breeders/dealers local to Florida that I could deal with directly without the exotics store upcharge, but no luck so far.

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Welcome to your first step on the slippery slope of T keeping. My heavily biased recommendation is the B. emilia and G. pulchra. Keep in mind G. pulchras are glacially slow growers. One of mine is still less than an inch after 4 years.

Razzledazzy

Arachnosquire
Welcome to your first step on the slippery slope of T keeping. My heavily biased recommendation is the B. emilia and G. pulchra. Keep in mind G. pulchras are glacially slow growers. One of mine is still less than an inch after 4 years.
Well, I've got a chalcodes right now. And she... just doesn't grow. :rolleyes:

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well, I've got a chalcodes right now. And she... just doesn't grow. :rolleyes:
Our native tarantula species are highly underappreciated. How big is she? Most of my Aphono slings have outpaced my slowest growing G. pulchra.

Razzledazzy

Arachnosquire
Our native tarantula species are highly underappreciated. How big is she? Most of my Aphono slings have outpaced my slowest growing G. pulchra.
She's about 3-3.5 inches. About the size of my middle finger and some change. I find Ts to be pretty difficult to measure so that's sort of an approximation. She's not molted in my care yet.

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
She's about 3-3.5 inches. About the size of my middle finger and some change. I find Ts to be pretty difficult to measure so that's sort of an approximation. She's not molted in my care yet.
You might be waiting a while. My juvie US-native Aphonopelmas aren't on an annual molt cycle, but I don't keep them particularly warm (low to mid 70s depending on the time of year).

Razzledazzy

Arachnosquire
You might be waiting a while. My juvie US-native Aphonopelmas aren't on an annual molt cycle, but I don't keep them particularly warm (low to mid 70s depending on the time of year).
Yeah, my room stays pretty cold (about 68-71) because it's doesn't have an intake vent so the AC just continues to dump cold air in there unless I keep the door open 24/7 which I clearly don't. But she's eating and she's not acting very lethargic so I think she's fine. Just not very engaging at the moment. Maybe summer will change that when my room gets up to like 77.

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah, my room stays pretty cold (about 68-71) because it's doesn't have an intake vent so the AC just continues to dump cold air in there unless I keep the door open 24/7 which I clearly don't. But she's eating and she's not acting very lethargic so I think she's fine. Just not very engaging at the moment. Maybe summer will change that when my room gets up to like 77.
That temperature range is safe for Ts, it'll just make them extra slow growing and a little sluggish. I'm always interested to observe how different my Ts feeding responses are when the temperature is lower.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper

Jokesonmeow

Arachnopeon
I also suspect that Damien’s Mystery Spider is a pulchra. Husband wants me to take the gamble. I’m terrified. :rofl:

Razzledazzy

Arachnosquire
I also suspect that Damien’s Mystery Spider is a pulchra. Husband wants me to take the gamble. I’m terrified. :rofl:
You should do it! What's the worst that could happen you get a different T that comes with a habitat? Sure it's like, 90 bucks. Butttttt. (Actually I'm not sure what Fear Not's shipping prices are. Pfft.)

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I would include a vagans. Then you’ll have a T that grows at a decent pace to offset the others. Also they are beautiful and awesome.

Jokesonmeow

Arachnopeon
I would include a vagans. Then you’ll have a T that grows at a decent pace to offset the others. Also they are beautiful and awesome.
Legit, scored my vagans as a freebie. She eats well and she has a big ol booty, ready to molt any day. Also, it’s kinda neat to watch her burrow and push dirt around!

Razzledazzy

Arachnosquire
So far vagans, emilia, and pulchripes are in the lead. It's a good range.... if only I could get all three. Maybe I should wait until the July reptile expo to see what I can score.

boina

Lady of the mites
Vagans is a good choice, a faster growing, more active Brachy with stunning looks and usually rather cheap - that would definitely be my first choice from the ones above.

Emilia has nice looks and the are reasonable active as juveniles and they are not the slowest growing Brachy on the planet but that isn't saying much. My adult female is the definition of a pet rock, she moves about once a week if at that, eats about 5 roaches in the months after a molt and then nothing for the next 18 months before she molts again and just sits there. She was my very first and I love her for that and her looks but other than that she's not on my list of favorites.

G. pulchras can be really fun but their growth rates can be frustrating. I've a small juvenile (1.5") that refuses to molt since two years.

B. auratum can be very skittish. Mine is about the biggest hair kicker I have. Very pretty, though, until they go bold...

G. pulchripes - well, mine is broken, she is skittish and hides a lot but they are generally supposed to be more pleasant in disposition, so I leave that review to others.

tewebag

Arachnoknight
My second T was an avicularia avicularia and I do not regret that decision at all. Getting that avic helped me learn a whole bunch of stuff about keeping them since before that I only had a Grammostola rosea before then.

If you decide to go the avic route I would be happy to help you with any questions or gladly point you to good threads here.
20180411_161832.jpg

Minty

@londontarantulas
If I were in your position, I'd pick the Brachypelma emilia, purely based on the fact that I love the way they look.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
My vote is for the Grammostola pulchripes and Brachypelma emilia.
DSC06874-2.jpg
DSC05300-2.jpg

Razzledazzy

Arachnosquire
Emilia and Pulchripes seem to be in the lead right now. I agree that the coloring on emilias is so beautiful, but I am a bit concerned about the growth rates on them. Perhaps a vagans would be better to keep as a 'first sling', since I bought my first T as a juvie.