So is keeping a black widow easier than keeping, say, a venomous snake?

venomous.com

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I kept venomous snakes for over 10 years and hands down spiders are easier to keep. Room requirements, food, cleaning, everything is simpler and less dangerous with spiders.

On the other hand, I have never been close to being bitten by a snake and these damn spiders make me nervous because you are always in such close proximity to them when doing maintenance. I fully expect to get tagged by a pokie or something one day. Snakes are much more predictable than spiders.

And for the record, I'd take a widow bite over anything but a contortrix

antbebo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I live with both rattlers and widows on a daily basis in West Texas, and am far more nervous about a rattler than a black widow. I have moved black widows using a short stick to get them out of the way of garage doors and outdoor sheds. I have never come across one that was at all aggressive towards me even though I have been within a couple of inches from them. If I find a nice one, I will toss it a couple of mealworms once a week. Even my 3 year old knows to steer clear of them, and I don't worry about him around the widows if we know where they are. How much easier can it get? A rattler near the house or pens, on the other hand, gets a shovel tossed at it.

GiantVinegaroon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I guess what I was really trying to ask was if it's ok for a spider noob to just go out and get a widow and try keeping it. I've been working with reptiles forever and I always read how it's responsible to be very experienced with reptiles before keeping venomous snakes/lizards.

Would you have to take precautionary measures before getting a widow? Like would you need any specific supplies for working with a potentially deadly spider?

Also, are there legal issues to deal with in order to get 'em?

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
I guess what I was really trying to ask was if it's ok for a spider noob to just go out and get a widow and try keeping it. I've been working with reptiles forever and I always read how it's responsible to be very experienced with reptiles before keeping venomous snakes/lizards.

Would you have to take precautionary measures before getting a widow? Like would you need any specific supplies for working with a potentially deadly spider?

Also, are there legal issues to deal with in order to get 'em?
yes, it is perfectly ok. no real precautionary measures, just don't be stupid, be responsible. no specifics supplies, just some little grabbers if you want. no legal issues. they are very fun pets. i sometimes hand feed mine. great fun :D

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ive set up more then a few widows in my room with no enclosures. ...and I cant see doing that with a dangerous snake. :? :D

Would you have to take precautionary measures before getting a widow?
If its not native, you should worry a bit about slings getting out. Tight wove nylon mesh such as wedding veil and some silicon aquarium glue can make for a fast n easy escape proof solution.
But besides that, this idea that there is some real danger if slings escape into/around the home ...IMO..bunk. The chances of a sling making it to adulthood in ones home, even with an entire sac escaping, is small at best. And if one does find its perfect place behind the washing machine or wherever, she'd be pretty much just another spider.

Like would you need any specific supplies for working with a potentially deadly spider?
tweezers and a couple different sized artist brushes ...fan brushes are great.

As for the question of venom/danger when comparing lets say a rattler vs a hesperus...
100 mile out, lost, mid of the desert... mommy nature grabs me by the balls and offers.. "cake or death?". I look at that cake thinkin, its probably gonna give me troubles... "Ill take the cake" I sez.

UrbanJungles

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You shouldn't really be keeping venomous snakes unless you have a permanent secure location, preferably where if the snake escapes it won't be able to come in contact with anyone.

I'd wait until you move out on your own to get a venomous snake, stick with the widow for now.

Tarangela

Arachnobaron
I would take the widow over the snake any day....I have had snakes, they are cool, and neat to watch...I just trust my spiders more...;P

crpy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
imagine takin a pin and poppin them blistas...squishy!

clam1991

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i once got a blister cuz someone in my shop in school thought it would be funny to see how my hand holds up against a piece of metal that was just welded

well i got a blister and when i went to pop it, it shot a stream of..blister goo? out
it was awesome:D

the nature boy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i once got a blister cuz someone in my shop in school thought it would be funny to see how my hand holds up against a piece of metal that was just welded

well i got a blister and when i went to pop it, it shot a stream of..blister goo? out
Thanks! I appreciate that!

--the nature boy

crpy

Arachnoking
Old Timer

cool, I stuck a hot paper clip through my bosses finger nail cause he had hit it with a hammer and it was all infected, man, gook squirted and hit the ceiling, the yelling was ear piercing.

the nature boy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
cool, I stuck a hot paper clip through my bosses finger nail cause he had hit it with a hammer and it was all infected, man, gook squirted and hit the ceiling, the yelling was ear piercing.
Man, I can always count on you. :evil:

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer

The Flork

Arachnopeon
haha how is it a question? black widow is in her web all the time waiting for something on her web. snake is waiting for movement and heat, all of witch you have opening the cage to feed it, so every time you feed it your taking your life in your hands. spiders arnt always gonna bite, they just try and get away. one time i went from the walk down to the bus stop, the bus ride to school and class until gym class when i took of my sweater and a black widow fell out all day long i had that sucker in their!!! wouldn't of made it outta the house if it was a rattler haha

all that aside i think what it comes down to is when push comes to shove-man vs beast a black widow can be stepped on and smooshed, you try and step on and smoosh a snake your gonna get bit haha