So is keeping a black widow easier than keeping, say, a venomous snake?

GiantVinegaroon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've always been wondering this, as spiders are alot easier to keep. Also, the fact that you don't handle them seems to greatly reduce risk of being bit.

crpy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
For the most part a widow just hangs there and then scoots up in a corner (if not already up in a corner)when disturbed, say by feeding.

A venomous snake just lays there, until feeding, then depending on spp. can tag you butt with a feeding response if your not careful.

Which is easier:? = widow:D

Oh, if a venomous snake gets sick= Potential trouble
If a widow gets sick=it dies and you get another from the basement

GiantVinegaroon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
For the most part a widow just hangs there and then scoots up in a corner (if not already up in a corner)when disturbed, say by feeding.

A venomous snake just lays there, until feeding, then depending on spp. can tag you butt with a feeding response if your not careful.

Which is easier:? = widow:D

Oh, if a venomous snake gets sick= Potential trouble
If a widow gets sick=it dies and you get another from the basement
man i wish i could find a laughing smiley to show how much i laughed at the truth i just read.

yea i've kinda considered getting one but never knew if it was a good idea.

clam1991

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
well i think easy depends

someone who wants a venomous animal may think a snake would be easier
if they have a bunch of rats to feed them

but others may be worried about them getting out
and then some people would be worried about the spider because its so small and might be more venomous than a certain type of snake

id rather have a rattler bite me than a black widow

and is there an anti venom for spiders?
just wondering i know there is for snakes

GiantVinegaroon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

and then some people would be worried about the spider because its so small and might be more venomous than a certain type of snake

i'm pretty sure there is spider antivenom as well

crpy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
not really the dorm thing, but going home for the summer. i don't think a potentially deadly spider will not receive a warm welcome in my abode.
ahh, Kinda understandable especially if it was a gravid one.

My parents were kinda lenient, they let me keep a cotton mouth in my room when I was 17. Thats when I found out about parthenogenesis in Agkistrodon.

Last edited:

clam1991

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
hmm well i guess it depends on what kind of temperament you want from you pet?

GiantVinegaroon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
ahh, Kinda understandable especially if it was a gravid one.

My parents were kinda lenient, they let keep a cotton mouth in my room when I was 17. Thats when I found out about parthenogenesis in Agkistrodon.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA please don't tell me the cottonmouth demonstrated parthenogenesis! hell would break loose quite literally

crpy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA please don't tell me the cottonmouth demonstrated parthenogenesis! hell would break loose quite literally
Well when I was 17 a veterinarian friend and I performed a labialectomy on her(removal of venom glands, pre-occular location) and for 1 year I force fed her. Another year went by and one morning I found 10 babies in her tank. I had never heard of parthenogenesis so I never checked to see what sex they were. So 2 years with no male, I suppose it could have been delayed implantation.
However I have a herp friend that has a female that has had parthenogenic reproduction with one of his A. p. conanti =well documented.

GiantVinegaroon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well when I was 17 a veterinarian friend and I performed a labialectomy on her(removal of venom glands, pre-occular location) and for 1 year I force fed her. Another year went by and one morning I found 10 babies in her tank. I had never heard of parthenogenesis so I never checked to see what sex they were. So 2 years with no male, I suppose it could have been delayed implantation.
However I have a herp friend that has a female that has had parthenogenic reproduction with one of his A. p. conanti =well documented.
well i HOPE you kept records on your cotton!

MaartenSFS

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Without question, a black widow. A venomous snake can easily escape if the correct precautions aren't taken.

crpy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
well i HOPE you kept records on your cotton!
I only have records of the operation and the birth. The operation details went to Texas A&M as well.
How ever my friend's amelenistic A.p. conanti is recent and well documented and I am contacting him to get that info for AB.

redsaw

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I would say that keeping a black widow would be easier. here is a bad pic of the jar that I keep my widow in. just put in a little subsrait & a twig with branches to climb & make web on. the widow jar is on the right. If you look closely you can see sprouts growing on the twig in the jar

cjm1991

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

Not to mention the fact that a snake has like 30x the reach of a widow...

The thing is, a snake is more likely to look for an escape and more than likely alot more aggressive than a widow. The widow would just chill in a corner or its web most if not all day. They are also not the best at walking on plain ground and have adapted to more alot more quickly on their web. A snake however can go through water, small spaces, and alot faster than a widow.

Lol you say that now, a widow can give and may give a dry bite, a rattle snake WILL envenomate you and you will have to go to the hospital right away.

Yes there is and only for some species not every single venomous spider, same for scorpions

Well I gave my 2 cents on the topic :rolleyes:

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This is simple: a black widow is far easier and safer to keep than any venomous snake. Why? Think about it: which is easier to get tagged by, a 1-inch lump that hangs upside down in a web, or a lithe, 3 foot viper that can strike from half its body length away? The snake can get to you much more easily than a spider, i.e., the snake has the ability to "reach out and touch" someone, whereas the person must, essentially, reach out and touch the spider to be bitten.

Add speed, size, ability to escape versus ability to contain, and lifestyle: a snake is a hunting predator, mobile. A spider sits and waits. The snake obviously has more of a tendency to "want" to get out of its box. There are members on here who have kept Latros free in their homes: setting up a web in a corner, and leaving it there. The spider stays put once its web is assembled, providing the site is successful, and nothing disturbs/ wrecks the web.

In short, widows are smaller, slower, and lazier than any snake.