So i went to sleep last night woke up my tarantula was gone cage was closed

Hyperion

Arachnopeon
Please don't take anybody's comments to harshly each and everyone of them started off in pretty much the same place basically not knowing a damn thing about the hobby and then learned over time as you are going to learn over time

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Please don't take anybody's comments to harshly each and everyone of them started off in pretty much the same place basically not knowing a damn thing about the hobby and then learned over time as you are going to learn over time
That's a bit of a silly statement.

We all came out of our mommas not knowing which way was up. What people are saying is that if you didn't do enough research on a tarantula spiderling to know that they dig and burrow, you clearly didn't do enough research at all. I knew tarantulas like to burrow, some more than others, before I bought my first tarantula.

Yeah you learn as you go but you should at least have the basics figured out before you purchase a living animal and assume responsibility for its life.

Hyperion

Arachnopeon
That's a bit of a silly statement.

We all came out of our mommas not knowing which way was up. What people are saying is that if you didn't do enough research on a tarantula spiderling to know that they dig and burrow, you clearly didn't do enough research at all. I knew tarantulas like to burrow, some more than others, before I bought my first tarantula.

Yeah you learn as you go but you should at least have the basics figured out before you purchase a living animal and assume responsibility for its life.
I don't see what you find Silly
Somebody asks for help publicly putting themselves out there instead of being helped they are mocked and joked about sarcastically I personally got into tarantula keeping on accident and knew absolutely nothing And like the young man in question when I went online and publicly asked for help I was also mocked because I didn't know anything and I'm sure my questions reflected that!!! nobody bothered to help me or educate me I was just chastised and I almost got out of the hobby because of that I figured if that's how tarantula keepers behave why would I want to be one ? I don't want any young aspiring tarantula keeper to feel that way...just trying to show some understanding and kindness here that's all

BC1579

Arachnobaron
I see your point @Hyperion but a sub 1" sling in a 5 gallon container? That's not a result of poor research, that's a result of no research.

I'm still pretty new here but I've read enough threads to know @miss moxie can be...painfully honest. Sometimes a little tough love is in order.

efmp1987

Arachnoknight
Somebody asks for help publicly putting themselves out there instead of being helped they are mocked and joked about sarcastically I personally got into tarantula keeping on accident and knew absolutely nothing And like the young man in question when I went online and publicly asked for help I was also mocked because I didn't know anything and I'm sure my questions reflected that!!! nobody bothered to help me or educate me I was just chastised and I almost got out of the hobby because of that I figured if that's how tarantula keepers behave why would I want to be one ? I don't want any young aspiring tarantula keeper to feel that way...just trying to show some understanding and kindness here that's all
As much as I agree with Ms Moxie, I also agree with your sentiment. There are definitely bullies here. The types who get pissed off when you demonstrate incompetence but also get annoyed when you insist you know what youre doing.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
It's silly to say "we all started off not knowing anything" because that can be said about anything. I didn't know anything about knitting until I purposefully learned about it. Essentially what you said was "no one knows anything until they know something" which yeah is silly and incredibly over-simplified.

No one said anything salty until OP mentioned "how do they go under the ground and not suffocate?"

And what I am telling you is that unless an animal gets dumped into your lap, you shouldn't acquire it until you know how to properly care for it. It's not a rock, it's a living and breathing thing that cannot tell you what it needs so it is your responsibility to give it what it needs. To know what it needs you have to do research. If OP didn't read that spiderlings and tarantulas dig and burrow, they didn't do enough research. If this tarantula was given to them, so be it. But you shouldn't assume responsibility for something you don't know how to keep alive.

No one told him to get rid of his tarantula and that he was a horrible person, they just told him the truth. He hadn't done enough research.

Do you know how many people post "my T is dying, what did I do wrong? :(" and then post a C. lividium on an inch of dry wood chips. I'm glad OP came here before he did any serious harm to their tarantula, willing and open to learning and being taught. But putting in some work beforehand saves tarantula lives and is no skin off anyone's teeth. There is a lot of good, free information out there. He didn't have to drive 3 hours to the nearest library to rent the only copy of some rare tarantula text, then translate it from German to English word by word with a German to English dictionary. When I google "taking care of tarantula spiderlings" the first result is this. From that page, you get to:

mcluskyisms said:
Terrestrial spiderlings like their adult counterparts will need enclosures that don’t offer much height although allow for more floor space. Again pill vials, rearing jars and maybe small RUB’s will be fine, depending on the spiderlings size. One thing to bare in mind though is that Terrestrial spiderlings will need more substrate as when they are small they will tend to make small burrows to live in, species such as Brachypelma, Grammostola and Lasiodora will do well in such a set up. Again for humidity you have to take into account the species of spiderling, as general rule of thumb dictates the species that don’t require as much humidity do better when provided with more air holes than those that do require higher humidity. Again for furnishings, I rarely provide very small spiderlings with furnishings finding that they will mainly make their own retreat from substrate, although adding a small piece of cork bark to hide under may likely be beneficial.

That took 5 minutes. We're not asking a lot by asking people to do some research before purchasing a living creature. We get edgy when people don't do research, because not doing research kills tarantulas every week around here.

Chickenfeeder100

Arachnosquire
agslorphis. Of course nobody is going to know everything about the beautiful and sometimes annoying tarantula hobby, but it's pretty clear that the guy or girl didn't do that much research. I remember the first time I wanted to go into the arguably better scorpion hobby;) I researched the scorpion for 3 months, and I didn't even know if I was even getting one. Did I say something offensive?:hurting:

Hyperion

Arachnopeon
agslorphis. Of course nobody is going to know everything about the beautiful and sometimes annoying tarantula hobby, but it's pretty clear that the guy or girl didn't do that much research. I remember the first time I wanted to go into the arguably better scorpion hobby;) I researched the scorpion for 3 months, and I didn't even know if I was even getting one. Did I say something offensive?:hurting:
No no you didn't say anything offensive I've just come to the realization that I have signed up for the wrong community that's all

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Nowhere better to learn about tarantulas.

We may chuckle at some questions. But we always try our best to answer them. Questions make the world go round. You're a fool if you don't ask.

BC1579

Arachnobaron
I'd hate to see anyone go. Sometimes people don't agree on the best approach to take. I'm sure you have useful info and funny stories and great insight that would be a boon to the community. Don't let @miss moxie's threat posture drive you off. And how is there not a threat posture emoji?

I think we all bring a little something to the table.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
No no you didn't say anything offensive I've just come to the realization that I have signed up for the wrong community that's all
You were the one who dug up this thread from a couple months ago. All you had to say was that everyone started off not knowing anything about tarantulas, which is true enough. But then you seemingly got offended when people said that new keepers should do a minimal amount of research before assuming responsibility for an animal's life.

I don't see how any of us were in the wrong for saying that.

efmp1987

Arachnoknight
We also have to take into consideration that from a starting point the levels of consciousness with regards to knowing what needs to be done and what's not to be done vary by individual. Some are clueless to anything animal-related, and will not know what to research e.g. substrate, importance of hides, those details. How can one know what to research if by default he or she is not aware of it's significance or importance? For others, this will come next to instinctive, to others, not so. It is therefore important to respect that aspect because you cannot force it to a level you started with.

I didn't know of the significance of the acidity of the substrate so that one escaped my mind until just a few hours ago <--- example.

Chickenfeeder100

Arachnosquire
You're literally saying that you signed up to the wrong forum because people told the guy that he should have done more research. WHY!?!?:banghead:

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
I'd hate to see anyone go. Sometimes people don't agree on the best approach to take. I'm sure you have useful info and funny stories and great insight that would be a boon to the community. Don't let @miss moxie's threat posture drive you off. And how is there not a threat posture emoji?

I think we all bring a little something to the table.
:vamp: is close enough, right?

Anyway, I'm blunt but I'm not saying anything outrageous. I wouldn't have gathered this many likes, agrees, and loves if I wasn't saying stuff that is true, helpful, or a combination of the two. It boggles my mind still that we're arguing about researching the basics being necessary for successful tarantula keeping. I wasn't even a part of the original conversation, I just chimed in to say that research is 100% necessary and one of the most important aspects of this hobby.

efmp1987

Arachnoknight
:vamp: is close enough, right?

Anyway, I'm blunt but I'm not saying anything outrageous. I wouldn't have gathered this many likes, agrees, and loves if I wasn't saying stuff that is true, helpful, or a combination of the two. It boggles my mind still that we're arguing about researching the basics being necessary for successful tarantula keeping. I wasn't even a part of the original conversation, I just chimed in to say that research is 100% necessary and one of the most important aspects of this hobby.

Not to mention funny. :happy::happy::happy:

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
We also have to take into consideration that from a starting point the levels of consciousness with regards to knowing what needs to be done and what's not to be done vary by individual. Some are clueless to anything animal-related, and will not know what to research e.g. substrate, importance of hides, those details. How can one know what to research if by default he or she is not aware of it's significance or importance? For others, this will come next to instinctive, to others, not so. It is therefore important to respect that aspect because you cannot force it to a level you started with.

I didn't know of the significance of the acidity of the substrate so that one escaped my mind until just a few hours ago <--- example.
I don't think anyone expects a newb to type "what substrate acidity is best for A. geniculata" but honestly "how to care for a tarantula spiderling" would be an easy jumping off point.

BC1579

Arachnobaron
And videos...oh, the videos. Forget reading some document or a post on a message board. There are literally videos out there that show you how to build enclosures, how to provide moisture, how to decorate an enclosure...Tom Moran has a video where he shows how he converted an old juice bottle into a rain-maker.

@Hyperion is right to an extent - sometimes razzing can turn people off. I get it. I also get that there is a learning curve and it's impossible to know everything right out of the gate. Hell, it's probably impossible to know everything after 20 years in the hobby.

I think it comes down to initiative. In some cases the desire to have is greater than the desire to learn, and that reads as petulant or impetuous to some people.