So i went to sleep last night woke up my tarantula was gone cage was closed

Charles Yancey

Arachnopeon
What it he doing in the cage when hes moving his peddy palps idk how to spell it but i guess digging

Socfroggy

Arachnoknight
A deli cup would be a more suitable enclosure. As for rubbing the pedipalps, it's probably just grooming. I recommend you get the Tarantula Keeper's Guide, it will give you a lot of info.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Yeah, I probably spent about a month researching before I even ordered my first one.
It's the sensible way to go, you wouldn't buy a chameleon or other exotic animal without researching it's needs, behaviour, suitability, feeding, housing. So why do new keepers get T's without the slightest bit of research - it's beyond contempt.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Ok cool thank you but i use eco earth so a deli cup will woek
The TKG is a great source of relative information, the book covers a multitude of topics, IME a must for new and more experienced keepers alike, listen to what experienced keepers are telling you, it's not school, it's done in a grown up sensible fashion, sometimes the questions that are asked are so off that it's hard not to comment on them, sorry if my comment was ill mannered and unhelpful, that's not usually the way I work. In future I will be more thoughtful to new keepers, but the question about "why didn't it suffocate" was just so far off track it made me react in a manner that I now regret, enjoy your newly found hobby, but do all the research you can, on this forum, buy the book mentioned, some online research can be helpful "Tom's Big Spiders" for example. Bust most of all use your common sense, it's usually spot on.

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
No i been researching just about diffrent kinds of Ts
Just to let you know, there's more than a few threads on here dedicated solely to the care of rose hairs. I'd suggest looking through them thoroughly, as they'll contain all the information that's crucial to caring for that exact species. While I can at least appreciate that you put some effort into researching tarantulas, each species is different and has different care requirements. So you really need to look up the care requirements for the individual species when looking up care. In the event you don't know, the scientific name for Chilean rose hairs would be either G. porteri or G. rosea (that common name refers to two different species, but they actually do have the same care). Although just about everyone knows what a rose hair is, the scientific name makes it easier for yourself and everyone else, especially if you wind up expanding your collection and need to ask about a specific species. There's common names that apply to more than one species with vastly different care requirements. So using the common name can often delay how long it takes you to get help, because people will be asking for a scientific name. You should be able to find everything you'll ever need on here though. Many of us might come across a bit gruff or harsh at times, but it's honestly for the sake of the animals. You can imagine that hearing some questions make us worry for creatures many of us care very much about, so it's often an emotional response. But myself and others (especially others, because most of the people on here have YEARS of experience over me. Lol), will still always be willing to provide answers to help people learn. Good luck and I hope all goes well with it. Welcome to the club ;)

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
No your okay i understand it was a common sense question but im fixing to do more research
If you haven't already, check out The Dark Den and AraneAid on YouTube as well for some great videos that cover a variety of frequently asked stuff. This site is indexed by Google so if you type your question into the search bar then threads from here will show up in the results.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Tank (@The Grym Reaper) provided 2 of the best Youtube channels for info on tarantula care etc.

These guys are very informative and give great advice. Unfortunately, Youtube is flooded with bad info from people who arent as knowledgeable so please dont take advice on youtube as gospel. If you really need help with anything, just ask here. The boards has hundreds of active members willing to help :)

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Tank (@The Grym Reaper) provided 2 of the best Youtube channels for info on tarantula care etc.

These guys are very informative and give great advice. Unfortunately, Youtube is flooded with bad info from people who arent as knowledgeable so please dont take advice on youtube as gospel. If you really need help with anything, just ask here. The boards has hundreds of active members willing to help :)
You two keep changing your Avatar pictures, I keep getting them wrong, sorry guys....LOL

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
No i been researching just about diffrent kinds of Ts
Research the species you have now, then you will quickly learn how to care for it, in the manner it is supposed to be kept. Researching your own sp. is an easy thing to do, especially when all the information is a few typed sentences away, this forum has loads of info on your spider. Search for G. rosea or G. porteri care. You'll get all the information you require.