So... I guess 15 is the limit...

x Mr Awesome x

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That's what my fiance says anyway. I suppose that she is totally right. I have a tendency to go overboard on things. Here's a list of what I managed to get before the hammer dropped:
M.F.U
0.0.1 Aphonopelma chalcodes- baby (probably going to trade)
0.1.0 Acanthoscurria geniculata- in transit- juvie
0.0.1 Avicularia diversipes (fasciculata)-sling
0.1.0 Avicularia metallica- juvie
0.0.1 Avicularia versicolor-sling
0.1.0 Brachypelma albiceps- juvie
0.1.0 Brachypelma boehmei - juvie female
0.0.1 Brachypelma vagans- juvie
0.0.1 Cyriocosmus elegans- baby- super tiny!
0.1.0 Haplopelma lividum- adult female
0.1.0 Heteroscodra maculata- in transit
0.0.1 Lasiodora difficilis- baby
0.0.1 Poecilotheria miranda- sling
0.0.2 Pterinochilus murinus juvie, baby
The bright side is now I have a very nice collection that I get to sit back and enjoy!!!
-ben

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
With me, when I first got married I had 5 tarantulas. She said that they had to go. So I let them go but told her that one day I would start up again.
A couple years went by (5 years) and I wanted to start again and finally managed to convince her to allow one. Than I told her I wanted two, and then I got two.
Later wanted a third, and actually signed a contract with her to get the third lol. (contract is now long forgotten)
Than out of the blue she decided to make a deal for a forth. (she didn't think I would pull off the deal) I succeded in the task and bought #4.
Now almost 8 years went by since I sold my original collection and I got to make her forget about them and I'm up to 17 :D
I went from 4 to 17 in 2 months!!! She says I'm crazy but accepts it now. (kinda) Of course only the original 4 tarantulas can stay in the house. (You know there had to be some kind of catch) The others are in a T room I'm creating in the garage.:D
She occasionally looks at them and says in a nice way that I'm sick.

In my mind I'm finally free! Even my 2 daughters like them.

Last edited:

sharpfang

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Good Start!

You can always trade what you might not prefer for open space to get

another T........{smile} There is Always a loop-hole! LOL.............Jason

Enjoy-You have good taste in T's

thebugwife

Arachnopeon
Tell her she's got it easy! My husband had never seen a tarantula in the wild when we met, I took him to see his 1st....

We owned a few short term over the years....

One day he says, "There is this guy on craigslist selling a bunch of tarantulas, can we buy some?"......we come home with 120 laughing at ourselves, what are we going to do with all these spiders? haha.....

A few months later we pack the back of my pick up with 2000+ Ts once again laughing at ourselves all the way home...

You guys know most of the rest....

So now I live with 'Ken The Bug Guy' and his 15,000 inverts...

Mind you I'm not complaining, I did start it!

Tapahtyn

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Tell her she's got it easy! My husband had never seen a tarantula in the wild when we met, I took him to see his 1st....

We owned a few short term over the years....

One day he says, "There is this guy on craigslist selling a bunch of tarantulas, can we buy some?"......we come home with 120 laughing at ourselves, what are we going to do with all these spiders? haha.....

A few months later we pack the back of my pick up with 2000+ Ts once again laughing at ourselves all the way home...

That is great!! LOL nice to have you on board! My hubby said 25 is it and he doesn't know why that number fell out of his mouth. :) Too late. Yeah it's a strange hobby, but there are A LOT of other things we could have addictions for. I love hearing everyone's stories

Mistegirl

Arachnopeon
My boyfriend started grumbling around 15 too. Mostly because 12 are slings and he's wondering where they will all fit into our 1 bedroom apartment when they grow up. Silly boy! That's when you do breeding trades and get more slings to start over with!

Thankfully his overall thoughts are "as long as they don't smell or make noise I don't mind".

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
T limit...whats a T limit:embarrassed: ;P
Yeah I said I'd stop at 3...10...15...30...100...

PIG-

aracnophiliac

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Mine started like this I had a friend who was moving in to a new Mobile home. I was at the time Accepting Rescued Pets...She calls me screaming on the top of her lungs that there was a big spider in her house and I needed to come and get it befor it killed her...So I walk over and shes outside with the moving crew waiting for me..So I go in to the house and a previouse owner of the Molbile home left and Left his Grammostola Rosie In a tank and just left her there so naturally I couldnt let her squish A live animal as much as I hated spiders Or bugs at the time. So she came home with me and never left she is still with me along wiht another couple hundred now...LOL....Im glad I was opened up to the world Of Tarantulas...Dont know how I liuved so long with out them

flamesbane

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That's what my fiance says anyway. I suppose that she is totally right.
You know T's are more important right? Sounds like it is time for you to find a new woman....just kidding {D

Stories like that make me grateful that my wife loves inverts too...but I swear if she claims one more of my T's I don't know what I am going to do! (Actually I do, I will just use that as an excuse to buy some more T's)

pouchedrat

Arachnolord
Old Timer
LOL! I started earlier this year with T's. I've been living with my fiance for 5 years now, and during that time I wasn't allowed to have invertebrate pets, as they creeped him out. As a teenager I had A. gigas millipedes, madagascar fire pedes, hissing roaches, death's heads, giant caves, discoids, lobsters, mantids, and an eastern toe-biter I fell in love with and found one night under the lights of a gas station. Going from all kinds of cockroaches and millipedes to having no inverts at all kind of sucked.

It took 5 years before he let me get some millipedes again. About half a year later, I decided to ask if I could get my first T (he hates spiders), he said yes and let me get a G. pulchripes (aureostriata) sling for my V-day present. a month later, I bought a B. boehmei sling and a GBB sling.... and it escalated from there and now I have 18!

He's ok with them since they're small and sit on bookshelves and don't make noise or smell and he doesn't even have to see them, but a couple days ago he questioned what was going to happen 5 - 10 years down the road when all these slings are big arse spiders, lol. He said his skin is going to fall off from "shuddering so much"

I love him though, he really does let me get away with murder. Plus we bought a baby Prairie dog a couple weeks ago, and he's become his best buddy ever so he can't be mad at me. I just think furry spiders are cute, too, not just furry rodents!

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
This is when it pays to be single... who's gonna tell you to stop getting more Ts? No one, that's who! LOL

Mistegirl

Arachnopeon
This is when it pays to be single... who's gonna tell you to stop getting more Ts? No one, that's who! LOL
I'm almost afraid of what my apartment would look like without my boyfriend to keep me in check! The T's combined with my new found love for cresties.... it would be pretty full I can tell you that.

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
lol he didn't say I couldn't breed them :)
Haha, this is the situation I'm in, my dad said I can't buy anymore Ts (I have 9) but he didn't say I couldn't breed them. Hell my dad KNOWS I want to breed them. :)

thebugwife

Arachnopeon
...but I swear if she claims one more of my T's I don't know what I am going to do! (Actually I do, I will just use that as an excuse to buy some more T's)

Ha ha, we have an on going joke around here, If I name it or say its mine Ken sells it....so we started hiding things from him or leaving them off of the inventory{D

Tapahtyn

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Haha, this is the situation I'm in, my dad said I can't buy anymore Ts (I have 9) but he didn't say I couldn't breed them. Hell my dad KNOWS I want to breed them. :)
same here, I must give my husband credit, he has tried to learn a little more and does watch some videos with me, but honestly he could take the or leave them. Regardless of what you have it's great to learn about them!

pouchedrat

Arachnolord
Old Timer
LoL yeah, I bought a female and it turned out to molt into a male a month later, so I told my fiance that I was getting a female for him. He sort of rolled his eyes, but he was OK with it. Although every single house spider he sees he freaks out about and asks if one of my T slings is missing, lol!

Ms.X

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Love it! Or you could just find a partner whose enthusiasm matches your own...you must vet all applicants :)

Lucille

Arachnosquire
Old Timer

You did good. He is not only a great bug guy, he's a leader and a thinker, good for you for getting him started.

killy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That's what my fiance says anyway. I suppose that she is totally right. I have a tendency to go overboard on things. Here's a list of what I managed to get before the hammer dropped:
M.F.U
0.0.1 Aphonopelma chalcodes- baby (probably going to trade)
0.1.0 Acanthoscurria geniculata- in transit- juvie
0.0.1 Avicularia diversipes (fasciculata)-sling
0.1.0 Avicularia metallica- juvie
0.0.1 Avicularia versicolor-sling
0.1.0 Brachypelma albiceps- juvie
0.1.0 Brachypelma boehmei - juvie female
0.0.1 Brachypelma vagans- juvie
0.0.1 Cyriocosmus elegans- baby- super tiny!
0.1.0 Haplopelma lividum- adult female
0.1.0 Heteroscodra maculata- in transit
0.0.1 Lasiodora difficilis- baby
0.0.1 Poecilotheria miranda- sling
0.0.2 Pterinochilus murinus juvie, baby
The bright side is now I have a very nice collection that I get to sit back and enjoy!!!
-ben
Not so fast there, Mr Awesome! You left a couple of things out, methinks.:embarrassed: Prominently MISSING from your list is b smithi, g aureostriata, and c cyaneopubescens (and Kuro will be quick to add L Klugi) - tell your "financee" it ain't over 'til it's over! {D