So, I found this poor thing...

Campi95

Arachnosquire
Hey everybody. Gather around for a long read, but I promise this story has a happy ending.

A couple months ago I ran into this specimen while visiting the Yale Peabody museum of natural history.

997F561F-02F7-427F-B7EA-52CD0F7D5BE8.jpeg

Experienced keepers will know what the problem is right away but for anyone who is just starting: this is what it looks like when you have a tarantula kept with online caresheets. The substrate was wood chips (poor thing even webbed one spot over and stayed there, as if trying to avoid touching it). Her water dish was a wet tissue. Her hide was a crumpled cardboard. She seemed dehydrated and quite stressed.

Obviously what went through my mind was what is going through all of yours. “Why would they keep it in such horrible conditions?” I had no clue, so I struck some conversations with the volunteers staffing the discovery room. After 20 minutes of “oh no. Poor thing” I quickly discovered that they just had bad information, and since the little trooper had made it for over a year like that they assumed it was okay.

So I got to work. First off, who are we talking about? The volunteers only knew “female Haitian something”. I got ahold of her last molt and lo and behold, Harriet is Harry. They had assumed it was a female because “males only live a year”. I explained them that that year only starts counting AFTER they mature. The species dilemma would be harder. The mention of Haitian immediately had me thinking p. cancerides, however the strength of the urticating hairs when I handled the molt coupled with the pinkish hues I could see on the specimen had me thinking more towards a lasiodora sp. We are still not 100% sure on the species.

Next was to fix her enclosure. I contacted the curator, who was the only member of staff with a key to Harry’s enclosure. I politely let him know that the requirements for keeping a tarantula was very different than what was being used and volunteered my help in ensuring this specimen lasted them for a longer time.

We got together and added some lightly damp peat moss to the bottom of the enclosure, raising up the substrate level. I then poured leftover coco fiber, changed her water dish, and gave her a cork bark hide with some added plastic plants for decor.

7261D5A0-D388-435A-AA0C-5FAEDA4113BF.jpeg
That picture is Harry now. He looks happier and is settling into his new home, and has a fresh water dish on the corner. After talks with the curator, I decided to volunteer to have one of my adult specimens rotate on display on the science room for a couple weeks at a time. We are in talks to have an event focused only on arachnids and have several others from my collection displayed that day for the kids to see the variety. The first visitor is Blu my adult GBB female. My amazing girlfriend even made her a little sheet that answers some of the commonly asked questions that the kids have when looking at the tarantulas.
580EC827-3971-4506-B864-CD3FBB538FEB.jpeg

I also left them a copy of “The Tarantula Keeper’s Guide” by Stan Schultz, so the volunteers will have more material to answer the questions kids are asking.

The reason I am sharing this story is because as keepers, we are these creatures best ambassadors. It may sometimes seem easier to vilify people or educational institutions that have subpar husbandry, but it is often worth the time and effort to reach out to whoever is in charge and in a respectful manner encourage them to take better care of their animals.

A lot of times these people do care but have been provided the wrong information.

WildSpider

Arachnobaron
Hey everybody. Gather around for a long read, but I promise this story has a happy ending.

A couple months ago I ran into this specimen while visiting the Yale Peabody museum of natural history.

View attachment 284088

Experienced keepers will know what the problem is right away but for anyone who is just starting: this is what it looks like when you have a tarantula kept with online caresheets. The substrate was wood chips (poor thing even webbed one spot over and stayed there, as if trying to avoid touching it). Her water dish was a wet tissue. Her hide was a crumpled cardboard. She seemed dehydrated and quite stressed.

Obviously what went through my mind was what is going through all of yours. “Why would they keep it in such horrible conditions?” I had no clue, so I struck some conversations with the volunteers staffing the discovery room. After 20 minutes of “oh no. Poor thing” I quickly discovered that they just had bad information, and since the little trooper had made it for over a year like that they assumed it was okay.

So I got to work. First off, who are we talking about? The volunteers only knew “female Haitian something”. I got ahold of her last molt and lo and behold, Harriet is Harry. They had assumed it was a female because “males only live a year”. I explained them that that year only starts counting AFTER they mature. The species dilemma would be harder. The mention of Haitian immediately had me thinking p. cancerides, however the strength of the urticating hairs when I handled the molt coupled with the pinkish hues I could see on the specimen had me thinking more towards a lasiodora sp. We are still not 100% sure on the species.

Next was to fix her enclosure. I contacted the curator, who was the only member of staff with a key to Harry’s enclosure. I politely let him know that the requirements for keeping a tarantula was very different than what was being used and volunteered my help in ensuring this specimen lasted them for a longer time.

We got together and added some lightly damp peat moss to the bottom of the enclosure, raising up the substrate level. I then poured leftover coco fiber, changed her water dish, and gave her a cork bark hide with some added plastic plants for decor.

View attachment 284089
That picture is Harry now. He looks happier and is settling into his new home, and has a fresh water dish on the corner. After talks with the curator, I decided to volunteer to have one of my adult specimens rotate on display on the science room for a couple weeks at a time. We are in talks to have an event focused only on arachnids and have several others from my collection displayed that day for the kids to see the variety. The first visitor is Blu my adult GBB female. My amazing girlfriend even made her a little sheet that answers some of the commonly asked questions that the kids have when looking at the tarantulas.
View attachment 284090

I also left them a copy of “The Tarantula Keeper’s Guide” by Stan Schultz, so the volunteers will have more material to answer the questions kids are asking.

The reason I am sharing this story is because as keepers, we are these creatures best ambassadors. It may sometimes seem easier to vilify people or educational institutions that have subpar husbandry, but it is often worth the time and effort to reach out to whoever is in charge and in a respectful manner encourage them to take better care of their animals.

A lot of times these people do care but have been provided the wrong information.
This is awesome! Love your respect for others!

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Good job by all accounts. The only thing I would change for the future is removing hairs, and replacing with the proper name setae. Only mammals have hair.

Mirandarachnid

Arachnobaron
I looooove this. I've been fantasizing about trying to do something like this with the local zoo or discovery center. If I were to donate a T (under the conditions that I would oversee it's care), it would be one of my GBBs as well. Such great display T's, with the colors, feeding response, and webbing.

Campi95

Arachnosquire
Good job by all accounts. The only thing I would change for the future is removing hairs, and replacing with the proper name setae. Only mammals have hair.
You are very much correct. I wanted to do that, but it was my GF that kind of pushed me towards using the word hairs. Most of the people who visit that science room are kids, and we didn’t want to cause unnecessary confusion.

I looooove this. I've been fantasizing about trying to do something like this with the local zoo or discovery center. If I were to donate a T (under the conditions that I would oversee it's care), it would be one of my GBBs as well. Such great display T's, with the colors, feeding response, and webbing.
Go for it! I found it easy because she’ll stay for only a couple weeks (in which I don’t plan to feed her, she needs a diet anyways) and I left the enclosure locked with a combination padlock that only me and the curator can access.

Last edited by a moderator:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You are very much correct. I wanted to do that, but it was my GF that kind of pushed me towards using the word hairs. Most of the people who visit that science room are kids, and we didn’t want to cause unnecessary confusion.

This is more a philosophical discussion. I had a feeling you were going to say that. I can totally understand the rationale. However, there's no need to dumb down something in a SCIENCE room hahah. I would replace with setae, and write like this

"..setae, which are sort of like your hair, but only mammals have real hair"

OR more concise

"setae, which is a stiff hairlike or bristlelike structure"

Of course if the kids are like 5, hair is fine hah.

Campi95

Arachnosquire
This is more a philosophical discussion. I had a feeling you were going to say that. I can totally understand the rationale. However, there's no need to dumb down something in a SCIENCE room hahah. I would replace with setae, and write like this

"..setae, which are sort of like your hair, but only mammals have real hair"

OR more concise

"setae, which is a stiff hairlike or bristlelike structure"

Of course if the kids are like 5, hair is fine hah.

Yeah, the kids are about 8. That being said, I like the way you phrased it. I’ll have more space for the next specimen that rotates in, so I’ll put that up.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah, the kids are about 8. That being said, I like the way you phrased it. I’ll have more space for the next specimen that rotates in, so I’ll put that up.

At 8, some will understand others won't. It's worth being accurate.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Some parents might also try and help them understand too :).
I'd like to think so, but wouldn't count on it. Interests vary, I was a herp show, and this kid said "oh these are beautiful poison dart frogs", the kit could barely see over the table. The father had no idea. I looked at him and said your son is right.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
This is why I get so angry when my parents try to get me to donate my Ts to a Zoo. I’m not getting rid of them period but I can care much better for them then any zoo.
They hate my spiders because they think I’ll always be single because of them . Real reason is knee pain cannot do most jobs now struggling to find a sitting down job.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Dumb question, what is herp short for? I've heard it in a lot of posts.
NOT a dumb question! Google ;)

They hate my spiders because they think I’ll always be single because of them
Don't listen to narrow minded people. I had a cousin tell me the same thing about ALL my exotics. And her husband said "well if she won't like them, that's not the girl for him". Short story- I proved her wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sykomp

Arachnopeon
Her hide was a crumpled cardboard.
That doesn't look like cardboard at all - it's a piece of dry birch tree bark, unless my eyes are betraying me! I mean, it's thin and curly and doesn't make any better hiding spot for a T than cardboard does... but details like this just bother me, haha.

Anyway, nice work. Always nice to see not only that T getting a better life but also stories about educating people to better understand tarantulas.

Zymotic

Arachnopeon
That's mighty big of you. You could have just lectured them and been on your way, which is what I would have done. But instead, you offered to actually help them house little Harry properly.

MintyWood826

Arachnobaron
At least with all the misinformed people keeping tarantulas there are, things like this still happen. :)