1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So I drilled the holes for a sling and they were too big. It escaped

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by Shadowflare, May 13, 2019.

1. Shadowflare

Shadowflare Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    I know now what I should have done. But regardless, lesson learned. I look for it nightly. Still no luck.

I’m wondering if you guys have any stories about losing a sling and finding it later. Knowing my luck I’ll be playing MK11 and it will crawl on my leg at midnight or something funny like that.

2. NMWAPBT

NMWAPBT Arachnosquire Active Member

Are you sure it's still not in the enclosure somewhere? What species was it. And what size?

Also lock down the room as best you can and search the surrounding area any cozy dark places.

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2019
  3. Liquifin

Liquifin Arachnodemon Active Member

Slings that go missing are very hard too find since they are so little, so check very tight spots and small creases. No need to drill holes for slings. Just poke some holes with a pin on 2 oz delicups. 2oz delicups are the best for slings since they are small and efficient.

IMG_0471.JPG

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. EtienneN

EtienneN Arachnonovelist-musician-artist Arachnosupporter

First plug up the crack under the door with a towel or something. Then pick up articles of clothing from the floor and gently shake them out. If it's an arboureal, look up high. If it's a terrestrial, look low along the baseboards. What kind and what size sling? I'd grab a torch and look behind the shelf you had the enclosure sitting. You might be able to offer water in a shallow dish and see if it comes to that.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Arachnophoric

Arachnophoric Arachnodemon Active Member

Iowa
    Lots of good tips here, so i'll try to provide some hope; a user on here lost a Haplopus sp. sling that iirc was less than half an inch in DLS. Despite it being so tiny, they actually did end up finding it a few days later. Don't lose hope, and double check to make sure that bug on the floor isn't your T before you squish it.

We've had a user on here do that one, too. :(

6. Shadowflare

Shadowflare Arachnopeon

It was a curly haired tarantula. Honestly it looked to be less than a half inch. I didn’t measure it.

I dumped the substrate out into a large container and checked it a few times to make sure it wasn’t in there. I keep checking in the room every night. I’ve expanded the search to every room. I haven’t given up. I’ll probably find it 3 years from now when I’m not looking.

7. NMWAPBT

NMWAPBT Arachnosquire Active Member

He might be closer than you think lost a ball Python once and thought he was a goner found him two days later 3 feet from his enclosure. I know that the sling is considerably smaller but it could be the same scenario. I've have a wolf spider chilling around my bathroom for like a week and a half now see him every few days. So you're sling may still be in the same room probably huddled in a tight space somewhere.

8. Shadowflare

Shadowflare Arachnopeon

Yeah I’ll keep combing over the area. It would be funny if it was so close.

9. Theneil

Theneil Arachnoprince Active Member

USA
    I have found escaped snakes, escaped gerbils, and escaped geckos, but sadly not escaped Ts (unless you count a couple that did a runner during rehousing or pairing, but i din’t count it if it happens right in front of me and not more than a couple minuts long.

But a drill is so much nicer to use IMO. i highly recccomend a dremmel type rotary tool (mine is a 10 dollar cheapo from the horrible freight) and some circuit board drills. make quick clean holes as small as you could possibly want in hard or soft plastics. (condiment cups, dram vials, AMAC boxes, etc.)

10. Dry Desert

Dry Desert Arachnobaron Active Member

UK
    I have had escaped crickets and roaches turn up a few days later, but always on the ground floor - they seem to be going as far as possible away from where they where kept.

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2019
  11. I had one of my prize slings excape out of a larger hole, I was very pissed off for like 3 days. I bought 3 of them incase something happened like a bad molt or one just didn’t make it.

I was afraid of a 2nd one getting out so I placed its enclosure inside of a bigger plastic container and I found it one morning in the bigger plastic container. I’m so glad I did that. Now I make tiny holes but just put more holes, not taking any more chances like that

12. Actually I just had two slings escape last week. A C.shmidti and a Chilobrachys sp Vietnamese blue. I had these kritter keeper style enclosures for them and set them all up, however I hadn’t got new slings in years and underestimated their ability to squeeze through tight spaces.

I found the schmidti nearly immediately, it was hiding in a small crack next to the door. I have yet to find the Chilobrachys. I emptied the whole room searching everything carefully, checked all the nooks and crannies but there’s no sign of it. In the end it will either turn up or it won’t, same with yours.

The only thing you can really do is seal up the room and go check late at night with a flashlight, that’s the best chance of finding it. Leaving our water doesn’t really work, even if the spider does go to drink some the odds that you check at the time it is doing so are quite low.

Let us know if it turns up, I’ll let you know if my Vietnamese blue turns up too :banghead: :rolleyes:

13. Wormtail39

Wormtail39 Arachnosquire Active Member

have you tried this?

8Qyglgb.jpg

• Funny Funny x 3
  14. This is pretty unbelievable but I just found my Chilobrachys sling, I went to my tarantula room and flicked the light on and sure enough there it was right in the middle of the floor!

It's walking very strange though, I think it may have developed some kind of issue while it was lost because it seems very sick. Not sure if it will make it, but finding it is the first step so I'm grateful for that. Wishing you the best of luck with yours!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Wormtail39

Wormtail39 Arachnosquire Active Member

Poor thing it must have been on some pixar worthy adventure u will probs see its animated movie come out soon!

16. Theneil

Theneil Arachnoprince Active Member

USA
    I would imagine it is very likely dehydrated. being a moisture dependent species, in a typical home i suspect the substrate (be it carpet or hardwood) lacks the necessary moisture for a specimen to live long term.

17. Anoplogaster

Anoplogaster Arachnodemon Active Member

I once lost a young G. pulchripes male who wasn’t very small. He turned up in a pile of aquarium junk I had in a corner about a month later.

If you want a really hopeful story: I had an alligator lizard when I was a kid. She escaped once. After a few days of desperately searching, I accepted that she was likely gone for good. Then, six whole months went by, and I spotted a tail moving on a shelf next to me while I was watching tv. I expected it to be a rat. But sure enough, I moved some stuff out of the way and there she was! And she was bigger!

So don’t give up. And yes, don’t kill things without looking carefully first!

• Like Like x 1
  18. That would make a great Pixar movie, a movie about a tarantula!

I agree, I gave it water immediately and put it into a suitable environment but the damage was done and it didn’t make it :( It is a shame caused by a stupid mistake from myself

• Like Like x 1
  19. Ungoliant

Ungoliant Malleus Aranearum Staff Member

I've had one near-escape, a very lucky break a few months ago.

I opened the condiment cup to feed my Phormictopus sling. It got spooked and climbed out onto the rim of the container. I tried to nudge it back into the container, but it bolted across the little side-desk where I kept it and fell.

I thought it was lost for sure, as this area of the floor is kind of cluttered and has heavy shelves and bins behind which an escaped sling could run. Fortunately, it landed on a crumpled paper towel that was down there, and when I opened it, the sling had crawled into the folds of the paper towel. I quickly closed it back up, placed the paper towel in my rehousing bin, and managed to get the sling back into its condiment cup.

The sling is doing fine now; I don't trust it one bit.

20. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

I have tons of stories like this....all from people in this forum. And all for the same reason-- underestimating nature.

• Funny Funny x 1